Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How long does it take to become a professional player can

Old
Thumbs up
How long does it take to become a professional player can - Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
I'm going to put all the related poker book a few times, and then playing every day 3-4 hours a day to the 4 hours, do not know this way, adhere to the many long time can be a professional player.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 03:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
about 6 more hours and you will be good to go

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Before we ask the question 'how long does it take to become', let's first ask ourselves this:

What defines a Professional Poker Player?

In my mind it's purely a statement of financial status. Therefore I'll put forward the definition that:

'A Professional poker player is a person that can support himself financially by generating an income from playing poker'

Knowledge of game is important. It's good to read books and watch videos, but it's not enough if somebody desires to become a pro. There are other skills that are needed including:
  • 1. Bankroll Building & Management
  • 2. Planning
  • 3. Time Management
  • 4. Organisational Skills
  • 5. Communication Skills
  • 6. Contingency Planning

and many other things to consider.

Pro Players make many sacrifices in life. In order to make money from the game many have to relocate to where the action is at. A large chunk of the year is spent away from home and from loved ones.

Each of the above are foundation stones. There are probably others I'm unaware of. Have them in place and you have a good foundation on which to start building a solid career in the world of poker.

As for how long will it take? Well, that will vary for each individual and depend on their ability to put the above into place.

Raiser

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Its took me a month.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
I was born a Pro - i just got worse over time. lol B

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Realistically, less than 1% of players are capable of playing at a high enough level to make a living wage.

Being a pro poker player is a tough row to hoe, search the forums for some expert advice.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:33 AM
(#7)
Deleted user
The old rule of thumb is this:
"If you have to ask,your not ready"!

It is a common question asked on a lot of poker forums and this is usually the number one reply.
Short and sweet and it kind of jolts the person asking the question.

You can go through the Pokerstars team to give you a idea as they have bios you can read.
A lot of the pros are from 2005-2006 era when money was flying around and they could play without worrying of going broke as much as it factors in today. The micros are so much harder now and we all dream of the day the fish come back.

Most people I see spend a year before they realize they need to learn some more about poker.
The next 6 months they improve a lot but they are not ready to go Pro.
The drive is immense and you need to live and breathe poker. Dwan is a classic example!
Look at who he talked hands with when he started out?

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 09:50 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
What defines a Professional Poker Player?

In my mind it's purely a statement of financial status. Therefore I'll put forward the definition that:
That is 100% incorrrect. All I need to say is Jamie Gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
Realistically, less than 1% of players are capable of playing at a high enough level to make a living wage.
I don't really like to think about it that way, although it might be correct. The way I look at it, out of all the people that have attempted making a living off of poker, the percentage that accomplishes it is much higher than 1%. Browsing the 2+2 forums it seems like every other poster is someone making some sort of living off poker.

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Thu Dec 01, 2011 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: added Joy's quote

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 02:25 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2011
thank you!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com