Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

November Swansong AKs

Old
November Swansong AKs - Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I'm a little miffed with this hand. Not a nice way to end the month.

It was the regional 10th Anniversary Sunday Storm Freeroll Satellite (UK & Ireland)

It was paying 85 $11 tickets and and $9 for 86th place, I was running about 93rd about 3.5K chips behind the paid places. I thought my stack size was very difficult for a lot of players at the table to call if I shoved.

By my calculations, picking up the dead money and the limper if they fold I was looking solid for a ticket.

I got this far on my 'free' 1,500 chips for entry plus the $0.50 add-on of 2,000 chips, I had not needed to rebuy. Out of 1,830 entries there were 607 rebuys and 181 add-ons. So I was pretty pleased to be in this position late in the tournament.

Should I have shoved? Was this a foolish risk? Or did the fact that I needed to win more chips, although probably only one more hand, make this the ideal spot to play?

I'm pretty sure the villain made a bad call, as they would have swapped places with me if they lost and been outside the ITM spots.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I busted 109th

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Nov 30, 2011 at 06:02 PM..

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
So there are only 7 people to the money and you are not incredibly short? Just fold it out and wait for KK vs AA

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
lol tough one Ed, but you should have folded to the $$$$$

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 06:22 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puciek View Post
So there are only 7 people to the money and you are not incredibly short? Just fold it out and wait for KK vs AA
I busted 109th so there were, 23 outside the money at that point, I was in the middle of that chasing pack going into the hand. I was becoming pretty short compared to the other stacks outside the money, and I am the short stack at my table, but still have fold equity on most players. I don't think I am going to have enough hands to wait for a monster to play and I do need to get chips. If I had folded here I would have dropped to about 100th, with stack sizes around

ITM 86th 25K
me 100th 18K
Last 108th 15K

I'm just not sure really, I'm usually pretty good at judging the end game if I am near the bubble in a satellite, but this game lasted almost half an hour longer to the bubble, so maybe I had enough chips to get there. I was following other small stacks' tables and there was a lot of clocking and not much action, so I felt I had to make a move in some spot and this looked about as good as I could hope for.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:10 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
You got your money in good but got outdrawn - I'm shoving every time with AK, it's not like you get a premium hand every time. If you were sure you were in the money, then it's a fold, but as presented, I'm all in.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 01:19 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
It's pretty close. Would need reads on the limper and BB. If they know how to play then it's a good shove. Buuut, if they're limping they clearly don't, which means they'll have a fairly wide calling range. As much as I hate folding it's probably slightly better to just wait it out. You still have 9 BBs. Surely these guys are playing wildly enough that you can just fold out and you have a better chance at lasting until the top 86 than of winning a hand with AK? With fold equity it's closer, but this is the time to take the nitty approach. Chip accumulation is the least of your worries until you fall below 5 BBs, at which point you really lose fold equity.

By the way villain call was super horrendously terrible.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 04:56 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
EdinFreeMan

I qualified from one of those and I was surprised how long it took to lose the last 20 or so players. I sat on a stack I thought was easily large enough and it resulted in a few cloth-touching moments close to the bubble.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 05:20 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
I personally would have bet 3xBB or folded, depending on the position I was, and in your position I would have folded as I would not want to commit and risk missing out of the prize on a coin flip. I certainly would not have shoved. If I did play it, I'd have folded to any raise, and i'd have check/folded if I missed the flop so close to the bubble. In my experience, AK rarely wins, and while its statistically one of the best hands you can get, in practice, its not. I actually HATE being dealt this hand because I've busted out of many tourneys with it.

And the person who called you often calls shoves when they are deeper stacked. I've seen them do it quite a lot. Some people call if they have a face card or low pair, and can afford to lose, just for the ride. In these UK tourneys you'll see a lot of the same faces so you want to take note of how they play.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 05:56 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That's tough. You're right on the border of having enough chips to get in... but.. you may still need to win 1 hand to get it. Personally, I think you might have needed a set of blinds or 2. When it gets near the bubble in these, the maniac play slows down ALOT and you'll normally need to survive an extra time or 2 around the table.

I liked the play with AK and was a pretty loose call by the opp with J 10 but they did have the chips to try it.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 06:14 PM
(#10)
I think the caller was pretty loose, and putting their solid ITM place at risk.

However - all came good tonight - got the $11 ticket for the 10th Anniversary Sunday Storm at the second attempt, without rebuys or add-ons, so the two games cost me $0.50 total.

I just shaved in 79th of 81, if it had gone one more hand I would have been all in on the blinds.

I laid down an AK a few orbits before the bubble that would have won and made me 'safe'. I'm still not sure if I would go with this hand again in the same circumstances.

Thanks for all your input and good luck

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 03:17 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
I busted 109th so there were, 23 outside the money at that point, I was in the middle of that chasing pack going into the hand. I was becoming pretty short compared to the other stacks outside the money, and I am the short stack at my table, but still have fold equity on most players. I don't think I am going to have enough hands to wait for a monster to play and I do need to get chips. If I had folded here I would have dropped to about 100th, with stack sizes around

ITM 86th 25K
me 100th 18K
Last 108th 15K

I'm just not sure really, I'm usually pretty good at judging the end game if I am near the bubble in a satellite, but this game lasted almost half an hour longer to the bubble, so maybe I had enough chips to get there. I was following other small stacks' tables and there was a lot of clocking and not much action, so I felt I had to make a move in some spot and this looked about as good as I could hope for.

First is first, AMOUNT OF PLAYERS LEFT is the most crucial and you put it as last one in your post. Not good idea.

Chip difference like that 15k-18k-23k doesn't matter. You steal on blind - you nullify it and you can't count your possibility to get ITM like that.

Given how far away are you from ITM, it's a shove. If he makes a horrible call then it's his right to do. I would understand his call if this was a bubble, but here it's just so dorian.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 04:41 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
As I said in the Corral last night you were just unlucky but you got there in the end anyway.

After last night's game I'm right off AK, four times it got me in trouble lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com