Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

JJ $1.50 9max SNG

Old
JJ $1.50 9max SNG - Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2010
The guy has a VPIP of 44 in just 9 hands played with him an AF 2.0

I really thought he had KK or AA and played it with stupid small min raise then jammed on the flop coz that's the easiest way to deal with it.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2010
Later in the match the same dude. Now he's stats look like this: VPIP 33 PFR 6 AF 7 in 41 hands

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think you're making the opp's range be too narrow. They could also have a set or Qx... but if they had a set, they played the hand pretty poorly and lost value. KK or AA really shouldn't shove the flop too, as they're losing value as they have an overpair to the board. Since it's a battle of the blinds, the opp could be on complete air here... and wants you to think they have a real hand.

I do like the fold on the flop.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:32 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
After watching that first hand, his bet sizing should be an instant alert that you are dealing with a complete muppet. Good flop fold, easy opponent to outplay later.

Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Thu Dec 01, 2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
If that is your thought, then the only question is did you have enough reason to call the 160...

You gotta look at it like this, you will hit a set only about 1 time in 8.5.
If you are facing AA/KK as you suspect, then what were your implied odds in that spot?

With a total of 1370 in his stack, and with a total call of 160, you are bang on the price you need to see to set mine (8.56 to 1), so if you suspect he will stack off with an over pair, you are getting a price to call the raise to 160 even if you are pretty sure he has AA/KK.

160 is a bit over 10% of your stack. Normally I would only take implied odds alue if it were between 5% and 10% of my chips (or less), but with the blinds at 10/20, and you able to fold out of the way if you do not flop a set with 65BB+ still in your stack, I do not think this is a problem.

The one thing you have to be pretty sure about though...

You do not let yourself get married to JJ if it is an over pair hand.

If you are firm in your read, you BARELY are getting the price you want. If the flop comes 8 hi, that means you are looking to muck to just about ANY bet from the villain, or else you are going against your read.

As played though, I see nothing at all wrong with what you did here...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com