Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Did I Play Correctly?

Old
Did I Play Correctly? - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi there,

I played this hand last night at a live tournament at the pub. I won the hand, but wondered if I played correctly in the long term.

I was in the BB with Q4 off and saw a flop with 3 opponents.

The flop came QQ9 with 2 spades.

I bet half pot as was called by the dealer button.

The turn was 10s, to which I checked. This (I feel) if where I should have bet again for value, but checked as my opponent was a relatively inexperienced player. Should I bet for value in the long term?

The river was 4c. My opponent shoved, I called. She had KJ for a turned straight.

Ultimately I got all her chips, but am I missing added value on the turn in the long term as no player showed any strength throught the hand?

Cheers,

James

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Since you took the line of betting with that flop then 10s doesn't change much and you should continue your aggression. Same OTR, you got the initiative and for all your villian knows - you may just be airbaling.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
if you raised pre-flop and bet on the flop, a c-bet on the turn for value should be made, make them pay to draw another card to beat you, dont give it for free

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:50 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
if you raised pre-flop and bet on the flop, a c-bet on the turn for value should be made, make them pay to draw another card to beat you, dont give it for free
Where did he bet pref...? Did i miss something... ?

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:55 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthefish View Post
Hi there,

I played this hand last night at a live tournament at the pub. I won the hand, but wondered if I played correctly in the long term.

I was in the BB with Q4 off and saw a flop with 3 opponents.

The flop came QQ9 with 2 spades.

I bet half pot as was called by the dealer button.

The turn was 10s, to which I checked. This (I feel) if where I should have bet again for value, but checked as my opponent was a relatively inexperienced player. Should I bet for value in the long term?

The river was 4c. My opponent shoved, I called. She had KJ for a turned straight.

Ultimately I got all her chips, but am I missing added value on the turn in the long term as no player showed any strength throught the hand?

Cheers,

James
Your actions were fine.

You got a free flop and hit trips. You didn't slow play it (I hope) because there were threats to your hand in terms of straight and flush draws.

We would really need to know blind levels and stack sizes to say whether or not your half pot bet was good, whether you should have shipped the trips, or what. But assuming it was somewhat early in the event, and you had a 50BB+ stack (and it was 50BB+ effective), then a half pot bet denies odds effectively to a 9 out draw while still being inviting enough to a lesser hand that they may call.

The turn threw up a potential trouble card for you. You have to consider that a lot of the hands that might call you consist of flush draws, so there is really nothing wrong with a check oop on the turn. By that point, with both straights and flushes possible, and with the turn card being LARGER than the off card on the flop, it is going to be somewhat hard for you to get called by less than your trips.

If you do not have a ton of chance to get called by less, then your hand has marginal value, and a check/call or check/fold line can be fine. Realistically, if you lead out on the turn the villain is very un-likely to fold a made straight after calling a half pot bet to spike the gut shot. If you lead into her, she may well jam and you'd have to fold trips there with no chance of seeing if the river boat you.

I have a question though, when you make the boat on the river, did you lead out?

I should hope so, as by then you have to expect you are on the best hand, and whatever the villain stuck around with for the flop bet will either be enough to call (or raise), or it won't. On the river you DO have real value, so un-like the turn, you really should be leading out. Sometimes the villain will be on air and fold, but you do not want her to wriggle off the hook for a bet that she might have called, after you boat up.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puciek View Post
Where did he bet pref...? Did i miss something... ?
sorry my bad he didnt, still a c-bet on the turn after a bet on the flop is valid

btw i think he had position the villain shoved after the river, so he could not have lead out

Old
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 06:20 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
That is correct - she lead out with an all-in bet. I started the hand with around 60BB, she has 35-40ish.

I would've bet for value on the river, but not shoved as I wanted marginal hands to call, but will always get missed draws to fold. Turns out I was a bit fortunate, but ill take it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com