Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Was i right here?

Old
Was i right here? - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
villain had re-raised pretty much 3/4th of the hands preflop so far.

Had QQ I raised, he re-raised as expected so i re-raised him again and he called.

flop was pretty dead for a 4 dollar pot. I made the aggressive c-bet that came with the preflop bet and he folded.

I put him on AKs or something and he missed. easy 2 bucks made

I think if I didnt have the info on this guy re-raising so much i would of problaby just called 0.45 bet, shows how valueable a read can be.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
If you would just call 0.45 then this a leak to be fixed, and a serious one.

As for hand, this is a dry board (and a very dry one against a loose-aggro player who will very often show 76, 89, 99 type of hands here) so calling it "dead" is.... misleading at best.

Now for the hand, pref 2$ is too much. Make it about 1.2, then you are not commited to the pot (if you bet 2$ here, you may just go all-in). As played, ship in the dark. If someone flats a 4-bet, it calls for blank ship (live i do that 80% of time, just ship it in before flop comes), so in online - no matter what kind of flop falls you are going all-the-way-in

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
If your intent was to exploit your read by setting up an easy jam for yourself on any over pair hand, you did fine.

Your raise size, by making it $2 to go, might have been a BIT larger than necessary though.

When villain 3bets you to 45c, you are already into short SPR situation on the flop (just over 4). That means setting a TARGET SPR of around 2 makes your thought to jam with an over pair pretty easy, but without exposing you as much as the 4bet you made if overs do flop.

To hit an SPR on the flop of about 2, you;d have only needed to raise to aorund $1 to go. If a raise of that amount got called, the pot would stand around $2.05, and you;d have had right around $4 in your stack. You are the effective stack here...

As played though, your larger raise is fine, as in the event you ARE on an over pair (about 58% to 59% of the time), you have a larger take down that you'd likely have had with a lesser raise. Plus, the lower SPR (just under 1) that you created means that the villain may be all but forced to call if he flops an 8 or 9 out draw. The only problem with your 4bet sizing is that it may well have folded out a lot of hands he may have called with, tha are behind your QQ...

If your read extended to include the fact that the villain would also CALL 4bets somewhat lite, then your sizing is fine.

Good pot and good hand.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:13 AM
(#4)
<13:08:05>"Tony (Mudcreek)": early pre flop raise is spot on with a monster like QQ
<13:08:28>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": ye he was pretty much 3xing every hand on the table
<13:08:43>"Tony (Mudcreek)": when you're out of position like that you have to have a good hand
<13:08:53>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": so im like ship me the goods im be willing to take em
<13:09:24>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": i put him on ak aq aj or kq or something
<13:09:40>"Tony (Mudcreek)": if a K or A hits on the flop, you still should bet, if he smooth calls you dont get the info you need, and should check the turn
<13:09:47>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": he called too much to just have suited connectors
<13:10:24>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": the best he could have is ace rag and rag hits the board for a small pair
<13:10:34>"Tony (Mudcreek)": if he played connectors here he and hi the str8 draw he would have called
<13:10:50>"Tony (Mudcreek)": i think your read was right, he was on Ax
<13:11:47>"Tony (Mudcreek)": if he was in the pot that much he probably would have called with a pair and chased you to the river
<13:12:25>"Tony (Mudcreek)": gotta go, c ya later, Ron

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:18 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
<13:08:05>"Tony (Mudcreek)": early pre flop raise is spot on with a monster like QQ
<13:08:28>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": ye he was pretty much 3xing every hand on the table
<13:08:43>"Tony (Mudcreek)": when you're out of position like that you have to have a good hand
<13:08:53>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": so im like ship me the goods im be willing to take em
<13:09:24>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": i put him on ak aq aj or kq or something
<13:09:40>"Tony (Mudcreek)": if a K or A hits on the flop, you still should bet, if he smooth calls you dont get the info you need, and should check the turn
<13:09:47>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": he called too much to just have suited connectors
<13:10:24>"XxTiberxX @ work no sound": the best he could have is ace rag and rag hits the board for a small pair
<13:10:34>"Tony (Mudcreek)": if he played connectors here he and hi the str8 draw he would have called
<13:10:50>"Tony (Mudcreek)": i think your read was right, he was on Ax
<13:11:47>"Tony (Mudcreek)": if he was in the pot that much he probably would have called with a pair and chased you to the river
<13:12:25>"Tony (Mudcreek)": gotta go, c ya later, Ron

The comments here are pretty right, but the problem I see is that ANY lead out by you on the flop is sticking you for your whole stack. As you bet it, that is fine...live and die on your strong hand versus someone you have a read on. The $2 raise was too big for you to do much of anything except lead the flop for the rest.

That is why I think, overall, I prefer the smaller 4bet sizing overall.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:27 AM
(#6)
iknow, normally i would of just 3xed him for 1.35 but because he 3xed so much I was on a small tilt and I just thought, show me the money, see if you got the balls to call.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:30 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
You had a strong enough hand for it...

So it is all good.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com