Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Member Blogs / Member of the Month /

SkinyButPhat applies for MOTW !!!

Old
SkinyButPhat applies for MOTW !!! - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
ChromeStar
Hello All,

This is my first application for MOTW and while I totally understand that this is a promotion with stiff competition, I still wanted to apply anyway. With exams under way and a boat load of work to do this weekend, I had to apply early as I would not have the time to do so on Sunday.

Who is SkinyButPhat??

I am a single guy, in his 30's, who after many years in a specific industry, pulled up my roots and moved so that I could go back to school and change my occupation. This has been an incredible challenge, as I have not been active in school for about 18 years, but as of today, I am in the top 5% of my class and striving to be # 1 by the end of the semester and the year.

My poker life began about 4 years ago, innocently enough when I went over to a freinds house and watched him play what I think was an 11$ tourney on Pokerstars, and finish in the top 3 for a cash of about $980.00 if I recall. I was floored that he could do such a thing, and immediately went home and downloaded the software and began my Freeroll journey to learn the game.

Within a few months, I was consistently getting my Weekly tickets and have even won Galileo's and Hubble's each once !!! I eventually decided to deposit $25.00 and had some mild success, but in the end moved up too quickly and had no idea what Bankroll Management was all about.

This year I have decided to take a step back and try to actually learn about the game, instead of just playing it. I have come here almost every day for months, and just love what this site has to offer, and thos who give their input.

Poker Stories are not always about Money !!

This is easy. My one and only great victory in Poker was against my father about two years ago, who, lets just say, is a little bit of a smack talker. The bet was that we would play heads up Poker and the winner of this game would have to buy beer for a month for the other. On a Sunday, watching NFL, I kicked his butt, and every day for a month I would call him and demand he come over and bring my favourite suds with him. Teaching the old man some humility was my greatest victory to date. I have won money, and even won $1100.00 a few years back on other site for finishing 2nd in a big tourney. But sometimes its not about money, its about pride !!!

Best Lesson to Date

I think this has to be that no matter what you think you know about poker, you just dont know as much as you think you do. It is a game that evolves, and as such, you have to be willing to move with the times. Constantly reviewing your play, evaluating your decisions, and learning from your mistakes are all key. As well, having patience and the ability to be rational in your decision making has helped me thus far in my poker life.

Becoming a Better SkinyButPhat

Wow, this one is super easy. I have been on this site for a while, and I have taken the opportunity to watch videos, do the Quizzes, read the forum posts, and then try to apply some of what I have learned when I am at the tables. I study the content in here the same way I would for school, and constantly review what I have learned to ensure I am grasping concepts and some of the more technical lingo of the game.

In summary, I just want to thank everyone here for all of the help and assistance, the kind words, the encouragement, and the time and decication they show to being genuine in their desire to make others better Poker players. Thanks to the site for being a beacon for poker knowledge and I look forward to being a part of this community for years going forward !!

See you at the tables !!!

Facebook Link

http://www.facebook.com/#!/SkinnyButPhat?sk=wall

Twiiter Link

https://twitter.com/#!/SkinnyButPhat

Best Blog Link

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=20349

Best Forum Post
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Advice-Please

Thanks again everyone !!! Best of Luck to all !!!

Last edited by SkinyButPhat; Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: requested, spelling errors, requested

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
We need link to a forum post in order for your application to be complete.

Please supply that by editing it into your application thread.

Nice application!

Thanks.

-JDean

**REQUIREMENTS MET**

Last edited by JDean; Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old
Ooopss !! - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:41 PM
(#3)
ChromeStar
I will do so, thanks, totally gapped on that. All this exam studying is frying my brain !!!

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:47 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
good luck, glad to see you applying for this!!!

Old
Fixed - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 04:23 PM
(#5)
ChromeStar
I think that I fixed it all and the links seems to all work !! Thanks for the heads up !!

Old
Thanks - Sat Dec 03, 2011, 04:06 PM
(#6)
ChromeStar
Thank for those who have offered kind words, and for the two that decided to PM me and let me know how un-impressed they are with my body of work and how if I should win,it would be an abolsute travesty, thank you as well. I will strive to make my blog and forum posts more ineresting and as I learn more, will include more of the technical language.

Its a shame my #1love is basketball, cuz I could tech-lingo that all day long and look like Mike K. at Duke, baby !!

Positive or negative, I welcome the feedback. Although, if negative, at least put a happy face in your IM as, really, I don't deserve to be put down, you could at least do it with a smile.

Old
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 04:44 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi SkinyButPhat,

I haven't read your blog (but i shall), but the posts i have read from you have been good ones...I enjoyed them they inspired good repies and are useful for more than just your self.

I think you are well on the way for a strong run personally,

Good luck,

Grade b

(ok went and read your Blog - love it... i guess you can't please everyone)

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Added Blog comment

Old
Thanks - Sat Dec 03, 2011, 06:43 PM
(#8)
ChromeStar
Thanks, for that Grade b, nice to know it at least makes an impression !!

I watched a couple of Effsea's tourneys today while writing my last essay for school. I can't wait to see you do the same !!

Make sure to post whe you are playing !!

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 01:02 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Hi!

Applications for week #4 are now open.

Please indicate by posting on your thread some time this week that you want to take part in week #4 (assuming you do not win week #3 that is! )
If you are no longer interested in participating, a note on that is helpful as well.

A couple of helpful tips to increase your chances:

1) Update the links in your application thread.
New forum posts and blog posts tend to be more active than older ones, so replacing out dated links to threads which have run their course can help your score.
Make sure you update your application post itself, and not just post new links in the thread!

2) Try to make your content and style of posts as interesting as possible.
Not only does a compelling blog or forum thread generate more interest for the reader (thus more views), your MOW links will be judged on style and content too; the more interesting they are, the better those scores are likely to be!

3) Try to keep the links to your Week #4 blog and forum post submission near the top of your Face Book and Twitter pages.
The more people you can reach via Social Media, the better chance there is you will generate intrest in your posts. If you let your links slip down your Social media pages, fewer people will see them.

Good Luck!

-JDean

Old
Good Luck !! - Sun Dec 04, 2011, 05:39 PM
(#10)
ChromeStar
Good luck to all those that applied !!

After re-reading a lot of posts about the promotion, I have decided that I will probably take a few weeks off from applying, if not longer.

It is almost impossible to garner the #'s that older members have on here when you are a newbie, and there is easily 10 people who have applied that are members since 2010.

I will be back over the month, just have exams to focus on for a week or so !! Mid December I will be playing with a bigger BR and will update as I go.

Peace

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 05:52 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinyButPhat View Post
Good luck to all those that applied !!

After re-reading a lot of posts about the promotion, I have decided that I will probably take a few weeks off from applying, if not longer.

It is almost impossible to garner the #'s that older members have on here when you are a newbie, and there is easily 10 people who have applied that are members since 2010.

I will be back over the month, just have exams to focus on for a week or so !! Mid December I will be playing with a bigger BR and will update as I go.

Peace

Keep in mind SkinyButPhat, the views are only counted within the Week. an old thread with 1100 or 1500 views only has the views in the current week counted.

This is done to keep the playing field level for both long time members and newer members.

Obviously, real life considerations should take precedence over poker, especially when they are something as important as exams, but if your only reason for not applying again is because you think you do not have a chance against long term members, that simply isn't true...

Good luck on your exams no matter what, and since you really seem to hav eput up some very nice posts, I cannot wait for you to really get active in the PSO forum when those are done!

-JDean

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 06:14 PM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
Dear skinybutphat,

It is true that i have been a member of PSO since july2010. But the truth of the matter is i only became an active member in the last 3 months or so.

The good thing about the contest is its based on 1 week and the post / blog you have selected for that week.

this means new or old members have the playing field.

Grade b

That said I understand about exams coming first.

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:15 PM
(#13)
ChromeStar
I have three weeks off soon, will be making a slight bump up in my BR as I want to play some of my fav games while I am relaxing with my time off school in about a week and half.

Also, since I did not earn the 20+VPP's in November, and I am stuck for free time at the moment, I am probably not going to be able to play many PSO Open League games either until mid month. Even if I finished extremely high, my payout would be max 2.00 or so !!! lol

I will be lurking and posting to Forum, but the blog might have to wait a couple weeks until I have something poke related to write about. ForN now its Accounting , Math, Econ., and Marketing exams and final papers. YIPPEEE !! You are all jealous, you know it !!

That is the rationale for not posting or applying again JDean, just not much to post about. In regars to views and such, I will just have to make my stuff that much more interesting !!!

Believe me, its not that I think that people like me have NO chance, its just that we might have a slight disadvantage from those with " followers" on the site. That just means I need more followers !!!! And that is up to me to create stuff people want to read !! So..........I shall !

180 Views for one blog this week wasn't so bad, i beat Pokerstars Admin !!!! bahahahahahaha

Peace out, will have a great new blog in a week or so, also have just figured out hand replayer, so could be some exciting stuff coming .......

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com