Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Ed's Astronomical Freeroll Blog Thread

Old
Ed's Astronomical Freeroll Blog Thread - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Just sticking this here to keep track of and discuss the Astronomer Freerolls. Had a couple of goes in these today, whilst playing other stuff.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Hubble Bubble Double Trouble - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 01:24 PM
(#2)
Was running about 75th of 310 in the Hubble NLHE Freeroll, (9,000 players -pays tickets to 72).
3 hours into the tournament, I was dealt two monsters within four hands.

Hand 1
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Hand 2

*** SHOW DOWN ***
chesspoquer: shows [Ad Qd] (a pair of Queens)
wertt33: shows [Js Ts] (two pair, Jacks and Tens)
wertt33 collected 45556 from side pot
EdinFreeMan: shows [As Ah] (a pair of Aces)
wertt33 collected 105621 from main pot
EdinFreeMan finished the tournament in 129th place

A bad ending to a pretty good attempt, I haven't played one of these for a while and my stock of WR2 tickets has run out.

All I have to say about this is that at this point of the game and in my position, these are probably the only two hands I am playing and I am probably shoving them expecting calls (or calling shoves). If I get beat, running KK into AA then so be it, or even getting my Aces cracked. Both hands have excellent chances of winning huge pots, due to the many loose callers even at this stage, which would have lifted me to the ITM positions and pretty much given me a lock on the WR2 ticket.

Good luck all

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Dec 02, 2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old
Halley's & Tombaugh's Omaha Practice - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 04:22 PM
(#3)
One of the reasons I've returned to the Astronomer Freerolls is because I want to practice some variant poker games with a view to playing them for cash in the future. The only game other than holdem that I play for real money at the moment is Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo (aka PLO8). I play at the $0.01/$0.02 cash tables to earn VPPs. I have certainly improved since I first started, but only to the extent that I don't lose as much as I used to.

I would like to play Omaha Hi for cash as well as the Hi/Lo version. To this end I am playing some of the astronomer games that include this game.

Halley's is purely pot limit Omaha Hi which gives plenty of practice but doesn't always last too long. Tombaugh's is a mix of Omaha and PLHE, so if splurge chips in Omaha hands I have a chance to get them back at a game I am more familiar with.

My usual strategy is to play very few Omaha hands unless I can see cards cheap, then get a lot of chips in when I hit a strong hand. I realise a lot of other players in these freerolls are new to the games so I am probably going with weaker hands than I would playing for money. For instance I pick up a good pot here (in Tombaugh's) with two pairs, starting with a hand with three broadway cards that flops an open ended straight draw, misses but picks up top pair plus 3rd pair, which here is strong enough.

That gives me a nice stack so when I get to the PLHE I can see more hands and exploit my big draws like this one when they hit.

currently about 100 of 1650 in Tombaughs, 380 of 480 in Halley's

Good luck all

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Dec 02, 2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 04:46 PM
(#4)
Busted from Halley's. Was getting short and had an OK double suited starting hand, caught two big pairs and had to commit to the hand but always suspected it was not going to be enough on this board.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
tato038: shows [4c Ac Qc 9h] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
alek$andr908: shows [Kd Jd 8h 9s] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
tato038 collected 10202 from side pot
EdinFreeMan: shows [Td Kh Jh 9d] (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
tato038 collected 15800 from main pot
alek$andr908 finished the tournament in 392nd place
EdinFreeMan finished the tournament in 393rd place

393 of 9,000 - a long way from the bubble but not too shabby.

currently 135 of 1000 in Tombaugh's

Good luck all

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#5)
The last hand of PLHE before we switch back to PLOmaha a nice pot lifts me to about 80th of 450

wheeeeeeeee QUADS!!!

Now I have to start thinking about trying for the ticket, rather than just practising my Omaha.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:15 PM
(#6)
Went through a whole session of PLHE without getting a hand, so had to play an Omaha hand in the next session.

well that worked out well.

Back to Hold em now, about 60th of 190 so in the money spots and hoping I can hang on for a ticket.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:08 PM
(#7)
Just on a break, likely to be the final one position now 65 of 97.

I have just gone through the blinds. They are now $1k/$2k Omaha. (level20)

I have not played any hands since my last win. 93 players have busted and I have dropped 5 places. It is quite likely that 23 more players will bust before me and I could get a ticket without playing any more hands.

I have already laid down an AK suited in PLHE that could well have lost me chips or busted me.

just super tight careful play now and hope the other players do the work for me

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:25 PM
(#8)
Even without trying, you can passively pick up chips

that keeps me 64th of 86 - still with about double the chips of the last ITM spot

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
(#9)
Bubble has burst - all good for a ticket.

Was still sitting at 60th when bubble burst - now all in preflop on an Omaha Hand

doesn't come off and out in 60th.

I enjoyed that bit of Omaha practice as a side game and a WR2 ticket in the bank.

Good luck all

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:55 PM
(#10)
Official Confirmation

PokerStars Tournament #475270161, Mixed PLH/PLO
Freeroll Super Satellite
6000 players
Target Tournament #475258663
72 tickets to the target tournament
Tournament started 2011/12/02 20:22:00 WET [2011/12/02 15:22:00 ET]
Dear EdinFreeMan,
You finished the tournament in 60th place. This qualifies you for a seat in Tournament #475258663. A ticket to this tournament was issued in your name. You can use this ticket to register. See Tournament #475258663 Lobby for further details.

You earned 39.79 tournament leader points in this tournament.

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Dec 02, 2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 08:10 PM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2011
Nice1 Ed, ive been trying the astronomer freerolls for a month now, and still no success, not 1 ticket earned. So fare play 2ya mate, good job

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:26 AM
(#12)
Lots of Poker today - usual Sunday stuff plus the Workd Record and monthly Facebook $5k tourney.

Plannibg to warm up my poker brain in the Le Verrier's 8-game astronomer freeroll that has just started.

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:31 AM
(#13)
First game in the sequence is Limit Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball.

Not my favourite. I like no limit single draw games, but haven't really got a handle on these triple draw games. Basically I will pass unless I have been dealt the nuts 2-7 or 2-8 straight off and then bet and stand pat.

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:44 AM
(#14)
Second game in the sequence is Limit Hold Em
More familiar with this, it was the first game I played before moving to No Limit Hold Em. I play very tight and try to control the pot, (though that is not always possible in a loose freeroll game) until I have a very good made hand. Then you can raise pots each betting round and expect players just to come along as they hate folding so much.

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:51 AM
(#15)
Level 4 is Razz

I always enjoy Razz - and often pick up a good few chips from hands like these, my first gains of this tourney.

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:03 AM
(#16)
Level 6 - Stud Hi/Lo

I am by no means a good stud player, but I prefer the Hi/Lo version.

moved up to 480th of 4500

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:23 AM
(#17)
Into the 3rd cycle of games, Level 17 back to triple draw lowball and down below 1000 players, I need to play hands to get chips. So I go with a hand that has 4 of the 5 nut low cards and I stick it out to the end.

still only about 600th

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:30 AM
(#18)
I've had very few Omaha Hi/Lo hands to play, but here I get the nut low and 3 threes to scoop the pot

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:55 AM
(#19)
Did I mention I am not so hot at Stud? Two hands of that and I am out of the tourney.

finished 612th of 6000, so about top 10%. This only pays 48 tickets though, so tough to make it all the way.

I definitely need to work on my stud game.

Good luck all

Old
Holdem holiday - Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#20)
Since: Jun 2010
I took some time off from NLHE as well: Four freerolls, 90th in stud, 5576 in PLO8, 60th in stud hi/lo, 9th in razz. Two tickets to the weekend finals in which I always go card dead whenever I get close to the money. Eventually I will make a deep run in one of them and make a decent cash.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com