Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

well played till turn?

Old
well played till turn? - Fri Dec 02, 2011, 02:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
hi, i think i played this o.k till the turn. did my turn bet commit me to the pot? should have checked the river

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 02:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Check on the flop is mighty fine, we got nuts on dry board. Ship turn. Just ship it.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 02:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In the first level of a tourney, I normally want to make a slightly higher open-raise for hands. People will still call with basically ATC.

On the flop, you got lucky that the opp bet, so that you could check-raise. I'd normally like to c-bet the flop first, especially since I opened preflop. It did workout for you, but I think in the long run, you're better off c-betting instead of going for a check-raise.

On the turn. You've got only a little more chips than a pot-sized bet. The opp could easily have Ax, 22, two broadway cards, in this situation, so instead of going for a value bet that basically commits you to the pot, I'd rather shove here instead. There is only 1 hand you're behind, QJ, and even if they have QJ, you have outs on the river.
Your bet makes them need about 33% equity to call and draw at you and they probably think they have 9 outs, but if they hit, they think they can stack you... so even though it's a light call, it could be worse. Due to this, you have to bet more on the turn, as you do not want to price in a draw.

With the way you played it, the opp should ship the river, which makes for a sticky situation for you either way.

I think c-bet the flop and definitely shove the turn would be a better idea for this hand..... or shoving the flop isn't a bad play either.

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 03:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
thanks chaps, i see your point on the c-betting JWK24.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com