Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Interesting hand, correct play or not?

Old
Interesting hand, correct play or not? - Sat Dec 03, 2011, 06:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
An odd hand, just wanted to get some advice as to whether I should have played it as I did on such a wet board. Unlucky on the river maybe?

Interestingly enough all this happened after taking this screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 555.jpg (91.0 KB, 7 views)

Old
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I like the lead bet on the flop. You hit bottom set, so make a value bet and see where you're at in the hand.
When the opp calls it, they either hit a part of the board or have a straight or flush draw.

The turn could complete BOTH draws. That's a big problem because you're going to now be up against a larger set, straight or flush, or best case 2 pair. The only one you can beat is 2 pair, so I'm shutting down on the turn with betting. Check and if they make a very small bet, then possibly call, but to any decent sized bet, I'm mucking it.

The river pairs the board, so now we look at the opp's range and have quads, larger full house, straight or flush. We're actually better off here than we were on the turn... as we beat both a straight AND flush. I liked your lead bet here, but when the opp makes that big of a raise, they've probably got the larger full house, or even quads and I'm mucking. Probably the only hand that an opp will do this with that you beat is an A high flush... and they really should just call your value bet, not re-raise you.

Old
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 07:14 PM
(#3)
Yeah, I agree.

I had him on a flush draw with Ace something and so when the 9 came on the river I figured it couldnt be A9s

I figured he could have opened with 7s but would have raised on the flop.

Another reason for my call was that he didnt put me all-in, despite having me covered. Good job I didnt raise

Old
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 07:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
when a player doesn't put you all-in like that, more often than not, that's a sign of strength and is a value bet... not weakness.

Old
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 07:38 PM
(#5)
Noted, thank you for the analysis.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com