Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was I right to stay in this pot

Old
Was I right to stay in this pot - Sun Dec 04, 2011, 03:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
I have no idea on pot odds and so on. Was i right to stay in this hand and commit nearly all my chips?

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 03:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Pre-Flop:

You can flat this raise (barely) and have room to fold if you air ball miss.

You can also consider a 3bet here with your gr 1 hand, but if you do that you are putting yourself pretty deeply invested and may not be able to fold flop misses any more. this may mean any 3Bet you make be be better off as an all in move.

You are under 30BB here so either a flat or a shove is fine.

Personally, I think a flat here is what I'd prefer, but that is largely a stylistic choice.

Flop:

You flop pretty decent for your hand, holding 2 board over cards and the nut flush draw.

The board is pretty coordinated though, and there is a decent chance that even made hands your opponent holds may have draw outs themselves. hands like JJ/KQ/AJ/AQ are in a lot of looser ranges for UTG raises.

This means when your opponent leads out for 2800, you really have to decide to commit now, or fold. If you flat this amount, your total investment will climb to around 50% of your stack. There is no way you can call that amount off, then fold.

so in large part m decision on this flop will be dictated by how often I think he (the villain) has a pair that I have as many as 15 outs against (pp less that QQ), how often he has MORE than 1 pair here, and how often he has a pair of AA/KK (which takes away some of my max outs).

You are will ahead mathematically of a single pair hand here (except KK/AA, and you are about 51% vs KK), so the more often you think he has just that, the more often I am going to be willing to ship it. You also have to note though, unless this guy has very little awareness of his stack size, he is almost CERTAIN to call a jam...that means you are pretty much going to have to hit to win.

The more often I think he might be on better than 1 pair, or an AA, the more often I'd fold away the 1200 call rather than risk more. (That is going to be pretty rare though)

The LAST thing I want to do is call on this flop, as you did here though...

Calling not only puts you at risk for half your stack, but if on the off chance you are AHEAD of something like AJ here, you are also possibly costing yourself value you probably can get into the pot now.

So the pre flop flat is fine, but your flop decision is faulty.

Check out this video for help with commitment decisions: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ment-Decisions

hope it helps.

Last edited by JDean; Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think flatting preflop is fine. When I get flush draw with 2 over cards and your opponent bets, you know at that point in time, you're behind. Due to that, I think it's either a shove or fold.
I wouldn't flat the flop bet and let someone see another card without paying the maximum to see it. The pot size on the flop once your opp puts their chips in, is basically equal to your remaining chips.
Due to the pot size along with having the nut flush draw and 2 over cards (more often than not, your opp will not have trips here), If it were me playing the hand, I'm shoving the flop.

I'd have gotten unlucky to hit it, just like you did, but this way it puts the pressure on your opponent, not on yourself.

Old
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 03:25 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
With just over 20 BBs why are you flatting with AK suited? This is a great spot to 3-bet all in for value. Too often you'll miss the flop, and you're really not deep enough for any meaningful play post flop. I'd be very happy to take what is at worse about a coinflip with AK on 22 BBs.
With an A and K in your hand it's so unlikely your opponent has AA or KK. And a lot of the time you will run into AQ, AJ, KQ, small-medium pairs, etc, against which you have great equity.

Even if you flat pre, that flop is about the best you can hope for. All in here pretty much every time. You have soooo much equity against any range.

Quote:
When I get flush draw with 2 over cards and your opponent bets, you know at that point in time, you're behind
You're actually ahead here a lot! Depends on the opponent, but so often they have a worse flush draw, straight draw, combo draw (against you their flush is bogus) or a one pair hand that you actually have 50%+ equity against. Even against a set or a straight you have a decent shot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com