Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Bad Betting?

Old
Bad Betting? - Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
The two villains here were playing very loose and I was happy that I was ahead of their range pre-flop.

I'm not at all happy with my own bet/calling here, especially on the river.

Should I be aggressive with loose players or more cautious?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
[QUOTE=royalraise85;315501]The two villains here were playing very loose and I was happy that I was ahead of their range pre-flop.

I'm not at all happy with my own bet/calling here, especially on the river.

That's an easy one, the answer is YES.

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:55 PM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
As you can see, the one that went to showdown was calling with anything.

Very hard to range a player like that.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:58 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
with no reads, I was shocked that the opp didn't have Qx.

Was this a 2NL table? the bets and the pot size pre don't match... just a guess????

On the flop when the BB donk bets into your preflop raise, that will be Qx more often than not. If you think it may not be a Q, calling is ok. I would not raise here.

On the turn (that looks like a blank unless an opp has 67), the donk better leads out again, but the pot is larger and they lowered their bet. That's really suspicious, as Qx should continue to value bet. I don't mind a value raise to it. Raise to 52 cents into a 66 cent pot is more than what I'd have done. I'd have probably tried raising to about 33 cents (1/2 pot). When the opp calls it, you're normally in deep trouble, because that again looks like Qx (maybe with a smaller kicker though, but still a Q).

River board pairs and opp makes another small bet (not even 1/10th pot). You can beat a bluff, so I'm calling that bet every single time.

First thing I'm doing after this hand is putting that opp on my buddy list. Find them whenever they're at a cash table

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:11 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you Bill and JK!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 03:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Against loose aggressive players, try playing more passively. Call when you think you're ahead of their range. They usually do enough betting for you anyway. If you have a hand you think is marginally ahead of their range, just call, don't try raising someone you think is bluffing with your bluffcatchers. They are often polarized, and will never call with their bluffs, and will only call with better hands. And they may even bluff you off your showdown value hand (do you really want to call that big shove on the river with 2nd or 3rd pair?) Try to control the size of the pot so that you can call a river bet if you think you're ahead. Often you can get better value from pretending to be weak and inducing bluffs than you can from doing your own value-betting, since they usually have nothing.

Against loose passive players you generally want to bet for value. Bet any hand even with marginal value if you think you're ahead of their calling range. Don't bluff more than one street (ie. C-bet bluffs can usually get them off their pure air which usually still has some equity against you, as well as riverbets when their draws miss.). If a loose passive player does their own betting/raising, watch out! Somehow they always have the nuts (or close to it) here! Checking for deception/to induce is entirely pointless against these guys. They won't do their own betting unless they have a monster hand themselves.

Old
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:51 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree Ori.

Against loose aggressive, trap, trap, trap.

Against loose passive, when you get a made hand, value bet them to death.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com