Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

busted again but happy

Old
busted again but happy - Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
lol busted 30 doller bankroll but thx to you guys i lasted about 5 days which is gd for me because i normally blow it 1 nite of tilt,so on ere is helping me,so suggestions topping up later going try to last 2 weeks with about the same bankroll again,shall stick to small buyins and grind my way..hopefully lol,i am going to try set myself a select time limit and ammount for each day does this sound about right thx,

Old
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 04:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
lol busted 30 doller bankroll but thx to you guys i lasted about 5 days which is gd for me because i normally blow it 1 nite of tilt,so on ere is helping me,so suggestions topping up later going try to last 2 weeks with about the same bankroll again,shall stick to small buyins and grind my way..hopefully lol,i am going to try set myself a select time limit and ammount for each day does this sound about right thx,
30 dollars, 25 cent tourneys 120 tourneys 2 hour per tourney 240 hours
5 days 24 hours 120 hours.

the only way you could go bust is playing 5 days 24/7 with 2 tourneys at a time to the final table

seems its a BR problem once again.

Old
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
if your bankroll goes down, then the amount that you can pay for a buy-in has to go down. I try to use a rule of never buying into a tourney for less than 1/100th of my bankroll (although I'll sometimes drop that to 1/50th).

If you're buying in for much more than this, you're always going to run into problems, unless you're extremely lucky.

Old
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 03:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I'm beginning to think the problem is your attitude. You seem very nonchalant about losing $30 in five days and busting to zero. Personally I would consider this a major loss and be very unhappy about it.

Bear with me for a minute, and I'll explain. When I started playing poker, I agreed with my husband that I would never deposit. I played Hubble freerolls to gain a little real cash ($1.02), got a $5 boost from PS, and started grinding the .02 990 tourneys. As I gained a little money and reached around $20, I moved up to .25 45 and 90 tourneys. I stayed at this level until my BR was around $200, at this point I started playing $1 tourneys. This is pretty extreme BR management, but since I could not deposit I was very risk averse, I simply could not afford to lose my BR.

You, on the other hand, seem to place almost no value on your deposit. You are quite happy to enjoy a few days of play for the money you deposit. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this attitude, many peeps are content to play in this fashion and just chalk up the losses to entertainment, much like a dinner out or a movie.

What I do think is that it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to become a winning player with this attitude. You need to value your BR like it was Fort Knox, and do everything you can to protect it. Play at appropriate levels, and as your BR goes up or down, so should your buyin amounts. On the other hand, if you can comfortably afford the amounts you deposit and are happy just being entertained, then by all means continue as you have been.

The choice is entirely yours, but I hope I've at least given you something to think about.

Old
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 06:21 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I haven't read any of your other posts, holdemace, but I liked reading this:

Quote:
i lasted about 5 days which is gd for me because i normally blow it 1 nite of tilt,so on ere is helping me,so suggestions topping up later going try to last 2 weeks with about the same bankroll again
You've recognized a problem (tilt), you've found something to help you with it (advice here), and you're focused on improvement. You're actually setting a reasonable goal, too, which is something I know that I have a hard time doing. I had the same problem as you when I started playing. I think your attitude will help you improve.

I can understand joy's feelings about your attitude being too cavalier, though. For a lot of people, the precept of making a deposit without a solid business plan to get that money back is essentially burning your money. Most pros are strict about their money like that.

Old
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 08:51 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Hey Panicky,

It has been a while; where have you been hiding?

Holdemace, you are on the right track but Joy makes a good point about being more disciplined and patient. You want to grow that bankroll! You know yourself the exact areas where you are making mistakes.

From a personal perspective, I sometimes get very gung ho about my poker ability and start believing I can out play and beat opponents by pure force of will. I then start to make bad decisions and when you start to make bad decisions it has a snowball effect. You need to recognise when you reach this point in your game, and not fall into your own self made trap.

I would also recommend that you review your hand histories. The amount of times that I look at hands and think "who is that idiot?" and then realise it is me, really opens my eyes to where the mistakes begin to creep in. You can know everything about Poker, but if you are unable to implement what you know, it becomes a fruitless and bankroll losing exercise.

So say you have been playing two cash tables for an hour and are even or slightly up, do not change the way you have been playing just because you think you are a better player: remain composed and focused, keeping making the right decisions every time and your bankroll will grow steadily. It is not about thinking you are a better player, it is about being a better player!

If you find yourself straying from this course, take a break for an hour, go for a walk, watch some tv, anything that will allow you to get back into the frame of mind of playing your A game.

I hope that helps and I know it is much easier to say it than actually do it, but doing it, will actually reap rewards in the long term.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 04:10 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hey Panicky,

It has been a while; where have you been hiding?
Hey Tony,

I just took a nap. I see you've been granted mod superpowers. Congrats.

Old
wow your good - Thu Dec 08, 2011, 01:10 AM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2011
ty joy for your comment absolutely spot on i do have no rgards for my br s, i know i can always top up gain lol not a wealthy man but exchane rates give me lots of dollers for small deposits and yes need to change this attitue,and yes to the oher quote my skils probbly do out do mself and i think i can win every hand and in fact start plying every hand self made tilt,you guys are gd on ere much thx am up 20percent on opr since i come on ere....now starting to play it as a rankings gme an have set yself th challeng to be number one lol...an hopefully with aive off ere will keep my bankrolls

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 05:19 AM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2011
it is impossible to be number 1 in poker

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com