Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

A little about me, '' The guy who plays poker in silence''

Old
A little about me, '' The guy who plays poker in silence'' - Wed Dec 07, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
My name is Herbert, out of the thirty years of my life, i have played for four years. The twenty six i spent learning to grow up. Albeit, i fear i will never grow up but have been told its part of my charm.
I must tell you the reason of my blog, for Im sure some will be curious or benefit from my story.

I was born profoundly deaf, and have always had 10% hearing. that doesnt amount to much, i might hear a jet take off or the sound of an old kettle whistling on the stove and thats about it.
For the first six years i did not have the luxury of hearing aids, this being due to somewhat of an ignorant family. I did not speak my first words til the age of 8, and could speak 10 sentences by the age of 11. I was still at this time, thinking of my own interpretations of the world, along with my own language( consisting of grunts and wails).

Howvever, i was adopted and my new found mother told me this. '' Son, if you must or want to try, read this dictionary everynight and practise speaking the words, you may find one day, you can speak your mind. I took this to heart and spent 3 hours a night reading the oxford dictionary for the following 10 years. By the age of 21, i found not only could i speak, i could pronounce the words for people to understand.

My biggest skill i posess is that of the whole say, 28 years, i have lip-read and studied body language to a fine art. There is seldom i get wrong , however i have been gravely wrong in the past, something im glad to share with others in their millions.

This is where the fun comes in. I use this skill on the poker table( he he) Now, i havent played much on pokerstars but have a desire to more. When i say more, i shant stop until i reach that final table amongst the Gods of PokerStars(yes you, Dan.) I shall uitilise my long life determination like once before, and shall learn to read without even looking. This being possible of ancient customs! I will get there, so its not goodbye, it is though, see you later.

H

Old
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 07:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to more appropriate forum JWK24 ***

Old
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 07:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to the forum!

That is one skill that you should ABSOLUTELY take full advantage of at ANY poker table you're at.

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 07:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to Pokerschool Syanide!

It's great to see you here.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wink
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 03:54 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Why, its good to be here.

Old
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi Syanide, welcome to PSO and the forum.

I have to say, that's a very cool and a bit touching of an intro there.
Very cool story.
Body language is so huge in live poker, that they now have body language experts analyse players after a hand and point out what language they're giving off on some of the televised events, like on ESPN. So you've really, really got an edge there.

After you look through the link that JW provided, please let us know if you have any questions. I'll be out of town a few more days, but the community here is more than helpful.

Very glad to see you here and I look forward to hearing from you in the forum.

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 05:52 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Welcome aboard Herbert. Great and inspirational tale you have to tell. Best wishes to you in all future endeavors,on the table and off.

And Dano,just thinking you have to be humbled that the guys poker dream is to be on a table with you.

He was talking about you,right?

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 07:30 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome and great story. While there are tells here too IMHO its more about recognizing peoples patterns. Definately take advantage of the notes feature . Good luck and see you out there.

Last edited by FLsnookman; Sat Dec 10, 2011 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: too,to and two

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Nice story man! congratulations and good luck

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syanide View Post
This is where the fun comes in. I use this skill on the poker table( he he)
What a moving story ... that does seem to be true a lot in life, that from adversity can come great triumphs. Welcome to PSO Herbert, and best of luck on the felt!!

Old
Thank you - Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
It touches me to have such good responses from yourself and others. I thank you, and shall be looking forward to converse with all in future. Many thanks for the welcome.

P.S, as much i would like to play with other poker fellows, my reference to 'Dan' is that of Dan Negreanu. He is both my inspiration and(target) lol. I aim to play cards with him one day.
As ever, my perserverance and learning shall hopefully grant me that chance.

Goodnight.

H

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com