Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

how do u have the patience????

Old
Default
how do u have the patience???? - Thu Dec 08, 2011, 01:31 AM
(#1)
Igotitnow's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
I started playing the open skill league and am appalled at the way people play.... all in evry hand good hands beaten by bingo. I try to stay out of the idiots way but u get a good hand u know they have nothing so i call and yep they hit a turn 2 last cards to make a hand. Hiow is that poker I think these tournys promote moron bingo play and just frustrate players trying to play. I wish I never saw them and poker is just horrible now. I know they dont last in the long run but they do the damage anyways. SIGH so down about it all. I dont tell me to look at poker school dosnt help unless thats what the tables mindset is. How can u play bingo morons. I have sat it out and end up with no chips anyways. I dont know how to keep from exploding... why are they so bad and stupid
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:33 AM
(#2)
PanickyPoker's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,168
If poker were 100% skill-based, you probably wouldn't be playing it. The elements of risk and surprise would no longer be a part of the game, and most of the people playing it now would quickly get bored of it. Most gambling games are actually based on the precept that it's possible to suck and still win a jackpot (everyone sucks at slots, roulette, etc.). If you like playing with risk, then you'll have to put up with bad beats. If you're risk-averse, then give competetive chess a shot.

The bad players always lose in the end. It's like scientifically proven karma.
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 03:04 AM
(#3)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotitnow View Post
I started playing the open skill league and am appalled at the way people play.... all in evry hand good hands beaten by bingo. I try to stay out of the idiots way but u get a good hand u know they have nothing so i call and yep they hit a turn 2 last cards to make a hand. Hiow is that poker I think these tournys promote moron bingo play and just frustrate players trying to play. I wish I never saw them and poker is just horrible now. I know they dont last in the long run but they do the damage anyways. SIGH so down about it all. I dont tell me to look at poker school dosnt help unless thats what the tables mindset is. How can u play bingo morons. I have sat it out and end up with no chips anyways. I dont know how to keep from exploding... why are they so bad and stupid

Remember that if you truly want to play the leagues for what they're most valuable for then it's all about ladder climbing for the month. Individual games only matter within that paradigm. 80% or more of the players you'll run into in the Open League (could be more even,I'm US so basing this estimate off the old Skill League...) are NOT thinking about that and are trying to luckbox their way to a penny.

LET THEM.

What you want to do is learn where the percentages for busting out in the field are compared to where you are in the monthly standings for you to gain points each time you play. In the old Skill League peeps took down top 10 finishes for the month,where the REAL money is,without such much as even sniffing a final table all month, all the time.

Learn to make the clock your friend. Only play AA and KK for the most part for the first 3-4 blind levels and play them super fast. Learn where the scoring throttles,or "choke points" kick in,and keep in mind to adjust for your monthly score.

Stall and fold,stall and fold. Rinse and repeat. (I know,I know...)

Drinking helps. A lot.

Remember,as far as the Open League goes anyway,...

...it's not poker...

...It's PSO.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 03:06 AM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:18 PM
(#4)
BawMe's Avatar
Since: Aug 2011
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Remember that if you truly want to play the leagues for what they're most valuable for then it's all about ladder climbing for the month. Individual games only matter within that paradigm. 80% or more of the players you'll run into in the Open League (could be more even,I'm US so basing this estimate off the old Skill League...) are NOT thinking about that and are trying to luckbox their way to a penny.

LET THEM.

What you want to do is learn where the percentages for busting out in the field are compared to where you are in the monthly standings for you to gain points each time you play. In the old Skill League peeps took down top 10 finishes for the month,where the REAL money is,without such much as even sniffing a final table all month, all the time.

Learn to make the clock your friend. Only play AA and KK for the most part for the first 3-4 blind levels and play them super fast. Learn where the scoring throttles,or "choke points" kick in,and keep in mind to adjust for your monthly score.

Stall and fold,stall and fold. Rinse and repeat. (I know,I know...)

Drinking helps. A lot.

Remember,as far as the Open League goes anyway,...

...it's not poker...

...It's PSO.
+1000
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 03:29 PM
(#5)
CannonLee's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,418
**moved**
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
(#6)
Herkstwin's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 255
Patience in poker is one of the three P's. And in the Open "Skill" League, you learn to be patient. Moxie said it best - you want to climb the points ladder, so that you are in the money at the end of the month!

I know players, myself included, who have folded pocket Aces in the first few levels when faced with four or five all-in bingo players. While AA may be the nuts pre-flop, it is only a 55% favourite against 4 random hands. In a "normal" tournament, you would play those Aces, but in the Open Skill League, you want to stay in the tournament as long as possible. This means you will be playing short stacked towards the end of the first hour, but by then most of the all-in donks are gone and you can pick your spots.

Doubling up once in the first hour or 90 minutes is usually enough to get you into the positive points in that game. Do it often enough and you will cash at the end of the month (top 2000).

Use the clock. While you wait 10 seconds to fold or check, 15-20 donks will bust out of the tournament. Ignore the chat comments like "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz", and wait, wait, wait.

I can only play 15-20 games a month, but have been in the money at the end of the month several times. And I owe most of those winnings to patience - not skill or luck.

It is a different game, a different set of objectives. Figure it out and you will do well.

Good luck and see you at the tables.
 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
(#7)
IroncladMerc's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 581
So what do you do when you are getting cold-decked almost every tourney you play? I have played many a skill league where I never get anything near AA or KK, or even QQ and JJ. Pretty hard to consistently make the points when only 1 in 10 games gives me any good cards.
 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
(#8)
0HighTimes0's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
So what do you do when you are getting cold-decked almost every tourney you play? I have played many a skill league where I never get anything near AA or KK, or even QQ and JJ. Pretty hard to consistently make the points when only 1 in 10 games gives me any good cards.
If u not getting Priemer cards u may have to open your/thee range a bit , Maybe!
All Thee Besthicup
 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
(#9)
joker41673's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,850
This is the only tourney where it pays to play bad

I belong to another site that has threaten to kick members off the site if they purposely stall the game

 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 08:04 PM
(#10)
Keldraco's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
This is the only tourney where it pays to play bad

I belong to another site that has threaten to kick members off the site if they purposely stall the game

then remove the timer function. why would they give players the timer and not allowing them to use it
 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
(#11)
joker41673's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldraco View Post
then remove the timer function. why would they give players the timer and not allowing them to use it
Legitimate time to think the hand is still allowed just the continuous stalling hand after hand type clock use.

 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com