Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

I should have been more aggresive?

Old
I should have been more aggresive? - Fri Dec 09, 2011, 02:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hello guys, in this particular hand, the blinds were 75/150, I was the BB and the aggressor was the SB. It bugs me to think that I took a rather passive approach in this hand when I could’ve been aggressive and probably ended the hand in the flop.

The villain opens 3x preflop and I call with AJ having his stack covered and position over him. When an Ace came on the flop and he lead out for half the pot, I just called to control the pot since I didn’t really love my J kicker, and reevaluate on the turn. The hands I was afraid of, basically were AQ and AK. The turn was a brick, and his weak ¼ pot donk bet convinced me I was ahead (I put him on KQ, KJ, AT-, a pp he couldn’t fold, no sets, definitely no draws because he would practice pot control in on one) so I went ahead and jammed my stack. I knew he was calling me down if he had an ace or any value hand since he was pot commited.

Did I make a mistake by calling his flop bet and not rr?

Ultimately, I found myself playing HU against this same opponent, who shoved like 4 times in a row and I was pretty tight. This hand, I thought I had an edge against his wide range so I did call… Big mistake

tnx for the help!

Last edited by SUPER RASCAL; Fri Dec 09, 2011 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: rewording

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 02:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
I am getting it all in Pre flop both hands. Just my opinion tho.

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:34 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
When the money went in, you were way ahead of your opponent, in both hands. That's how you win at poker. These were both bad beats, and the outcomes were not the result of you being bad at poker. You were 92.3% to win the first hand and 75.5% to win the second against the villain's exact hands. Well played.

The only time you should ever regret not being aggressive and getting someone to fold on the flop is when they were ahead of you on the flop. You had the villain crushed in both of these hands. Luck is a part of poker, though.

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 05:24 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Hand 1 I'm re-raising him all-in after the flop. Wouldn't change the outcome probably as he's pretty committed to the hand but we should be making him pay to continue forward if he has hands like a couple of clubs,2 broadways or a pair that he's married to. Given that you only flatted pre he could easily call you off with a weaker Ace here. Given what he WAS holding here your play is optimal and just an unlucky result,but as a rule I think you're much better of making him get it in off the flop. That would be the better line moving forward in this spot to me.

Hand 2 you made NO mistake here. If you have a solid read on this player's range as being very wide/loose then your 99 here is way ahead of most of his range. And you're read turned out to be correct. If you were playing a tight style then his ship on K8o here is exactly what you want him to be doing. When you have a very good hand and get a loose player to do what you're looking for him/her to do...jamming against your good hands,then you have to go. If not, then just when the heck are you going to go?

He got you this time but if you two continue to take these lines moving forward you're going to be way ahead of this guy in the long run. And that's ALL that counts. 2 hands,anything can happen.

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 08:48 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hand #1:

Note to start: Your actions, while a bit weak versus a shorter stack, did not cost you this hand.

In blind on blind, AJ is a pretty solid hand. This is especially true when you are in the BB and have position throughout.

When you flop the A though, YOU need to test hims strongly when he leads, and you should be raising far more often than not here.

For you, when you decide to enter a pot, especially if you are facing an opponent who is likely to be committed by ANY sort of flop bet or call, it is VERY IMPORTANT to effectively range the opponent so that you can know that the typical hand you might flop with your holding will be GOOD ENOUGH to play against him for stacks.

If you were worried about his lead out being AK/AQ, and were reluctant to test him as a result of that worry, then you may have been better served not entering with AJ versus his SB raise. AJ can be a "trouble hand", one that gives kicker issues, and there is nothing wrong passing those types of hands up pre flop if you are possibly facing a big pot that could lead you to difficult decisions, even heads up.

You had no real "wiggle room" to be wrong here in case the villain WAS raising a bigger kicker, as the sum of his 2 bets (pre flop and flop) has him nearing 45% invested in the pot. You must decide BEFORE you call the C-bet whether your AJ is enough to play for stacks, and then do whatever that decision tells you.

More often than not, if you've effectively ranged your opponent before calling his pre flop raise, and that ranging said it would be "ok" to CALL on AJ, when you spike the A that means it is go time. If your gut said AK/AQ might be here, and they make up a significant portion of this villain's pre flop raise range (enough of a protion that you are reluctant to go over his C-Bet), then you should not have called the pre flop raise.

As played here, versus a NORMAL sort of pre flop raise range, AJ on an A hi flop should be enough to put him in, or what was the sense of playing it in the first place...right?

Hand #2:

In a HU situation, especially versus someone who has shoved all in 4 times in a row on a big stack, 99 DOES have every reason to think it is a big favorite. You were acting on a correct assumption, so your decision is fine.

You got exactly what you should have gotten here (if you called his shove) and that is you went to the flop as a 70/30 FAVORITE.

Personally, I'd call that a "big advantage", especially since:

1) you are already in the deepest spot you can make unless you knock him out.
2) if you win, you take a commanding 11k to 2500 chip lead (roughly).

The fact he flopped the oesd, and the fact he got there does not change the basic fact that you were a BIG FAVORITE when the money went in. That is the most you can hope for pre flop...

Looking at this hand any other way means you are thinking too much about results, and not enough about your DECISIONS.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Last edited by JDean; Fri Dec 09, 2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
When the money went in, you were way ahead of your opponent, in both hands. That's how you win at poker.
+1

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:55 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Thnx for the reviews guys. Now i know that against a short stack, if i call a preflop raise with AJ and hit an ace on the flop, i just have to ship it (or at least raise his lead on the flop to test him), or what was the sense of playing it in the first place.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com