Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Played right ?

Old
Question
Played right ? - Fri Dec 09, 2011, 05:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

12 left 7 to get itm the whole table has been really tight.

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 06:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you played it fine. I would have opened for much less than you did (probably T650-T750) because I don't think it matters how much you open for, so you might as well conserve chips and open for less. I don't think the open bet amount matters because you can expect one of two scenarios on the flop:

1) Exactly what happened. Two overcards fell and you didn't feel safe c-betting.

2) You hit a set and don't really care how much money is in the pot. Since everyone's so short-stacked, it should be just as easy to get all-in as it would be if you had opened for T900.

Alternatively, you could have just folded the hand. It would have been a great shoving hand if your stack had been half of what it was, but it's somewhat weak with ~20bb.

Given the effective stack sizes behind you, the fact that there are only three of them, and the aforementioned tightness of the table, shoving preflop wouldn't have been bad either.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Fri Dec 09, 2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 08:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
The key to playing hands like these well is knowing your own image at the table, and the tendencies of the opponents.

Realistically, there is little chance you will flop well with an open raise holding a hand like 55. This means some info bits you;d liek to possess before doing so are:

1) How many opponent(s) might call.
- The fewer the better, and if no one calls that is ideal.

2) The range upon which they will call.
- this is important so you can guage how likely a flop is to have hit any callers.

3) The willingness to fold to a C-Bet by any callers.
- You will really be C-Betting much more often than not if this pot gets checked back to you after a raise, so you need to know the villains have the discipline to fold weak draws like 6 outs to over cards.

4) How likely is it you will be paid off if you do hit a set (about 1 time in 8.5).
- Obviously, since you will tend to flop a set so rarely, you will want to derive good value form the risk a raise here entails.

If you have none of these conditions which are likely, then you really should not raise 55 in this spot. Realistically though, in a micro stakes game there is only very RARE situations where you will not be able to find ANY of these conditions at work, since micro stakes players are generally make the mistake of CALLING too often, rather than testing raise pre flop. If your table is one where you may well be 3bet by a strong hand (or even by a bluff), then 55 is probably better off in the muck. But as played, this is fine...

When you miss, you do not C-Bet.

With the 2 overs to your small pp thee, the risk of committing yourself by trying a C-Bet which must get 2 players to fold is quite high. I see nothing wrong with a check/fold here.

If you were heads up on the flop, and in position, a C-Bet may be worthy of the risk if only to ensure that opponents know they cannot simply flat your raises and expect you to give up. But with 2 callers, your fold it fine.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Last edited by JDean; Fri Dec 09, 2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 08:24 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I think you played it fine. I would have opened for much less than you did (probably T650-T750) because I don't think it matters how much you open for, so you might as well conserve chips and open for less. I don't think the open bet amount matters because you can expect one of two scenarios on the flop:

1) Exactly what happened. Two overcards fell and you didn't feel safe c-betting.

2) You hit a set and don't really care how much money is in the pot. Since everyone's so short-stacked, it should be just as easy to get all-in as it would be if you had opened for T900.

Alternatively, you could have just folded the hand. It would have been a great shoving hand if your stack had been half of what it was, but it's somewhat weak with ~20bb.

Given the effective stack sizes behind you, the fact that there are only three of them, and the aforementioned tightness of the table, shoving preflop wouldn't have been bad either.
+1 Although I'd probably not want to shove this pre flop at this stage.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com