Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Looking for advice on how I should have value bet on the river.

Old
Question
Looking for advice on how I should have value bet on the river. - Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
I would like to go through my thought process on this hand so I can get some constructive criticism and advice.

My reads on villain:

VP$IP: 22%
PFR: 14%

I figure its another steal so I call with my 66. Flop comes out and he CBets a K high board. The K is scary but I figured if he fires again and I have not improved I have to fold. I call the CBet and make a FH on the turn. If I didn't make my hand by the turn and he bets I would have folded and put him on a pair of Ks.

I would be interested to know what hand you guys put him on by the river.

Also was my bet on the river too high?

Last edited by HANDY_R1DS; Sat Dec 10, 2011 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Edited for School boy error pointed out by TheLangolier

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
I'd raise the turn for value and to set up stacks so that villain has to either shove or call a shove on the river.

I'd just put him all in on the river and go for max value.

I'd put him on a hand that picked up a flush draw on the turn and missed or mid PP going for thin value

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
Also, if you think he's on a steal I'd 3 bet 66 pre.

You likely have the best hand but you'll have to fold a tonne of flops. Also you'll rarely get paid when you hit your set because his range is so wide preflop

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 01:24 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDY_R1DS View Post
He 3B on the BTN but he has attempted to steal from this position 60% of the time. Never on the CO or Blinds, just on the BTN and with 60% his steals being successful.
I don't understand these reads tbh... in this hand he's not 3-betting, he's raising, and he's not on the button, he's in the SB. You say he's never stealing from the blinds then when he raises from the SB you put him on a steal?

Floating the flop is fine, although we need to know more about his post flop tendancies to know how fine it is. If the guy frequently double barrels, then we should be prepared to float twice which gets uglier. If the guy single barrels a lot then your line of floating the flop and folding to continued aggression is good.

On the river your bet is too small (not too large). Generally just move in. The guy is only calling either raise size with AK, KK, or AA I'd think, so go for max value when he has one of those 3 hands (mostly AK or AA, as KK will almost certainly 3b all in to the raise you actually made anyway). Plus against more sophistocated opponents your line reps such a small range of value hands that he may find a hero call with pocket pairs lower than the K. Don't worry about that at this level though, most randoms aren't thinking anywhere near along these lines, just extract max value when he's got AK or AA.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I don't understand these reads tbh... in this hand he's not 3-betting, he's raising, and he's not on the button, he's in the SB. You say he's never stealing from the blinds then when he raises from the SB you put him on a steal?
Yeah thats my bad I should have read what I had written

thanks for the advice.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com