Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

big 11- another fold?

Old
big 11- another fold? - Sat Dec 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre- made a standard raise on the btn against the limper but i think too small--what do you think?

postflop- i checked my option because 3 players in the pot and i dont have a strong hand

turn- limper bet 200, which i think in this point i dont know if i should have raised, if i raise then he shove i'm in bad position he made it cheap for me to see the river so i called--is this correct?

river-he bets 900, 500 behind my 2 pairs is really not good here i think because the limpers range pretty much connects here 67s, or any suited cards. he definitely limp this one

did i made the right play to pass or i miss valuable chips here?

Old
Sat Dec 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre- made a standard raise on the btn against the limper but i think too small--what do you think?
If your normal sizing is 3BB to go, then yes, this is 1BB too small.
You should try to stick to a STANDARD raise sizing pre flop to disguise the strength of the hand you hold.
You should add 1BB for each limper ahead of you to this standard amount.

So if your stand raise was to 3BB, then in this spot with 1 limper, you should have made it 4BB to go on the button, not 3BB to go.

Quote:
postflop- i checked my option because 3 players in the pot and i dont have a strong hand
this is fine.

2nd pair, top kicker is marginal with this many people going to the flop. Even though it check through to you, there is no surety someone will not try a semi-bluff check/raise if you bet, and something liekt hat would tend to force you to fold your hand (or at least it SHOULD).

Quote:
turn- limper bet 200, which i think in this point i dont know if i should have raised, if i raise then nsytan;316976]he shove i'm in bad position he made it cheap for me to see the river so i called--is this correct?
This is a spot you really do not need to raise.

You've hit your kicker, but a 3rd spade showed on board.
You can beat an Ace with a better kicker, and you can beat pp that do not have a set.

You cannot beat an A9 or a made set, and you cannot beat a flush.

The bet by the villain here is not necessarily something that has you beaten, but it is also not something that doesn't. It is about a toss up without info on his tendencies as to what it is.

If you are un-sure, there is reason enough to call this, but not really reason enough to raise. If you raise here, you are quite likely folding out worse hands than yours, and seeing a call (or a jam) by better hands.

Quote:
river-he bets 900, 500 behind my 2 pairs is really not good here i think because the limpers range pretty much connects here 67s, or any suited cards. he definitely limp this one

did i made the right play to pass or i miss valuable chips here?
A lot of the same goes for your river decision as goes for your turn decision.
The big difference here is that the villain has made a bet that he has no intention of folding to a raise for all his chips.

You can beat 1 pair hands, like if he would limp something like AJ/AQ, but you are losing to sets and flushes, and a A9.

Since it is a big part of your stack, and since you did not play the turn STRONGER (although as I stated, playing the turn stronger would have been pretty point-less), a call or a raise to put him all in really hinges TOTALLY on your reads of the villain.

If you lack those reads, and that is all I can assume since you did not post them with the hand, a fold to save 900 chips is fine.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Last edited by JDean; Sat Dec 10, 2011 at 04:21 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com