Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.5 Six-Max SNG: 4th Hand, AA on K99K Board

Old
$1.5 Six-Max SNG: 4th Hand, AA on K99K Board - Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
4th hand of tournament. What do you think of my flop action and what are your thoughts on the turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t220)
MP (t3900)
Panicky (CO) (t1615)
Button (t1605)
SB (t220)
BB (t1440)

Panicky's M: 35.89

Preflop: Panicky is CO with A, A
2 folds, Panicky bets t90, 2 folds, BB calls t60

Flop: (t195) K, 9, 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Panicky bets t120, BB raises to t360, Panicky calls t240

Turn: (t915) K (2 players)
BB bets t240, Panicky ???

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
HATE that spot.

I mean you are getting pretty deep into the pot, with about 30% of your stack in after you call the flop.

The major thing about that flop is it could have been a K there, or a flush draw, or a combo draw, so I can see why you risk the flat. It is too early to really have solid info on his tendencies too. Sssssssssss...that is rough.

I'll be really honest, 6 max MTT, I think I'm letting it go to the C/R on the flop. At the micros, bluffs are just not common enough to want to go to 30% investment without clarity; you can probably find a better spot if you do not go that deep. I DO understand the desire to call though, believe me...

Turn is just mega ugly, because now one of the few hands that are made and that you were ahead of, is ahead of you. Villian himself is uber deeply invested too, so a bluff shot has almost no chance of working. AND to top it off, you are bang up against a commitment point and would hate to be shown a bluff now...

Still, I gotta think you probably should have folded the flop (as hard as that is), and pretty certainly have to fold the turn.

The turn bet looks a lot like the villain is betting a Ks full hand, and is just PRAYING you do not go away until he can launch the river. I think the only thing you can do is disappoint him....

This is one of those hard hands Panicky, where nothing feels right. I am pretty sure though you do not want to launch on the flop, and you really do not want to go any further after that horrible turn.

Just a suck hand, but I hope you mucked the turn.

-JDean

Last edited by JDean; Sun Dec 11, 2011 at 01:02 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I think you could have checked the flop. He'll bet most of his K's on the turn and you look weak so he might also bet some air and draws. Plus you keep the pot small and avoid the check/raise. Unless you're against a [sophisticated] player capable of check/raising as a bluff here, you have to fold to the check/raise. It's just too strong.

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Cool. Thanks for the advice, guys. I tend to flounder a bit when I have something on a paired flop. I really like the advice to check behind on the flop; it allows me to pick up some equity on the turn in flush redraws, assuming the villain doesn't have one of the two pocket pairs that are already boated up. I c-bet almost all the time, so it didn't occur to me.

Does this make sense?

check behind flop > fold to c/r > call c/r, fold turn

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:42 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
You did it to yourself to be honest. After just calling a c/r on such board you show major weakness and pretty much ask for a beating. If you intend to put any more money into this pot - you should go for 3-bet OTF.
Buf if you don't, fold to the original raise.

I don't like checking behind on this board, I mean do we really want to give up the initiative on a dangerous board? I think not!

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:32 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Does this make sense?

check behind flop > fold to c/r > call c/r, fold turn
Sounds like a plan to me

That's a horrible spot for AA and I absolutely like checking behind on the flop. There are not many times that I'd want to use pot control with AA, unfortunately, this is one of them. When you bet and get check/raised, I'm most likely putting the opp on Kx (AK or KQs). When the 2nd king falls on the turn, while I hate mucking AA, this is a perfect time to do it (the opp hit something on the flop and whether it's a K or a 9, they leave us with 2 outs (the other 2 aces).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com