Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Bigger $3.30 on the Bubble: Trash Hand in BB w/ 4.5:1

Old
Bigger $3.30 on the Bubble: Trash Hand in BB w/ 4.5:1 - Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
How bad can calling be? I know playing OOP is hard and my hand is horrible, but is it workable?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.3 Tournament, 300/600 Blinds 70 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Panicky (BB) (t21732)
UTG (t10394)
UTG+1 (t26645)
MP1 (t10405)
MP2 (t18854)
MP3 (t3918)
CO (t4240)
Button (t20882)
SB (t4617)

Panicky's M: 14.20

Preflop: Panicky is BB with 5, 9
6 folds, Button bets t1200, 1 fold, Panicky ???

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
I wouldn't go for a call here, i would raise/fold it instead. Playing 59o OOP is very hard and better left for people with a lot more LAG experience

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:27 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Can you do it? Yes.
But it really requires a good image and some solid info on the villain...

Mike Caro has an article on his site about "knowing where your equity lies". He talks about the sorts of things you can likely get away with based upon what you have shown the table about your play, and also how to best use what you might have noticed about opponents. Playing a trash hand like 95o oop requires a firm handle on all of those things, or it is much simpler just to not even try it.

If you lack the info needed, muck this pre flop.

Calling with it is meh, you should raise or fold.

You are deep enough to 3bet/fold here if he comes back strong.

Last edited by JDean; Sun Dec 11, 2011 at 05:29 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
(#4)
Why 3bet 95o? To balance my value range? I think that 3bet/folding this would require more LAG experience than calling because it's more high-variance and easier to spew when attempting.

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:42 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Why 3bet 95o? To balance my value range? I think that 3bet/folding this would require more LAG experience than calling because it's more high-variance and easier to spew when attempting.
Nope, with 3-bet you get the initiative in the hand which negates a lot of his position factor + gives you a chance to win it pref.

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:56 AM
(#6)
I see. I need to learn to 3bet better for sure, otherwise I'll be stuck playing the $3 games forever. I'll read some articles, watch some vids, and play a few SNG's to practice 3betting over the next week.

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:57 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I see. I need to learn to 3bet better for sure, otherwise I'll be stuck playing the $3 games forever. I'll read some articles, watch some vids, and play a few SNG's to practice 3betting over the next week.
Go and read harringon on holdem, all 3 volumes. Then read theory of poker by david sklansky.
This will give you enough background to understand why i suggest 3-bet/fold here.

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:46 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
95o is gonna be a tough one to play postflop. You're better off folding it, or 3-betting if the button is super wide and willing to fold. Even if he calls you have the initiative and can C-bet most flops.

If you're really good postflop and have a strong read, calling does become an option. Since you will almost always be checking to the raiser you will have relative position postflop. Think about his range and how the flop hits him. Also, think about how often he c-bets. Try check/raising on boards where you expect him to c-bet always (like the A67r type boards), etc. The one thing you can't really be doing is playing your hand for monster hand value as you're so rarely gonna connect that hard. You have to know when to stick with your middle or bottom pair hits etc. and when to rebluff. 95o doesn't have a lot of good semibluff spots, so you have to be really sure of your reads.

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:08 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puciek View Post
Nope, with 3-bet you get the initiative in the hand which negates a lot of his position factor + gives you a chance to win it pref.
+1

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com