Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Hand range/raise by position. Comments?

Old
Hand range/raise by position. Comments? - Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Wasnt sure where to post this, so I chose general.

Im working on a hand range by position chart, and am also considering switching to a raise criteria which is also based on position rather than a strict multiple of blind size.
Obviously, this is a work in progress... and is not cast in stone. I'm sure that playing it will make holes apparent and necessary adjustments will be required.

Obviously there will also be adjustments made for table attitude, stack sizes, etc... which would be made during a game.
What Im looking for with this chart is just a basic solid rule of thumb guide to base the rest of my game on.

Is this range too tight? I know it cant be too loose Opinions on the raise structure?
Should I play a very much different range out of the SB, BB? etc...

I would very much appreciate any comments that anyone would care to share on this chart. Please also share your reasoning behind any comments?

Thanks very much all, and good luck.

Ist position UTG:

Raise 4x BB

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs,

QQ,

JJ,

TT

2nd position OTG:

Raise 3x +1 BB if limper in front of me:

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo,

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs,

QQ,

JJ,

TT + 99 + 88 (limp behind or flat if possible with 99 or worse, otherwise open raise with

TT or better)

3rd position:

Raise 3x +1 BB for every limper in front of me:

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo + A9 suited, A8 suited

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs

QQ, QJs, QTs

JJ,

TT + 99 + 88 + 77 (limp behind or flat if possible with 99 or worse, otherwise open raise

with TT or better)

4th position:

Raise 2.5x +1 BB for every limper in front of me:

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo + A9 suited, A8 suited

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs, KTo

QQ, QJs, QTs

JJ, JTs

TT + 99 + 88 + 77 + + 66 + 55 + 44 + 33 + 22 (limp behind or flat if possible with 77 or

worse, otherwise open raise with 88 or better)

5th position:

Raise 2.5x +1 BB for evey limper in front of me:

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo + any suited A8, A9, A2, A3, A4, A5,

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs, KTo,

QQ, QJs, QTs

JJ, JTs

TT + 99 + 88 + 77 + + 66 + 55 + 44 + 33 + 22 (limp behind or flat if possible with 77 or

6th position hijack:

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo + any suited ace

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs, KTo, K9s

QQ, QJs, QTs, Q9s

JJ, JTs

7th position button:

Raise 2.5x + 1BB for evey limper in front of me:

Hand range:

AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo + any suited ace,

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs, KTo + K9s

QQ, QJs, QTs, Q9s, Q8s

JJ, JTs

TT, T9s

+ 99 + 88 + 77 + 66 + 55 + 44 + 33 + 22 (limp behind or flat if possible with 77 or worse,

otherwise open raise with 88 or better)

8th position SB:

Hand range:

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs,

QQ, QJs

JJ, JTs

TT + 99 + 88 + 77 + + 66 + 55 + 44 + 33 + 22 (limp behind or flat if possible with 88 or

worse, otherwise open raise with 99 or better)

9th position BB:

Hand range:

KK, KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, KTs,

QQ, QJs

JJ, JTs

TT + 99 + 88 + 77 + + 66 + 55 + 44 + 33 + 22 (limp behind or flat if possible with 88 or

worse, otherwise open raise with 99 or better)

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved to a better forum **

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:33 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks Joe.

Surely someone has comments on adjusting raise amount by position or comments about hand range by position... right?
Hope to hear your thoughts. I'll check back later.

Thanks.

Last edited by IpushHard; Sun Dec 11, 2011 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
You cannot just formulate a chart and use it at all times, different types of game will require a different strategy, tournaments are far different to cash games.

I did notice that you made no mention of suited connectors though.

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Yes, as I mentioned in the OP I'm looking for a general rule of thumb.
I dont play many speculative "small ball" types of hands, except out of the BB in non raised pots... OR if I happen to be very card dead and have no choice but to play them.
The bigger connectors are listed on the chart.

OK, I guess there isnt much interest in position based raising, or start range.

Thanks for the input.

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
way too loose, ATo UTG? lol i rarely play UTG only with pockets 9s or 10s+ and mostly i just limp to try to see a good flop.

with ur chart u get a vpip or 40+ you should aim for 15-25 something... tighten ur your ranges real bad or you might lose alot of money to 3 bets and having to fold shit hands.

Also in early position you dont have the same advantage to raise on the flop if everyone checked because ur mostly first to act.

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:46 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
I like the concept of raising larger from EP and smaller from LP as it's something I've been trying out myself. And the over-arching general idea of switching up raising bet sizes based on positions is certainly much better than doing it based on hand strength,as the latter is easily exploitable.

The problem I have with your charts here is that your range from the EP spots is way,way too wide.
The AJ and A10 hands are going to get you in a lot of tough spots. The Kx hands from 1st 3 positions need to go as a rule. The Qx hands from EM positions as well. These type of hands will get you in trouble more often than not.

And tiber is right---these hand ranges and you're looking at something like a 40% VPIP. Way too high as a baseline VPIP.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
(#8)
If your changing your raise size because of position I think you should raise small UTG and larger from late position.

The reasons are because UTG you will have a tighter hand range and want action, I would suggest AQ+ , 77+ UTG .

Also in late position your aim is to steal the blinds often and a larger raise will acomplish this more than a small raise.

I have seen a video where Chris Ferguson teaches this, I think its best though to have the same raise size no matter what your position and change it depending on your stack size.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:29 AM
(#9)
Actually their are two schools of thought on raise size being determined by position. One is as above and the other is the OP's thought based on 1) better hand so build a pot now and 2) EP has more players yet to act so the chances of action are increased.

I have done both and decided to stay with a std raise independent of position but I raise more on a loose table than on a tight one.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com