Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BAD raise preflop

Old
BAD raise preflop - Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011

hi peeps, well I think I made a huge mistake vs a loose player going for the min raise preflop and calling his reraise postflop...what do you think?

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I agree that minraising was a mistake. It makes it a bit harder to get all-in with your really good hand. The pot on the flop would have been bigger if you had bet bigger preflop.

Against a tight opponent, I think that calling the all-in shove was a mistake, because when someone raises all-in on a board that looks like this, they probably won't have a draw (because there aren't many draws), and they probably won't have an overpair (because most of those would have raised you preflop). So they'll usually have two pair or better, unless they're bluffing. Even if they have a lot of bluffs in their range here though, your hand is in really bad shape. As played, you probably should have folded.

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 05:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
IF your standard raise pre-flop at this point of a tournament is then maybe try a slight adjusment to 2.15/2.25 for your smaller opening bet range and around 2.4 for your larger ones. Do NOT differentiate between the two by quality of hands but instead by POSITION.

Some will say to use the larger raise for later position and the smaller for earlier position (this is all about not exposing too much of your stack pre-flop in the later stages of a MTT or SNG so as to more easily find your fold button if necessary...). Personally I prefer to do the opposite and lead out for the slightly larger amount from earlier positions so as to discourage multiple entries into the pot if I can.

But if you DO have a standard opening bet size never deviate from that because of the quality of your cards. This is easily exploitable by anyone that is paying attention. If you DON'T have a standard opening range then get one. Now.

And yes it is OK,even desirable,to deviate from this every once in a while just to "change gears" and try to keep your opponents wrong-footed. Just be sure to mix up the type of hands you do that with as well...say maybe once with a premium pair then next time with a lower suited connector type hand (like 87). Also mixing it up here and there by position is good. But mainly you want to stick to one opening bet size,or two later in the game dependent on position,so as to hide your hand strength.

So IF had been your standard raise size here then your opening raise is fine. The not being able to find your fold button is what got you in trouble here.

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:04 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Moxie man you're helping me a lot here I will make sure my fold button will be BIG enough next time, i should have paid more attention to that reraise on the flop, I risked too much for over cards.

I have probs to mix my style thats maybe because I'm still afraid of losing too much...I fight it everyday, but there are battles still pending against it.

can you recommend me any texts or vids to learn how to mix and play stronger?

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
14bb with AK preflop = ship it IMO

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
In this spot, you really cannot raise and risk a "mistake fold" on the flop. The amount you raise, even a min raise pre flop, is just too damaging to your stack.

AK derives a special benefit if it is all in pre-flop, and that is that it can see all 5 cards, thus prventing any possibility of a "mistake fold". Also, it is a hand which is a race against any hands except AA/KK.

It is not, however, a strong MADE hand like AA/KK/QQ, where you really do not mind shippign the rest of your chips on ANY flop. AK will miss the flop about 2/3rds of the tie, and set you up to have a very difficult decision no matter what your opponent does:

A) He checks, and if you've missed you are on a decision as to whether shove on a 6 out over card draw.

B) He bets, and you must decide whether to jam on the same 6 over card draw, OR possibly fold away your pre flop raise amount. Neither option is really good...

That is why this short, with AK you should seek to SIMPLIFY your decisions, by jsut moving all in pre-flop.

You are so short you NEED to be courting races. AK is going to be in a solid race so often if you get called pre flop that this is exactly what you want to do. What you do NOT want to do is raise any amount, miss the flop, fold, and then have your opponent show you an un-paired AQ...

...so don't risk that, and just go all in pre flop.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
You are so short you NEED to be courting races. AK is going to be in a solid race so often if you get called pre flop that this is exactly what you want to do. What you do NOT want to do is raise any amount, miss the flop, fold, and then have your opponent show you an un-paired AQ...

...so don't risk that, and just go all in pre flop.

Hope it helps.

-JDean
+1

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com