Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Is it justifiable to call a shove here with my JJ?

View Poll Results: Call or Fold?
Call 7 87.50%
Fold 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old
Is it justifiable to call a shove here with my JJ? - Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
$0.10 360-turbo MTT. 18 players left. About 10 BB left in my stack.

Last edited by ggervacio; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I choose no Well fold,

But in certian situations i would call less that 10 BB's afteer all)

but i can not say its a good /ok/great call becuase you have told us nothing about the Villian.

IS he playing every hand? Tight, only raising with the goods? Some more info will help in deciding if we risk it all here or fold and grab a bucket to throw up into....

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Maybe! But probably!

You have less than 10 bb's or a rather low M if you prefer that way and you have given us no read on the shover! Have you seen him do this b4 have you seen anything about him? Did you hit your time bank and think about it or do you have any time left? What is your table image.... I ask this because it may be a reason why he is making his move!
If he is doing this with a wide range then all day long! We are a 58% to 42% fav even against a 5% range and we are only afraid of 3 hands QQ, KK and AA. Most times they are not doing this with those hands as they lose way too much value! If however he has got a read on you and he thinks you will call it lightly ................... I'm just saying.

Gidee Up!

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I don't think you have 18 players left or you'd have a full table.
As the others say, for a decent analysis, you need to provide info on the villain and even possibly the two players to his left. They should be considered in this because the villain obv. has no worry about shoving on them (or you) ...and that says a lot.
If I've never seen this player open shove without a monster, or at all, then I don't like the call. I would usually rather be the one shoving in a situation like this, rather than be the caller.
More info is always better than less.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
(#5)
the only thing fresh in my mind about my opponent at that time was he called my preflop raise (x3BB) with K2o. I just prayed that he was just holding an AK and not a better pair when I called his shove. I will have to work on reading my opponents. Most of my decision is simply based on my hole cards and the board.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
I don't think you have 18 players left or you'd have a full table.
We could have been 19+. I also looked at the "money" bracket to see where I was before calling.
I did finish in 18th. 'Could be a split second difference when 19th got busted before me.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:49 AM
(#7)
Going on no opponent read given I would have to call with sub 10bb.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
Easiest call ever. Pot is 5250 to start with and he will turn here flip or worse here more than enough times here to justify the call. It's also a short table so our time is REALLY running out.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puciek View Post
Easiest call ever. Pot is 5250 to start with and he will turn here flip or worse here more than enough times here to justify the call. It's also a short table so our time is REALLY running out.
This.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
(#10)
Also, the stake is so low and I have seen plenty of shoves with far worse hands, and JJ is not that bad anyway, at least i think it isn't in that stage of the tournament. Final table is still a long way, but if I win that coin flip, I will have a better chance of making the final table.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
unless I had a read on that opp, that they were a 100% total nit and only playing QQ+, it's an instant call in my eyes. If the opp had been calling raises with hands like K2o or shown shoving with less than QQ+, I can't get my chips into the pot fast enough.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com