Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

SNG £1.50 18 players I can win this - ouch!

Old
SNG £1.50 18 players I can win this - ouch! - Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Being the chip leader in the money was I too rash with my SB shove over button raiser?

Had just read poker school Odds and Outs earlier in the day thought I'd apply it and moan about a bad beat or not?

Opponent:
2 outs if I have an over pair from flop to river
odds 100 - ( 2 x 4 ) = 92%
probability 92 / 8 = 11.5 / 1

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
I hate that shove, just hate it. Yes - you are not folding AK pref 3 handed, but you don't just shove it like retarded monkey either. Make it 3-4k, be ready to call his all-in.

Old
Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I wouldn't have shoved pre. I would absolutely 3-bet to about 3600 and be ready to call a shove. This is the one of the two opps that can hurt your chip stack if you lose, so I'd want to raise and see a flop if I could, but if the opp 4-bet jams, I'm calling.
If you shove, you're normally only going to get called by a better hand and be either in a race or dominated.

If you raised to 3600 and the opp called, then I'm absolutely shoving the flop with top 2 pair (opp should fold 44 here, as any pair that you have on the board only gives them 2 outs).

Even if the opp folds to your 3-bet pre, you're still gaining 2250 chips (about 20% of your stack) and at this point in a tourney, increasing your stack by 20% without any resistance is a good thing.

When you shoved you were only at 46% equity in the hand and will lose more than you will win. To win a tourney, you will need to win some races, but I think you could have done better here by playing it differently.

Last edited by JWK24; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: add equities

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:19 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Thanks.

I had considered a "3-bet - what if opp calls - and I miss the flop" scenario.

Am I going to C-bet with a AK draw (is this out of position?) and checking shows weakness. This opp would over pot bet with a good ace on a low flop. But with 4s who knows.

So AK 3-bet if called and I miss flop check and fold to a pot bet?

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
You are first to act OTF so you simple shove. If I 3-bet someone in a live game and he just calls it, i pretty much c-bet blind before flop is dealt (because calling 3-bet is THAT weak).

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If they just call your 3-bet and do not 4-bet shove preflop.... I'm shoving the flop, regardless, 100% of the time here.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com