Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

analys

Old
analys - Thu Dec 15, 2011, 04:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
**** # 1 **************
PokerStars Game #72191113914: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2011/12/15 4:20:02 ET
Table 'Stentor' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Noton*S ($0.75 in chips)
Seat 2: TTomy76 ($1.62 in chips)
Seat 3: Chinga4kuk ($4.34 in chips)
Seat 4: yozhykus ($5.19 in chips)
Seat 5: holdemace486 ($0.89 in chips)
Seat 6: BuLiUkFF ($2 in chips)
Noton*S: posts small blind $0.01
TTomy76: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to holdemace486 [9s Ts]
Chinga4kuk: folds
yozhykus: calls $0.02
holdemace486: calls $0.02
BuLiUkFF: folds
Noton*S: folds
TTomy76: checks
*** FLOP *** [Jc Kc 8s]
TTomy76: bets $0.02
yozhykus: folds
holdemace486: calls $0.02
*** TURN *** [Jc Kc 8s] [6s]
TTomy76: bets $0.08
holdemace486: calls $0.08
*** RIVER *** [Jc Kc 8s 6s] [As]
TTomy76: bets $0.24
holdemace486: raises $0.24 to $0.48
TTomy76: raises $0.24 to $0.72
holdemace486: calls $0.24
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TTomy76: shows [6d 6c] (three of a kind, Sixes)
holdemace486: shows [9s Ts] (a flush, Ace high)
holdemace486 collected $1.63 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.71 | Rake $0.08
Board [Jc Kc 8s 6s As]
Seat 1: Noton*S (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: TTomy76 (big blind) showed [6d 6c] and lost with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 3: Chinga4kuk folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: yozhykus folded on the Flop
Seat 5: holdemace486 showed [9s Ts] and won ($1.63) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 6: BuLiUkFF (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Whoop Whoop!

You posted a winning hand.

What I like here is the level of pot control from both players.

Notice how the villain limped in, min-bet the flop and then bet out when he caught the set on the turn.

I like your flat call on the turn too, no need to get fancy and you have so many outs, good job there!

People might say here that you got lucky by runner runner the flush but I don't think so.

You make your own luck in life and here you did a good job by keeping the pot under control til' you hit one of the outs that you needed.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
thx royal on evaluating all the hands i posted i did think i was ahead with the qq and as for the ak just took a gamble presuming i had overs ty

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Pre-flop: We have 109s here. Always calling and seeing a flop with position here on the cheap. I'm even willing to go as high as calling a 3x,maybe even a 4x bet here if I'm confident in my ability to outplay the villains post flop. Most times in 2NL I am,especially with position. So good call here.

Flop: Flop an open ended straight draw here so in 100% agreement with calling. Yep,yep,yep.

The villains bet here is actually very weak and is representing an under pair or a blank on an Ax hand. It's definitely a "I really didn't like this flop" bet,minus a specific read that the villain will get cute with big flops and under bet them to entice a a re-raise. Therefore I can even see making a re-raise here if you don't have that read on the villain. With the weakness of their bet I could easily see them giving up right here and if they don't you're building a pot that you have a decent chance of hitting a big hand with. You can even be setting them up for firing another barrel on the turn if they display weakness again.

Remember you DON'T have a made hand yet,so anytime the villain presents you an opening to take the pot down with a bet you should strongly consider that option.

Turn: Not a great card for us and the villain is betting as if,at worst,the card didn't scare them. But with an open ended straight draw and now a flush draw (Hell even a gutshot straight flush draw), I'm fine with calling here. The times you hit this you should get paid enough to outweigh the times you don't when it's this relatively cheap to call.

River: OK we hit a flush here,so that's good but not necessarily great. I'm never giving the villain credit for Kx spades here but Jx spades is a possibility the way they played this hand. Any Q10 hand is well within his range here and Q10s is a hand that I would have made that bet he made on the Turn with myself. Me I would probably prefer to just flat here as I have showdown value but I could be beat. That's a personal preference for me at these levels though as I really only like to get it in for stacks on the river when I'm much more clear that I'm best than I would be here. You are committing your stack when you raise here as you can never be folding if he comes back at you. And players at 2NL WILL pay you off frequently enough when you know you're best that you don't have to make a stretch on a board like this.

To me the villain needed to bet the Turn bigger here to attempt to price you off a drawing hand. A 4x bet isn't going to do it for me on a board this wet. So while you did get a bit lucky on the River here the villain allowed you to get lucky with a weak bet on the Turn.

Nice hand.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Dec 15, 2011 at 06:19 AM..

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Pre Flop:

A cheap limp along with T9 is fine in the cut off chair.

You do prefer to NOT have to make the straight or flush this sort of hand will give a reasonable amount of time by the river though, so this means you really want an opponent with the ability to fold some misses so your semi bluffs have a reasonable shot at working.

Flop:

Your call is not aggressive enough, and leaves you card dependant. With position, TEST this weak lead bet with RAISE on at least 1 street.

I've been noticing a lot of weak lead bets by opponents in some of the HA posts lately, and this is another one by a Villain.

The pot going to the flop is limped and you called, so it is at 7c.
Villain bets 2c.

You are the effective stack in the hand with about 45BB to start. That stack size is really too short to be passively DRAWING at your straight all the way to the river. Consider...

Villain bets 2c on flop, pot = 9c.
You call = 11c

If he fires half pot on the turn (about 6c), and you do NOT hit your straight here, do you call again in this SMALL pot, with only 1 street to draw at again?

Now do not get me wrong, if your opponent is extremely aggro, or if he is willing to jam the river frequently, there MAY be reason for doing as you did. But you do not include those reads here.

If you lack that info, a raise to around 8c or 10c to go on the flop does not stick you overly much to the pot (it is not MTT poker where you must sweat chip loss effecting your overall event equity), and that is a bet sizing which will tend to either win you the pot without risking a miss about 2/3rds the time that calling to the river will bring.

It can ALSO tend to buy you "free cards", as if you attack that min bet he may check the turn, allowing you to check behind and see the turn AND river for the same price; that 8c or 10c is quite likely to be right around the price you'd have to pay at least to try CALLING to your straight, only calling does not have the added benefit of possibly folding out a hand that is better than your straight draw NOW...see?

So aggressive actions tend to give you 2 ways to win (holding the best by the river, or making a better hand fold), while passive actions leave you just 1 way (holding the best on the river). In the widest range of circumstances, a RAISE on this flop seems to be a better play than a call, but please understand, a CALL here will have its place at times too...

Turn:

Ok, you see the strong bet on the turn.
You've added a flush draw to go with your OESD, so I will be really honest, I do not mind this CALL at all.

If all your outs are clean, you have 1 chance to spike 15 outs, or about a 32% chance.

Realistically, your have some "dirty out" potential there, as a Q makes a higher straight possible, and a couple of your straight draws are clubs which MIGHT make the villain a flush. Still, with the betting patterns here, this looks like he has some sort of made hand after his turn bet, and not really a draw.

I'd "discount" the total value of your outs only to around 11 or 12 outs though, so you have a realistic chance at having at least 25% chance of spiking the best river hand.

On pot odds only, you need about 3 to 1 on a call here to break even on EV, and you are getting only about 2 to 1 on pot odds (2.375 to 1 actually). So if you can expect him to at LEAST pay off 8c or so on the river, either by him leading again (quite likely), or by him calling, that pays you for your risk here.

Hence, I like the call a lot, because 8c is VERY call-able by even a 1 pair hand if you lead it on the river behind his check.

River:

You spike, and villain now leads strongly.

You do as you should, and go for max value with a shove.

He calls. You scoop.

Nice job.

To sum up:

The only issue I have with your play here is that you did not semi bluff raise your oesd on the flop.

Yo had room to do so then, but your stack size was not likely going to have much semi bluff power if you call behind on the flop, and see a turn bet.

If the villain had shown some patterns (like continued small bet sizing through the river, as well as those noted above), your call is better than it is here. For the WIDEST range of circumstances, you should be trying to use position and aggression to take down pots without having to hit your straights and flushes.

Other than that, you played the hand quite well.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop, limping with suited connectors is not a problem. You'd idealy want more in the hand to make your odds better, but it's ok.

On the flop, you get an open ended straight draw. I'm absolutely calling the 2 cents here.

On the turn, you now pick up a flush draw and you will have to put 8 cents into 27 (29.6%). With both draws, your equity here is higher than the % you have to put into the pot, so you need to call.

On the river, you get the flush. The opp could have a straight, or a higher flush (Q 10 spades is well within their range here), or less. The opp leads out for a bet almost 90% of the pot. You can do 2 things here, call it down or raise. If you raise, then you need to be ready to call a 3-bet by the opp.
While there is a hand, Q10s, that is in their range that can beat you, if it were me here, I'm raising, as there are many worse hands that can call your raise. I'd have raised more than you did though, making just less than a pot-sized raise (raise to about 65 cents). When the opp 3-bets, I like just calling here, since the hand that can beat us IS in their range.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com