Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Not for me.....

Old
Not for me..... - Thu Dec 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Hi fellow PSO'ers,

I'm not looking for sympathy here (coz I know there isn't any), but I'd just like to give my tuppence worth of thoughts on the PSO Open League (or 'Bingo' as some of you affectionately call it!).

First of all, I play poker simply to challenge myself building a bankroll from nothing, while at the same time having 'fun & enjoyment' from the game. If I manage to do both then great.

I've been playing poker on & off since around 1999. I've probably spent as much time studying the game as I have played. Mistake perhaps?, but I guess we all have to do our homework !

Read books (Harrington on Holdem, Sklansky Theory, Brunson Super System & many others), watching videos on the forum as well as clips by Jonathan Little, Marty Smith, Colin Moshman, FlopTurnRiver clips, Cardrunners & many others. Literally hours & hours of vids that are much appreciated.

But, 'reading & watching' is the easy part, 'absorbing' this vast amount of information is another matter entirely.....and then.... putting it into practise on the tables is where the 'fun' bit kicks in, or at least that's what I naively thought leading up to my assault on the PSO Open League. What a wake up call that is!! LOL!

I read quite a few threads on the forum regarding the league and took on board alot of the concepts & strategies needed to get up the ladder as high as possible. The 'Burn & Fold' idea seemed quite intriguing, so I gave it a go.

Have to say that in it's defence, this 'harsh' strategy DOES WORK to some degree. However, my 'enjoyment' of the game deteriorated a great deal. I'm the type of person that when something stops being 'enjoyable' then I start to lose interest quite quickly & find no point in carrying on.

What do we learn from 'folding' cards?? Patience?? Gimme a break!! (I currently have a VPIP/PFR of 9 & 7 @ the cash tables...I make Helmuth look like a freakin maniac ffs...lol! (Yes I know.....wishful thinking!! ))

I also made the wrong assumption, that if I managed to accumulate the 20 VPP's needed for the 'better' prize DURING this month, then perhaps all the hours spent (4 tournies/day = approx. 1.5 hrs per tourney = 6 hours/day X 29 days = 174 hrs) would be worth it, say...'hypothetically' for a top 40 cash payout ($10). Please note this finish was based on my approx. calculation where I needed to place consistently throughout the month in each individual tourney (for '10+' pts or >).

I realise now, that I had to get those VPP's in order to qualify for the better prizes....last month!! (Homer Simpson moment).

So on reflection, I ask myself, is it really worth the effort for such little reward when I would be better off perhaps playing the same 174 hours at a 2c/5c cash table? Or at this time of year, standing outside in the freezing cold singing xmas carols to a group of Jehovahs witnesses??

Anyhow, I've almost got the required VPP's for next month, & providing I finish in the top 500 (I may have this wrong), may possibly qualify for the Premier League....maybe some kind fellow PSO'er/admin could confirm that.

If not, then I'm not going to bother playing in the open league next month. I'll stick to grinding the micro stakes cash tables & maybe even take up one of Cowboys' challenges (YEEHAWWWW!)

I may 'fold it out' for the rest of the month (reluctantly), as it seems a shame to waste all the time currently invested.

Apologies for the long winded post....ya's should made a sandwich & a cuppa beforehand

GL @ the tables peeps _o/

All the best.

Paul (aka zZ.Ma$kin.Zz)

p.s. At the time of writing this I stand 70th in the league, but will drop down further due to busting out early ('-' pts), in the 10PM (UK time) tourney...(knew I shoulda folded them damn QQ's...grrr...lol )

Last edited by zZ.Ma$kin.Zz; Thu Dec 15, 2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zZ.Ma$kin.Zz View Post

Anyhow, I've almost got the required VPP's for next month, & providing I finish in the top 500 (I may have this wrong), may possibly qualify for the Premier League....maybe some kind fellow PSO'er/admin could confirm that.

I
If you're in the top 500 and have 20VPP's you will qualify for the Premier League next month.

Remember, there is a 2nd way to qualify for the Premier League and that is thru the Premier Skill League Qualifier.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 06:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
The fact that you are finding the Open League soul destroying is a good sign.

The "burn and fold" players generally do not translate well into good performances in the Premier League.

Don't even think about the Open cash prizes. If you can, get the 150VPPs in December and go for the Premier League's top prizes.

Hope to see you in January!

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:02 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post
The fact that you are finding the Open League soul destroying is a good sign.

The "burn and fold" players generally do not translate well into good performances in the Premier League.

Don't even think about the Open cash prizes. If you can, get the 150VPPs in December and go for the Premier League's top prizes.

Hope to see you in January!

Will give it a go for the 150 (overall table time permitting due to festive period).

Cheers Pentire (hope to see you too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
If you're in the top 500 and have 20VPP's you will qualify for the Premier League next month.

Remember, there is a 2nd way to qualify for the Premier League and that is thru the Premier Skill League Qualifier.

Thanks for the clarification JWK

All the best guys.

Paul (aka zZ.Ma$kin.Zz)

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2011
another option if you dont care about the 50 cents, sign up for all the open league tourneys and just go allin everyhand youll be out of top 700 in no time and back into the open league next month

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
another option if you dont care about the 50 cents, sign up for all the open league tourneys and just go allin everyhand youll be out of top 700 in no time and back into the open league next month

With all due respect Tiber, which part of the title thread 'Not for me....', didn't you understand??

Did you actually take the time to read & understand my OP??

Why would I try to accumulate the VPP's needed in order to qualify (in the top 500) for next month's premier league by just 'donking' in the 'bingo' league??

Donking may be fun for some people....but when your trying to 'build' a bankroll....it isn't an option.....yes?

GL @ the felt Tiber.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:11 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
you will find donking at all levels, even at high buyin games there are plenty of donks, some are true donks, some are sharks exploiting the rocks who fold all but the nuts... if you want to succeed you will need to wade through the crap, find a style that suits you and play play play, nothing beats downswings, and bad cards like volume, and continual learning

Oh and Tiber I think doesn't read every line posted, just every other one lol

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:31 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
you will find donking at all levels, even at high buyin games there are plenty of donks, some are true donks, some are sharks exploiting the rocks who fold all but the nuts... if you want to succeed you will need to wade through the crap, find a style that suits you and play play play, nothing beats downswings, and bad cards like volume, and continual learning

Oh and Tiber I think doesn't read every line posted, just every other one lol

....and a very sticky crap hole it is!!

Yes Tiber, speed-reading & weed don't mix well

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com