Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

10 fpp turbo, difficult decision on river.

Old
10 fpp turbo, difficult decision on river. - Fri Dec 16, 2011, 05:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
It was very early on so I have no real reads on anyone on the table yet and i've struggled with hands like this throughout my playing days. I'm quite certain I played this hand very dreadfully, won't show what I ended up doing but will tell afterward as to not influence advice.

PokerStars Game #72239123490: Tournament #476294269, 10FPP Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/12/16 14:11:53 ACST [2011/12/15 22:41:53 ET]Table '476294269 100' 9-max

Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: vlady2 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: UNREALLLLLLL (1200 in chips)
Seat 3: mamabear1961 (1880 in chips)
Seat 4: AusBas (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: 33Bones (1460 in chips)
Seat 6: GazzaT412 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: polen1998 (1460 in chips)
Seat 8: net0supernov (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: royalfreak79 (1500 in chips)
mamabear1961: posts small blind 10
AusBas: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to AusBas [Ad 5c]
33Bones: calls 20
GazzaT412: folds
polen1998: folds
net0supernov: folds
royalfreak79: folds
vlady2: folds
UNREALLLLLLL: folds
mamabear1961: calls 10
AusBas: checks
*** FLOP *** [Kd 9h Ah]
mamabear1961: checks
AusBas: bets 60
33Bones: calls 60
mamabear1961: folds
*** TURN *** [Kd 9h Ah] [9c]
AusBas: bets 100
33Bones: raises 100 to 200
AusBas: calls 100
*** RIVER *** [Kd 9h Ah 9c] [5s]
AusBas: checks
33Bones: bets 340

What should I have done?

Last edited by AusBas; Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 05:18 AM..

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 05:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Not bet the turn, duh.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 05:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Why not? It has bluff potential against stronger aces, and value potential against just about everything else besides a nine. I think calling the turn minraise was your biggest mistake. Some more info on the villain would help though, since some people would play flush draws and total air like this on occasion.

The best advice I can give you is to stop giving any one pair so much value that you'll double-barrel it and find yourself calling at least one raise when everything the villain is doing tells you you're beat. Pay more attention to the message they're sending and as soon as it says they're strong, fold. In micro games like this, almost nobody is sophisticated enough to take advantage of that by making consistently good bluffs, so you'll usually be saving heaps of chips.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 06:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Why not? It has bluff potential against stronger aces, and value potential against just about everything else besides a nine. I think calling the turn minraise was your biggest mistake. Some more info on the villain would help though, since some people would play flush draws and total air like this on occasion.

The best advice I can give you is to stop giving any one pair so much value that you'll double-barrel it and find yourself calling at least one raise when everything the villain is doing tells you you're beat. Pay more attention to the message they're sending and as soon as it says they're strong, fold. In micro games like this, almost nobody is sophisticated enough to take advantage of that by making consistently good bluffs, so you'll usually be saving heaps of chips.
No one is folding an A in freeroll tourney here. By betting turn you are building a pot that you will either split or lose, nothing else.
You could build a case for trying to represent AK/X9 in a medium-high stakes game, not a donkfest (you beat donkfests by playing ABC poker, fancy plays are for higher levels).

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:40 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puciek View Post
You could build a case for trying to represent AK/X9 in a medium-high stakes game, not a donkfest (you beat donkfests by playing ABC poker, fancy plays are for higher levels).
This ^^

You should never act more than 1 level above your opposition. In tournaments filled with level 0 players and a few level 1's advanced plays are --EV. Players must be aware before you use more than ABC poker against them.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Preflop, checking and seeing a free flop is what you want to be doing. Unless you hit three small cards for a straight, you're playing the entire hand with a horrible kicker and out of position.

On the flop, you hit top pair, which is good... but.. basically anyone else with an ace out kicks you. Making a bet here IS a good thing and you get one caller (the preflop limper). A limper preflop that calls a pot-sized bet on the flop is going to have hit a part of it (99, 89s, 9 10s, J9s, Kx, or hearts for example).

When the turn pairs the board, this is a big problem, as it hits a good portion of the opp's range and gives them trips (maybe even quads). The only hands in the opp's range that you're still ahead of are Kx and hearts. If it was me, I'm checking and seeing what happens.
If the opp has a 9, they're going to bet here because they want to price out a flush draw. Kx would most likely check behind, scared of now, not only an A, but now a 9 too, along with the flush draw.
By betting here, then having the opp raise you, the opp basically turn the nine face up and you need to muck to this immediately. If you check and they check behind, then you need to re-evaluate on the river.

River: easy fold to their bet. They most likely have a 9 and have the best hand and the best you can do is to win 1/2 the pot, not the entire pot.

Regardless of the outcome, this hand is a good one to be taking notes on the opp, as you can see what is in their preflop limp range and see if they'll bet only with the nuts, or bluff twice without the nuts.

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:16 PM
(#7)
Thanks for all the advice guys, definitely taking notes of it. For the record I did fold to the river bet.

AusBas: folds
Uncalled bet (340) returned to 33Bones
33Bones collected 580 from pot

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com