Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

vs a fish-big11

Old
vs a fish-big11 - Fri Dec 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

i 3bet here because the Hijack position will raise with any 2 in this position and against the fish in the small blind he have a wide range.

the fish in the SB will play any two and is very lucky. always hit the nuts on the board with 24o will complete his staright j8o will get set of 8's at the turn, saw him play w anything and keeps on winning. he's my target.

i forgot to tell you one more thing i saw him call a 4bb's raise w 24s 3 way only to shove w complete air postflop to isolate short stack's all in

post flop-as fish always do bet small amount into a big pot what can we do here i missed so i jut float

here he told us he have set of 9's i note that but didn't believe him. because he ont that a couple of times saying he got this he got that but really doesn't matter

turn hit my Q that's the only thing i wish for and im ready to be busto here

oh no he didn't have the set of 9's

didn't delieve what he said -- I'm out

Last edited by marvinsytan; Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: with a raise and a call, I'd have raised more, to about 1k. Your raise without the limper is fine, but think that you need to raise more due to the limper (you basically want to price one of the two out, so you're not playing a 3-way pot)... plus, you're OUT OF POSITION, which means if you're going to raise, it needs to be a bit more.

On the flop: if you raised preflop, then checking here is going to be looked as weak. When you do check and the button bets, it's a really, really small bet (less than 1/12th pot).... that is not a std value bet and should be one that is alarming. The opp could have checked and taken a free card if they're drawing to something... but they make a small tempting bet (which is a VERY strong play by the opponent. The bet is small, which normally means that the opp has a monster). Limp then a bet like this will almost always be a set.

On the turn, you really hit about the worst card you could... top pair.... and you checked. With the way this played out, you're in deep trouble either way... but... you really need to bet here. You've got top pair on a dry board, when the opp showed extreme strength on the flop. I'd have made a 1k bet and folded to a raise from the opp on the button (you've still got a playable stack and if they raise, they DO have a set and you're drawing dead).
To check raise here would be ok... IF AND ONLY IF... the opp did not show that much strength on the flop, and if you do raise, it needs to be a shove, not a small raise that is basically irrelevant compared to the pot size.
Since they bet the flop and 3-bet you on the turn, you have to fold. If you didn't fold before this... you gotta get out now, as they have a set.

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 01:07 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
preflop: with a raise and a call, I'd have raised more, to about 1k. Your raise without the limper is fine, but think that you need to raise more due to the limper (you basically want to price one of the two out, so you're not playing a 3-way pot)... plus, you're OUT OF POSITION, which means if you're going to raise, it needs to be a bit more.

On the flop: if you raised preflop, then checking here is going to be looked as weak. When you do check and the button bets, it's a really, really small bet (less than 1/12th pot).... that is not a std value bet and should be one that is alarming. The opp could have checked and taken a free card if they're drawing to something... but they make a small tempting bet (which is a VERY strong play by the opponent. The bet is small, which normally means that the opp has a monster). Limp then a bet like this will almost always be a set.

On the turn, you really hit about the worst card you could... top pair.... and you checked. With the way this played out, you're in deep trouble either way... but... you really need to bet here. You've got top pair on a dry board, when the opp showed extreme strength on the flop. I'd have made a 1k bet and folded to a raise from the opp on the button (you've still got a playable stack and if they raise, they DO have a set and you're drawing dead).
To check raise here would be ok... IF AND ONLY IF... the opp did not show that much strength on the flop, and if you do raise, it needs to be a shove, not a small raise that is basically irrelevant compared to the pot size.
Since they bet the flop and 3-bet you on the turn, you have to fold. If you didn't fold before this... you gotta get out now, as they have a set.
maybe I'm just so jealous how a player like that can run like a jaguar. that's why i didn't give him the credit of having a set.even when he told me he have a set of 9, your right i should be alarmed with the small bet but my mind is closed he's a fish he's a fish he will pay you off.

i think this is also my weakness if i give him a hand PRE that's it that's his hand it wont change no matter what the flop and the action is..i need to be open minded. i needed to look carefully what the action is telling me. if i give him a range. it should be change depending on his action.

looking back at the hand I keep telling myself he's the fish you want to play with him. In this play I'm the fish after all.

GOOD GOOD i learned again

thank you

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 01:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
try watching these, they should help. I know it's a lot of them, but you should be able to learn something from all of these that will apply.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...3-Hand-Reading
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ith-Aggression
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...on-23-Position
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ession-25-Odds
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...r-exploitation

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com