Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

this is the differrence between a pro and amateur

Old
this is the differrence between a pro and amateur - Sat Dec 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
well, this one falls into a section of a book that I just got done reading right before looking at this. A 3-bet from the SB has to be respected more than from the BB. The SB's 3-bet needs to make it thru 2 people, not just one.

When ranging the opponent, why would you think they would do this with a small pair, but not AK? AK, while not a made hand, is a hand with much better potential than a mid to low pair and is the case why it's ranked as a cat 1 hand, while pairs from JJ on down, are not.

This is the spot, after the 3-bet that you need to look at. You've got 2 options, either 4-bet shove, as you did, or to fold to the 3-bet. In this case, if it's me, I'm folding to their 3-bet and trying to find a better situation to get my chips into due to this..... the only hands that will call a 4-bet shove are ALL ahead of you. All small pairs are ahead of you, also any ace is ahead of you. That gives you 6 outs at best (if they don't have one of your cards dominated, then you've only got 3 outs).
The opp could be 3-betting light and fold part of the time, but if they have any type of hand at all (which could easily be the case since they're doing this from the SB and not the BB), then you're behind in the hand.

If the opp sensed that you would fold to a 3-bet (as TC says that you did prior in the tourney a few times), then with a category 1 hand, I'm making a 3-bet every time and just hoping that you raise... because then they know they'll be ahead of you... or fold, by which they get free chips with no risk.
Raise/folding too often is definitely something that a good player will pick up on and try to exploit in this exact manner.

OK, of course now I know this

really Teacher I tank hard in this situation I remember this scenario already. It happened to me already and of course don't want to happened again

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

but but I got QQ,

yes i know only JJ below is the card I can beat plus for the fact I know in my heart he will not do this without QQ and up AK AQ is definitely out with this much action.

I tank hard promise

but I just can't FOLD it

Im sorry teacher for not listening

that's why im here playing at small stakes

need a lot to be learn

need to be disciplined enough to FOLD when you know that your beaten. I really know Im beat I just want to make sure.

luckily I hit my Q. but still not reason to celebrate I can't win my big tournament if I keep making same mistake s over and over again

to all pokerschool member, let's listen to our parents in school we need to listen to our teacher's instruction always no if's no but's even with premium hand like Q's

TEACHER knows best

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 05:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
what you can do here with QQ is to play after the flop too.
Remember, this is hold'em poker, not hold card poker, so you have to have the best hand after all you see all 7 cards, not just the two in your hand (it took me a little while to figure this one out myself, as I was shoving too much preflop when I started playing hold'em).

You're absolutely correct to raise preflop, but when the opp 3-bets, you can just call, instead of getting into a raising war preflop. I'm basically NEVER folding QQ to that small of a 3-bet preflop.

If the flop comes with an A or K or is highly coordinated, then you can get off the hand (when you're sure you're beat) and still have a playable stack of about 30 BB.

You got lucky here, but early in a tourney, you want to make sure that you have the best hand after all 7 cards, not just two.

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
what you can do here with QQ is to play after the flop too.
Remember, this is hold'em poker, not hold card poker, so you have to have the best hand after all you see all 7 cards, not just the two in your hand (it took me a little while to figure this one out myself, as I was shoving too much preflop when I started playing hold'em).

You're absolutely correct to raise preflop, but when the opp 3-bets, you can just call, instead of getting into a raising war preflop. I'm basically NEVER folding QQ to that small of a 3-bet preflop.

If the flop comes with an A or K or is highly coordinated, then you can get off the hand (when you're sure you're beat) and still have a playable stack of about 30 BB.

You got lucky here, but early in a tourney, you want to make sure that you have the best hand after all 7 cards, not just two.

thank you sir,

i will just call to 3bet instead of 4betting then analyze my hand from there, it's early in the tournament no need to be going to war this early.

just stand back and hold on to your position soldier.

noted sir

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 05:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
if it's later in the tourney or you have a smaller chip stack, 4-bet all-in is a good play too. I think you've just got too many chips to do it here.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com