Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BB steal 3 limpers

Old
BB steal 3 limpers - Sat Dec 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

this is a bold move, teacher

reason for doing this

It's been a while since I played my last hand so my table image is tight

MP is limping light I know this because I saw what are the cards his limping with

2 other limpers maybe have small pairs or any random suited connectors becuse if they premium they will be raising themselves

why did I shove not just bet 10bb's which is more enough for hem to fold?

I said no, because MP will call me with hands like KJo KQs because i saw him do that twice he doesn't want to let go of his limp with 10bb's he will definitely protect it and I'm in bad situation postflop. i really need to win this hand now as in PRE.

if I bet 2000 it's useless also beuse I'm pot committed so that's the reason for this BOLD move

what do you say teachers?

my hand reading is improving

and my strategy is improving

thank you teachers

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Fact is marvin, if you are going to TRY a steal here, that all in is your only real move.

the question then becomes: do you HAVE to make that steal now?

With 3k on a 120 big blind level, and 3 limpers, you are going to have to get them ALL to fold for a steal to work. The more players there are who limp, the less likely that is to happen.

so you are probably quite correct that the only real chance you have to try a steal is to make it an all in.

with that said, an all in COULD work, if your image is good. Your statements reveal that yours probably is the right kind of image for it to work though. the thing I have to look at though is the fact that you do indicate that 1 player at least here is likely to call you lightly. THAT means he may not even be aware of your image as playing tightly, right?

if he calls, even if it is an otherwise DUMB call with a hand like QT (or even pp 3), you are in baaaaaaad shape here. That greatly increases the risk of trying a steal at all.

So what it boils down to is this:

1) your stack is still reasonable, so you do not "need" the chips a steal might bring you.

2) your image is correct to try a steal, but because of the number of limpers, your bluff bet must be LARGE...that is risky, but at least your image is in your favor.

3) you do key to the fact that a less than all in steal is pretty hope-less, so you pull the trigger for the correct amount to have any real chance of a steal working.

4) your opponents also should be "right", those who are likely to fold to your pressure. Per your read info, that may NOT be present here.

Added all together, this means the risk you took here is probably not QUITE what you want to do.

If you held a hand like T9s or JTs, this might be a better place to try a steal. with that sort of hand, even if you do get a weak call from the guy who is most likely to sheriff a shove, you are probably going to have decent equity.

Since you lack that sort of decent equity with a hand like 53o if you are called, this is not QUITE the spot for your bluff shove.

...it is getting close though, and you ARE starting to use more info bits that you should be using. Plus, it did work.

so good hand!

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Last edited by JDean; Sat Dec 17, 2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 05:56 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Fact is marvin, if you are going to TRY a steal here, that all in is your only real move.

the question then becomes: do you HAVE to make that steal now?

With 3k on a 120 big blind level, and 3 limpers, you are going to have to get them ALL to fold for a steal to work. The more players there are who limp, the less likely that is to happen.

so you are probably quite correct that the only real chance you have to try a steal is to make it an all in.

with that said, an all in COULD work, if your image is good. Your statements reveal that yours probably is the right kind of image for it to work though. the thing I have to look at though is the fact that you do indicate that 1 player at least here is likely to call you lightly. THAT means he may not even be aware of your image as playing tightly, right?

if he calls, even if it is an otherwise DUMB call with a hand like QT (or even pp 3), you are in baaaaaaad shape here. That greatly increases the risk of trying a steal at all.

So what it boils down to is this:

1) your stack is still reasonable, so you do not "need" the chips a steal might bring you.

2) your image is correct to try a steal, but because of the number of limpers, your bluff bet must be LARGE...that is risky, but at least your image is in your favor.

3) you do key to the fact that a less than all in steal is pretty hope-less, so you pull the trigger for the correct amount to have any real chance of a steal working.

4) your opponents also should be "right", those who are likely to fold to your pressure. Per your read info, that may NOT be present here.

Added all together, this means the risk you took here is probably not QUITE what you want to do.

If you held a hand like T9s or JTs, this might be a better place to try a steal. with that sort of hand, even if you do get a weak call from the guy who is most likely to sheriff a shove, you are probably going to have decent equity.

Since you lack that sort of decent equity with a hand like 53o if you are called, this is not QUITE the spot for your bluff shove.

...it is getting close though, and you ARE starting to use more info bits that you should be using. Plus, it did work.

so good hand!

Hope it helps.

-JDean

thank you sir, i know this is a bad play for little chips that i can win,, next gonna do it with better hand

not gonna risk my tournament life with 53o next time

thank you for your praises

but if not for all of you teachers i'm not doing this.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com