Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

played this hand poorly-big11

Old
played this hand poorly-big11 - Sat Dec 17, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

can you teach me the proper way?

thank you

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 05:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: std raise and you get a caller, then the button raises (a bit of a weak raise on their part if they're trying a squeeze play) and I'm calling a weak raise like that and seeing what happens.

flop: 338 at least it's only 1 overcard to your low pair. The SB that 3-bet you pre checks.. says to me they probably have 2 overcards that missed. Instead of checking, I like making a value bet here. Most of the time with a flop like this the opps will have 2 overs that missed. I like making a value bet here (could also get one or the other of the opps out of the hand if you bet).
After the SB and you check.. if I'm the 3rd guy, I'm betting here whether I hit the flop or not... and just like their preflop play, it's a weak play (limp, call, weak bet is what you've seen from them). You called, which is ok. If you think the opp is on 2 over cards, you could also raise here and try to get them out of the pot.

turn: another 8 is not a good card for you. If the opp had 8x or 3x, you're crushed now. You checked, which is exactly what I'd have done.

river: the 7 isn't a horrible card for you. now 7x is ahead of you, but at least it wasn't an A or K (more likely the opp could have Ax or Kx). I don't like the 500 chip bet here. It's way too small of a lead compared to the size of the pot. If you're going to bet it, you really need to make a 50-75% of the pot bet, if not a pot-sized bet.
I'd rather check. Based on the play of the hand so far, you really don't know if your 66 is ahead or not. You do have some showdown value, but don't know if you've actually got the best hand. I'm checking, then if the opp makes a small bet, calling their bet. If they make a large bet, then I'm folding.

Something I did after going thru the hand was to pull the opp up on OPR (www.officialpokerrankings.com). They have way too many early tourney exits and a bad ROI, so that tells me that this particular opp is WAY too loose, too early in a tourney. After seeing what they showed down, I see why.
Remember the example of defending the blinds with any suited cards.... you're priced in more from the SB or BB to play any 2 suited, then you are from any other position (you get a slight discount on the chips you have to put in from the blinds since you have some chips already in the pot)......and you do not get the right odds from the blinds in most cases.
They were not even close to being priced in to call EITHER bet preflop, your raise or the SB's weak 3-bet.

Old
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
preflop: std raise and you get a caller, then the button raises (a bit of a weak raise on their part if they're trying a squeeze play) and I'm calling a weak raise like that and seeing what happens.

flop: 338 at least it's only 1 overcard to your low pair. The SB that 3-bet you pre checks.. says to me they probably have 2 overcards that missed. Instead of checking, I like making a value bet here. Most of the time with a flop like this the opps will have 2 overs that missed. I like making a value bet here (could also get one or the other of the opps out of the hand if you bet).
After the SB and you check.. if I'm the 3rd guy, I'm betting here whether I hit the flop or not... and just like their preflop play, it's a weak play (limp, call, weak bet is what you've seen from them). You called, which is ok. If you think the opp is on 2 over cards, you could also raise here and try to get them out of the pot.

turn: another 8 is not a good card for you. If the opp had 8x or 3x, you're crushed now. You checked, which is exactly what I'd have done.

river: the 7 isn't a horrible card for you. now 7x is ahead of you, but at least it wasn't an A or K (more likely the opp could have Ax or Kx). I don't like the 500 chip bet here. It's way too small of a lead compared to the size of the pot. If you're going to bet it, you really need to make a 50-75% of the pot bet, if not a pot-sized bet.
I'd rather check. Based on the play of the hand so far, you really don't know if your 66 is ahead or not. You do have some showdown value, but don't know if you've actually got the best hand. I'm checking, then if the opp makes a small bet, calling their bet. If they make a large bet, then I'm folding.

Something I did after going thru the hand was to pull the opp up on OPR (www.officialpokerrankings.com). They have way too many early tourney exits and a bad ROI, so that tells me that this particular opp is WAY too loose, too early in a tourney. After seeing what they showed down, I see why.
Remember the example of defending the blinds with any suited cards.... you're priced in more from the SB or BB to play any 2 suited, then you are from any other position (you get a slight discount on the chips you have to put in from the blinds since you have some chips already in the pot)......and you do not get the right odds from the blinds in most cases.
They were not even close to being priced in to call EITHER bet preflop, your raise or the SB's weak 3-bet.

lot to learn, poker is so complicated

im willing to learn i want to win

thank you for all the tools very helpful, first the pokerstove which im still learning the basics then this OPR,

good good another lessons learned which is basically i need to do

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com