Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

way too aggressive on this hand?

Old
way too aggressive on this hand? - Sun Dec 18, 2011, 04:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hello guys!

This hand took place in the Sunday million freeroll. I didn’t have much info on the opponent because I was constantly switching tables. I thought I was way ahead throughout the course of the hand until I realized I was slow played to a set. Bottom line is I think I under-played my hand the whole way and should’ve slowed down a bit to control the pot (especially since at this blind level, there’s a lot of shoving going on and ppl shove if they’ve got the goods or folds if they don’t, they rarely just call). Good play by the opponent at identifying my aggressiveness with TP2K to exploit it.

On the flop the guy was committed (SPR: .7), so if I check and he moves in, do I need to call him? Did I bet the flop too much?... and is calling PF with position also an option being a shortstack involved in the hand with no fold equity if the pot gets out of control? What would be the correct line to take if I were playing against a big stack?

I would love to hear how u guys would’ve played this hand against a shortstack and against a bigstack... thus avoiding drowning yourself with bets that should've ended on the flop in the first place.
Cheers!

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 04:44 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER RASCAL View Post
On the flop the guy was committed (SPR: .7), so if I check and he moves in, do I need to call him?
Absolutely. You have a monster hand given the size of the pot. With an SPR of 20, you'd have a somewhat pathetic hand to commit to, but with an SPR or less than 1, oftentimes ace-high is good enough.

I think that with as much money as you've put into the pot after your c-bet, it's really hard to ever fold even with only ace-high, because you're pot-committed as well. If an ace or a queen hadn't fallen on the flop and you'd c-bet and gotten jammed over by the bigger stack, what would you have done, after putting a third of your stack into the pot? An SPR of 2 is a pretty awkward one, because it makes c-betting your air really difficult. I would have played this hand one of two slightly different ways to help avoid that:

1) Just shove preflop when the action gets to you. Your hand is excellent, nobody has actually raised yet, and there's a massive amount of dead money to be had.

2) Raise bigger than you did, so the the SPR would be small enough to commit to ace high if you needed to.

As played, your only real mistake was an awkward preflop bet sizing. You played well post-flop, and just got unlucky.

Pika Pika!

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sun Dec 18, 2011 at 04:51 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: with 2 limpers, I'm raising more and making it 8k preflop

flop: you get the A, which is about as good as you can hope for. Since there are 2 opps in the hand instead of one, instead of betting 1/2 pot, I'd bet 2/3's. If you bet 2/3's, the opp that called probably shoves their rest here.

turn: get the other opp all-in. They're pot committed, so get the rest of their chips in the pot.. as you did.

I don't think you were too aggressive... honestly, I'm even being a little more aggressive. Unfortunately, the opp woke up with a monster.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com