Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Joker Tour 4

Old
Joker Tour 4 - Sun Dec 18, 2011, 02:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
OK here we are again folks

I would remind those who are reading this that I welcome comments and questions from everyone.

with that said

Here is 5 more consecutive hands as we near the midway point of our poker journey.

1st hand
I'm in the BB with an A rag so I limp in to hit the flop for the A.
I felt if I had bet bigger he would have folded so kept the bets small in hopes of building the pot up.
Faces had been sitting there with the small stack until now so I wasn't completely sure if I was ahead but was sure they weren't playing 52 for a straight.
? If I had placed a larger bet on the flop or turn would they of paid me off ?
? or would you stay course as I did to milk as many chips as I could ?

2nd hand
I felt the fold was good on the flop but it did hurt to watch.
? the 3200 bet from Popeye on the flop ( top pair with flush draw) is this excessive ?
? was he pricing me out ?

3rd hand
I raised the pot more than usual but FatBoy still calls it.
After the flop I was concerned about flush so kept the bet small and was called.
The turn didn't help this for now I'm worried about the flush and straight.
? Should I have c-bet the flop even though it was nasty ?

4th hand
I really didn't think I was ahead here since I was chasing a flush.
after checking the turn and Popeye checks the river to me I felt that he could be scared off the pot easily.
? when after the flop and everyone checked to me while we have 1800 in the pot should I have taken the checks as weakness and half pot bet the flop for 900 instead to get him off ?

5th hand
In this hand I have nothing and will be most likely told that I should have never played it.
Somewhat like the last hand the flop is checked all the way and the turn was checked to me.
? how different is this hand from the previous one ?
? should I have bet less (400) this time to get a caller or to see where I stand ?

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
(#2)
sorry about the mistake in the re-player
in hand 2
it doesn't show Popeye's shove for all in on the turn

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
The problem I have with hand one is your not protecting your hand against the draws that are on the board , anyone with a draw are getting good odds to draw out on you.

Also betting three streets the same amount is a sign of a weak hand and will possibly be raised by a knowledgeable opponent also its a min bet another sign of a weak hand, the play worked this time but I think it will get you into trouble more times than not.

I would lead out for half pot bet and see what my opponents do.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
The problem I have with hand one is your not protecting your hand against the draws that are on the board , anyone with a draw are getting good odds to draw out on you.

Also betting three streets the same amount is a sign of a weak hand and will possibly be raised by a knowledgeable opponent also its a min bet another sign of a weak hand, the play worked this time but I think it will get you into trouble more times than not.

I would lead out for half pot bet and see what my opponents do.
understandable

I wouldn't have been in the pot at all if I wasn't in a blind.
Most would have folded to the shorty with this hand because as I said they have been sitting there waiting for something.
A2o doesn't generally hold up well when faced with that "something".

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:15 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 1: preflop is fine, see a flop free with ace/rag. On the flop, you do have top pair with a rag kicker and I like that you lead out and bet, but I'd be betting more. You need to bet about 3/4 pot, to protect against the club draw. Same for turn, you need to bet enough to price out a flush draw.
Don't like any of the min bets... it invites opps to draw at you, when you can be easily beaten.

hand 2: liked the limp preflop and liked the fold on the flop. The opp was betting that much, to price out a flush or flush/straight combo draw.. and had to bet more than normal, due to how many are in the pot. You need to bet enough so that if all call, it doesn't price in the last player or 2 to act.

hand 3: raise more preflop, as you've got a limper before you. Raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, you only did 3BB total. Absolutely HATE calling the limp on the flop. You need to be raising here to get value and info on the opponent. By calling, you aren't getting value NOR info on the opponent. Same for the turn/river.
Honestly, it's your own fault for losing this hand! You let the opp get there on the river, by not raising the flop, turn or both.

hand 4: Q2s 4-handed. Calling's ok here, since you're in position. On the flop, you can either check or bet. If you bet, I HATE the limp. If you're going to bet, make it look like a value bet.
Checking the turn is fine and so is betting the river... BUT.. make the river bet look like a value bet, not a small weak bet that can get called.

hand 5: don't mind the limp here, with small connectors (ALTHOUGH, if you're changing the names on the opps from the tank in another thread, I've got yours.... LIMP-BOT). I like the check on the flop and I also really like the bet on the turn. The other two opps checked twice, so why not take a stab at the pot and see what happens. Also, like that you didn't min bet it, you put in 1/2 pot... but you really should have put in 2/3's to 3/4's due to there being multiple opps in the pot.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:25 PM
(#6)
good read JW

I'm beginning to think that this will be a good thing as I post these hands.
I really do need a good yelling at for the continuous limping.

hope to be able to get another in during the week.
take care

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com