Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Commentary: Browsing the Double Million

Old
Commentary: Browsing the Double Million - Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Since it's too late (a relative term) to actually play poker, I decide to give the big tourney a glance.

I notice that 'stars didn't quite make a million on it... but only $931'740 (by my advanced heuristic calculations, which consist of multiplying 62'116 entries by $15 - they don't take qualifiers and thingies into account, but I guess they pretty much even out). Tch. Almost made a million on the million on the Sunday.

As the list of players is not under 20K yet, by abusing the search functions, I learn that

Code:
I7AXA (Russia) Finished the tournament in 45052nd place   [OK]
which is good for trivia, I guess.

Randomly watching tables, I do get my theatre moment when this character walks in, complete with silly name and picture, from somewhere like Moldova, Macedonia or Mongolia (though it could have been Monaco, or Morocco, whatever), medium-small-stacked, goes all-in, gets called by better-stacked on some blind, shows AA, which get cracked by the turn by suited hopefuls like JQ, and walks out, leaving a trail of unreality to evaporate over the harsh reality of the blinds and antes of the next tough hand.

A few bold 3-bet-shove-up-yours-nose aggressive plays, mostly by eastern Europeans.

When the players' list becomes available, I see that gena77 from Germany is running 1st with a 227K stack.
Looking at the table I notice than gena77's pic looks like a bad Bollywood prop for the dumped fiancé in the record shop scene, but then (s)he promptly 3-bets a Chinese raiser out of a 120K pot and immediately after that ties a 46K one with AdQc against AcKd - both in mid-pos, share the blinds, no rake, everyone's happy -everyone except the blinds and the other guy, that is. He then proceeds to terrorise the table for the next twenty hands or so by raising anything out of all recognition and not getting called much at all, thereby boosting his stack to some 290K and a 6K lead over 2nd place Taiwan-man at some other table - let's watch him... hmm, let's watch some others. Hmm.

We're "down" to 13K players and it's not looking too good: there's 5 Germans in the first 6 places. But we have Spaniards in 12th and 36th, a few UK players lurking in the wings and no Dutchmen in sight, so it's not too bad I guess.

It's time for a break in the tourney, and I guess in the commentary, so since I wrote it, I'll publish it, maybe I'll write some more.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. D Zastr View Post
maybe I'll write some more.

please do

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Nice. Like your style........

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Me too; good reading!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Warning! Racist content - Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
(#5)
... but not too bad if you have a sense of humour I hope.

A Dutchman on the horizon! Reef the mainsail and open the gun ports (13th place).
A Spaniard is actually in 1st and a UK player in 2nd, the Germans are being held back at the trenches but the Iron Curtain Menace looms closer.
Asia-Pacific and the Americas don't seem to be doing too well for the moment.
Spot bombing by Scandinavians seems to be effectually countered by allied Swiss-Kazakh AntiArcraft showdowns... a Dutchman in 1st? I'll go watch that for a while.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
(#6)
The Flying Dutchman just called a short-stack all-in on JJ. He had QQ. Maintains 2nd position.
Quite a bit of chat in Double-Dutch with observers. 7926 players left at the break and the H4H bubble for paid places is at 7687. We're in for some bubble-trubble.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
(#7)
I have just noticed an Irishman is in second position; however, I have this underlying fear that he may well be out of his depth. The last four hands he has played have been all ins with his large stack, then lo and behold he makes a 2.2X raise UTG and gets the same result as the previous four hands. There may be hope for him yet!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:22 PM
(#8)
The bubble didn't take that long to burst, even though during the H4H I could hear curses drifting on the wind from all points. Everyone is now happy because they at least double their money. Well everyone except everyone else, and especially Muflones (Spain) , who is now the prime suspect for any massacre occurring in his area between now and never.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:26 PM
(#9)
Bubble comes and now they drop like flies. Happy with 500 bucks and no longer thinking about the big prize. Crazy idgets.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:30 PM
(#10)
It has turned into Donksville or else they all want to go to bed early

It reminds me of the old PSO League; Easy cashed, congrats man!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:31 PM
(#11)
It's the Battle of Amsterdam at the top table, against not-too-effective opposition from mainly British Spitfire raids and a couple of grinning South Americans.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
(#12)
They always get me with their grins the cunning so and so's!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:35 PM
(#13)
The tables now turn quickly as we have a multi-ethnic bunch of maniacs over the 500K chips mark.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
(#14)
The railing has also taken a strange turn for the worse although I am unsure of the ethnicity of the culprits, I fear many of them could be from my home town

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:44 PM
(#15)
At the pace this is going we could be down to the last 1000 before long; unfortunately the one Irish hope has frozen at the onslaught from the hordes and who can blame him

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:47 PM
(#16)
Rather than thinking about the possibility of life changing sums still ahead.........

I remember once being down to 400 chips in a tourney where the leader had thousands. I ended up on the final table. Never say die. Especially when looking at 2 million.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:47 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
The railing has also taken a strange turn for the worse although I am unsure of the ethnicity of the culprits, I fear many of them could be from my home town

Cheers,

TC
LMAO

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
(#18)
The 500K mark is now approaching the top 20, as we are now under 5000 players (your typical freeroll entry list) and everyone is tripling their entry fee.

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:51 PM
(#19)
My Irish tip just slow rolled with poker 5s on the flop but still did not stack off his opponent who had four barreled; amazing stuff!

Cheers,

Tc

Old
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#20)
Getting close to the 1M mark... who will be the first to break it?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com