Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Panicky's Goal Thread (Jan.-Feb.)

Old
Panicky's Goal Thread (Jan.-Feb.) - Mon Dec 19, 2011, 10:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
With a nod to Sandtrap, I'm going to start a goal thread of my own. I hate being tied down to lofty goals and overambitious plans, so I'm going to do this in two month installments. I want to finish what I commit to starting, and I might not do that if I try tackling a whole year at once. My overall hope, though, is to become a profiting poker player who continues to have fun playing the game. Since I'm studying SNG's at the moment, I figure I might as well make my goal about winning at SNG's. If this goes well, I'll continue with a March through April installment of my goals, too.

Main Goal

Become a solid, winning STT regular

-Hourly rate of $5/hour
-Four-tabling at least
-1,000 tournament sample size
-Before 2013

Step 1: Play

Master $7 Turbo STT's

-Six-table ~1000 games in January and February
-Play for at least three hours per day, five days per week, and six hours on Saturday
-Move up in stakes if I have at least 65 BI's

Step 2: Learn

Spend at least 10 hours per week intensively studying STT strategy

-Review my hand histories each weekend and look for leaks to plug
-Use PSO resources, including Live Training, the Library, and Pro Videos
-Read books and quality articles
-Do not study at times when I'm not focused and awake

Step 3: Focus

Keep my mind fresh so that I don't tilt or burn out

-Do not overextend myself; take a few days off when I need to (and I will)
-Do not play into the night when I'm tired and need sleep
-Spend time every day enjoying other hobbies, as well
-Remember that losing games doesn't mean I'm a bad player; it happens to everyone
-Have fun!

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Mon Jan 02, 2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 10:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
good plan dude

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#3)
Thanks. I just realized that if I can work my way up to a 10% ROI at the $7 knockout turbos, playing 250 games per week, that would net me $655 and would just fall short of making me a GoldStar every month. That's pretty sick.

This would actually be pretty worth it even if I need to commit a year to get there. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck on your goal and have a prosperous new year 2012.

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
GREAT goals Panicky
Keep us posted on your progress

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
(#6)
Thanks guys. I will post updates.

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:43 PM
(#7)
Update #1:

I'm up $20 (about 14 BI's) from $45 to $65 since I started this thread, and it's not even January yet.

If I get to $140 before January, I might have to start above than the $1.50 games. So... I might be halfway to my goal before I even start.

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
Good job
But don't forget, variance will show up at one point

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Three things:

1) Your goals look solid to me. Last go around you pushed too hard too fast, but pace looks more reasonable now. It isn't a bad idea to think about how long your goals should take, but a focus on bankroll and ROI/profits is good.

2) Do you know if anyone is showing a 10% or greater ROI at the $7 SnGs? Are you 100% certain it is possible? If so, exactly what skill level, in your opinion, is required to achieve those results?

3) I don't have time now, but I should have an awesome post coming up that contains a kickass cheatsheet I made for SnGs using the PSO course.

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
2) Do you know if anyone is showing a 10% or greater ROI at the $7 SnGs? Are you 100% certain it is possible? If so, exactly what skill level, in your opinion, is required to achieve those results?
I've read that in the turbos, a 5% ROI is definitely achievable, and a 10% ROI might be on the high end, but that was somewhat old info, and I think it was for higher stakes than the $7 games. I should probably do some more reasearch on that.

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#11)
$45 doubled up to $90. I've had a few disappointing streaks so far, but nothing more than five games or so. Still feels bad when it happens, though.

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 04:45 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...138#post320138

Link to a thread I made about the sit and go reference sheet. Hopefully you will find it useful Panicky, as well as everyone else here at PSO!

Very nice on the bankroll double up. Looking forward to where this takes you.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
(#13)
Up to about $124. Hitting a 60 game breakeven stretch, which sucks since I've only played about 160. These are mostly from the past three days.

Hmm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STT Winnings.JPG (50.3 KB, 17 views)

Old
Sun Dec 25, 2011, 07:39 AM
(#14)
I've finally hit $140 to move up to the $3.50 STT's. Let's hope they're no harder to beat than the $1.50 games. I think my game is a bit off, because for awhile I fell into a pattern of bubbling almost every game, and now I seem to be in a pattern of mincashing. I fixed my bubble strategy (I wasn't tightening up like I should have, and I was aggressing too much on the passive players who don't understand bubble play), but I'm obviously not totally amazing if I can't beat the $1.50's with ease. I'm thinking that in the new year, I might subscribe to a training site specializing in SNG play, so that can be where my 10 hours of study a week (or possibly more) come from.

Here's some info from HEM:

Games played (this week): 233
ITM: 53%
ROI: 18.5%
Winnings: $65
Time Played: 50.5 hours (a tad over my initial commitment to 20 hours)
Hourly Rate: $1.29 (about one-quarter where I want it to be)

I'm running 23/20/6, Agg:4.5, Agg%:21

I've mostly four-tabled, but I drop down to three, two, or one if I need to focus on one table in particular (e.g. during heads-up play). I have been putting in my study hours reading Moshman's Sit 'n Go Strategy, and watching Spacegravy's PSO videos. So far, I'm on track with my goals for the new year.

Edit: Forgot to mention, next stop is $280 for the $7 STT's, and my stoploss for $3.50 is $105. As a variance-reducing measure, I think I'll continue to play the $1.50's mixed in with the $3.50's for awhile until my roll picks up to $175 or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XmasGraph.JPG (46.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sun Dec 25, 2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 25, 2011, 08:29 AM
(#15)
Just played my first one to see what it'd be like. Went HU with an absolute luckbox drooler who got in with the worst of it and stacked at least three players holding premium pairs. I slaughtered him.

Old
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 07:26 AM
(#16)
Up to $200. Don't know why the graph says I'm only yp ~$120, since I started with $45 and haven't been playing much else.

I've been slacking on my study for the past few days, so I have to make sure I keep in the habit of doing it. I'm also finding that when I multitable, it's hard to keep grinding out a session rather than just four-tabling one block of games. I've had a pretty decent cold for about a week now though, so maybe that has something to do with my lack of endurance.

Halfway to $280 (give or take). If anyone has any info on the soft hours of the day, please let me know. Since BF, I don't know when that time of day is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec27.JPG (48.9 KB, 13 views)

Old
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 08:43 AM
(#17)
Hello PanickyPoker,

Congratulations on your performance in last week's Sit & Go Leader Boards. A cash prize of USD 50.00 has been credited to your account. This credit can be viewed under the History section on the PokerStars Cashier.

The final rankings for last week's competition can be viewed in the PokerStars client by selecting the 'Requests' menu, then 'Sit & Go Leader Boards'.

For finishing in the top 10 of the Leader Board, you have been issued with a ticket to the Battle of the Planets USD 50,000 Triple Shootout. The Battle of the Planets tournament takes place on the last Sunday of every month at 14:40 ET. The ticket is valid for any Battle of the Planets tournament.

If you have any questions regarding this promotion, please contact "PokerStars Support" <support@pokerstars.com>

Hello PanickyPoker,

Congratulations on your performance in last week's Sit & Go Leader Boards. A cash prize of USD 30.00 has been credited to your account. This credit can be viewed under the History section on the PokerStars Cashier.

The final rankings for last week's competition can be viewed in the PokerStars client by selecting the 'Requests' menu, then 'Sit & Go Leader Boards'.

For finishing in the top 10 of the Leader Board, you have been issued with a ticket to the Battle of the Planets USD 50,000 Triple Shootout. The Battle of the Planets tournament takes place on the last Sunday of every month at 14:40 ET. The ticket is valid for any Battle of the Planets tournament.

If you have any questions regarding this promotion, please contact "PokerStars Support" <support@pokerstars.com>

Up to $278, and I've picked up two tickets valued at no lower than $50 each. I'm having a good morning. I think I'll continue grinding the $3.50's until I hit $350 though... Not sure yet. I don't feel like I'm 100% ready for the $7 games, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. What do you guys think?

Old
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:51 PM
(#18)
Since: Nov 2007
Very impressive work Panicky, well done!

If you feel you are not ready yet for the $7 ST SnGs then just keep working away at the $3.50 tables. When you get to $350 you then have 10 buy ins to give the $7 tables a shot and can always drop down to 3.50 games if you go under $280.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:57 AM
(#19)
Since: Aug 2010
So far so good panicky

Need to make my own goals too

Good luck on your goals

One time big time

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:42 AM
(#20)
I tnink if your roll was ready, you would do fine on $11+ tourneys. But 7s for sure.. GL G, show em how its done!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com