Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

'gator's goals for 2012

Old
'gator's goals for 2012 - Mon Dec 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Poker Goals 2012

Yearly goals:
--I will keep a poker journal recording any interesting hands and opponents, as well as my own thoughts and feelings.

-- I will improve my ability to read opponents and expand my understanding of odds. I had an idea that playing Limit cash games might be a good place to start, and finding this post during my research clinched it:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Limit-Hold-em

--I will improve my self-analysis skills. I will do this through study- especially by making better use of the hand analysis forum.

--I will improve my focus. I will do this by limiting my play to times when I am least likely to be distracted and treating each decision with the time and attention it deserves.

--I will STUDY rather than read. I will do my best to APPLY what I have learned through STUDY.

--I would like to get more experience playing live and will make every effort to do that if my real life bankroll allows.

Cash games:Starting with a bank of $30, I will play .05/.10 Limit to start and move levels according to the following conditions:

Conditions for moving up: 10k+ hands with winrate at 3BB/100+ and 300BB bankroll for next level.
Conditions for moving down: bankroll reaches 150BB for current level.

Monthly, 1/2 of profits (if any) from cash play will go into a separate bank to be saved and used for purchase of poker books or software.

MTT's, SNG's: Starting with a bank of $0, I will play Astronomer freerolls, PSO league and FPP tourneys and build a bank to start playing micro MTT's and SNG's. When it looks like I will have the time and VPP's to make a serious run at the PSO premiere league, I will dedicate a month or two to get as far as I can in that pursuit.

Monthly goals:
---I will post numbers and graphs from the previous month in my "poker goals" forum thread.

--I will post in my blog about my progress on a more personal level. I will use my poker journal as a guide for writing this.

Weekly goals:
--I will devote 20-25 (~3:1 play:study) hours per week to poker related activities, and take one day per week away from all things poker to pursue my other interests.

--I will play ~1k hands of LHE.

--I will post hands in the hand analysis forum and spend some of my study time reading the analysis of other's hands in that forum.

--I will attend and participate in at least 1 live training session.

Last edited by Freckldgator; Sun Jan 01, 2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old
Mon Dec 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
GREAT goal Freck
Keep us posted and best of luck

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 12:27 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Minor changes to my goals regarding the PSO:

I had wanted to put off qualifying for the Premier league until I was able to acquire 150vpps/ month.
Now I think I will make a run for it sooner and try it out with 20. Not sure if this month is the month-I'll see how the first week or 2 goes.

I'm still starting my MTT/SNG bank at $0, but I'm bringing along a WR2 ticket, as well as 54.56 FPP's to use in those tourneys.

Happy 2012 everyone!!

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Very nice post, and like your goals for the year. I'm still thinking about mine, but like the idea of keeping better track of how I do in the various games. Good luck in your endeavors!!

Old
Update - Tue Jan 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Due mostly to the change in rewarding of VPP's, I have decided to alternate months of concentrating on either cash games or the PSO. I have thought this out and think that will be best for my bottom line. Rollin' with the changes, right?

The biggest change I see to my goals is in PSO months, I won't be getting in 1k hands a week cash.

I'm gonna try this for a month or four and see how it works.
January-PSO
February-cash

Also I will not be starting a blog.

Other than the above, things are going well. Studying more seriously is helping me and I'm getting a feel for limit. I'm having fun playing with the graphs in excel, even.

Update coming at the end of the month (if not sooner).

GL everyone!

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I think alternating is a great idea. I hope it goes well for you in both areas!

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:03 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
January was an interesting month...

Cash games:
2401 hands for a profit of $.86 A whopping .036BB/100. I earned a total of 20.52 VPP's in the process.

Feb. starting Cash Game Bank: $30.43 Book/Software bank: $.43

MTT's
I played nothing but freerolls this month and I managed to earn $5.81.

I played12 Astronomer's freerolls--no tickets, but did not use the one I brought with me from 2011, so still have that.

10 FPP buy-in Tourneys: Played 6, ITM in 2 for a total of $.80. I earned $.0133 per FPP

In the PSO, I finished 330th for $5.00 and earned $.01 for an 84th place finish.

Feb. MTT/STT bank = $5.81

I did not hit my mark as far as hands per week. I had overestimated both my ability to multi-table cash games, and my ability to play League tourneys and cash tables at the same time. I really suck at multi-tabling. I think I found some help for that online that I will try this month. For now ~500 hands per week is about all I can do at the cash tables.

The Astronomers I really struggled with. I would be doing really well, then fade about 1 1/2 hours in. This does not happen in other tourneys...maybe the reward is just not worth the time investment in my head. Working on that as well.

I also did not make any live training sessions. The computer I am on now just won't do graphics.

I only posted 1 hand for analysis, but did a lot of reading and studying in there. I did fairly well in the studying department using websites and my limited library of poker books. My greatest find of the month: A pristine copy of Super System 2 at the Value Village for $5. Jennifer Harmon's chapter on Limit is just what I needed!

For February I will carry on in LHE cash. I'm starting to get good notes on some people I see a lot. I will limit my multi-tabling as much as possible until I get a handle on it.

I will be playing the Premier League this month. With only 20 VPP's it won't be for the big $$, but I am looking forward to it. I feel like I might be able to learn something from it.

My MTT bankroll I intend to use for fun. Hopefully I will make some cash in the process, but I'm not going to be AS nitty with BR management with this. I intend to play some $.10 women's league games, $.25 SNG's and possibly a $1.10 MTT or satty along with my freerolls and FPP tourneys.

FPP tourneys will be fewer thanks to the change in the VPP accumulation. Might get 2 in this month.

Here's to a productive and FUN February!!

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
Congrats Freck

The important thing is that you are learning
Take time to include videos and do a bit of reading

Keep up the work and the upward trend

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 09:21 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the encouragement!
Reading is no problem.
Videos, on the other hand...

The computer I am on 90% of the time is an old laptop that was born in 2002-I can play poker (thankfully) and read forums and such, but no graphics to speak of!

I'll try to work in videos when I am on the better PC for sure, though!

Old
The ugly, the bad, and the almost kinda good - Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
The ugly:
I killed my laptop. Not on tilt, just on spaz. Tripped over the power cord and wrecked it-the cord, not sure about the laptop. Since we are back to a 1 computer family for a bit, that will have an impact on how much time I have to play. Bummer. Anyway, off to the February summary.

The bad: Cash games. 633 hands; -3BB/100.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not sure what my issues are with cash games. When I dropped $1.70 in 9 hands on the 22nd...I just stopped. I have not given up, I know I can get a handle on this. I am reading and studying and will return to playing soon.

The almost kinda good:

I started the year with $0, Feb.1 was $5.81 and on March 1 it is $26.85.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I started February with $5.81.
PSO Premier league accounted for $4.15:$16.89 is profit from SNG's and MTT's.

I enjoy the premier league and hope to stay there. I skated thru on that 1 win and only played 5 games total. It seemed to make the most sense as I was not likely to get above $2 with my 20VPP's. I'm sure I'll have to play more this month...no problem there.

I was much looser with BR management with this "free money"....still pretty tight though.
My buy-in's ranged from $.10-$2.20.
Total B/I for SNG's and MTT's = $21.60
$$ won= $38.49
Profit=$16.89
ROI= 78%

I'm going to continue on with the freebie roll...seems to be doing ok so far. It ain't broke...not fixin' it at this point.

Happy March everyone!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com