Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

im so tight folded QQ-big $11

Old
im so tight folded QQ-big $11 - Wed Dec 21, 2011, 05:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

yes, people you can call me a nit--I can accept that because folding QQ is such a nit player

reasons for folding:

opp#1 raises 4BB 2400 which is already sign of strength beause the normal raising size at this point is 1300-1500 and left himself behind for 4100, which he almost like to commit himself.

opp#2 3bet 5400 which is the perfect 3bet size in my opinion to get some value for KK and AA.
I don't know opp#2 because he just transeferred and I don't use HUD,

im just thinking opp#2 if he have JJ and any 2 pair below he don't want to see the flop i would just shove PRE but if I have QQ and up no problem let's see the flop

because the opp#1 have only 4100 left so he might call his last 4100 with his AK if he like to call

so me holding QQ, uses all the tool I know first opr which showed me opp#2 is a losing player and also uses my pokerstove

another reason for folding at this point is the fact that it is down to last 50players to bubble.

last reason is I still got 13bb's to play so I can steal and resteal considering the player to my right loves to steal.

and I know by folding here I can actually get my money back first then gamble after the money.

I know QQ is a chance for a double up but I learned my lessons a lot. I can't fell in love with my cards with a strong raise and a strong 3bet in front of me.I need to put myself in their situation first before risking my tournament life near the bubble.

I'm happy with my big fold only to prove that I'm learning now and I'm not making an instacall for my QQ. I'm evaluating first the action before me before risking my tournament life which is a good sign from me. If this was before this is a no brainer this is an ALL IN no doubt then writing here saying I made a mistake and didn't analyze the action first before risking my tournament life near the bubble. I'm not a kid in poker anymore. Now, I can say I'm a grown man. I'm correcting my leak little by little but still need a lot of improvement.

Even though we don't know his cards. I truly believe I'm almost 90% sure he's doing that with KK and AA. not AK and not JJ and any pair below. I can see it vividly.

How about our Great Teachers? What's your analysis?

**I made the money and this is my bust out hand which is more I like to risk my tournament life here:

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by marvinsytan; Wed Dec 21, 2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 06:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think you picked up on some key information here marvin, which is really good, as most players would not pick up on both of the key items.

For the QQ hand:
The first opp in, not only raised double the normal opening raise for this level, but also put 1/3 their stack in. If they know anything about committment points, then they are basically all-in here, because they'll have all their chips in either later preflop or by leading the flop.
Many players would not pick up on these two points, which are definitely critical information.
With a 10BB stack, this opp could easily push first, to maximize their fold equity. This opp did NOT do this, they raised just enough to make them committed to the pot. The opp here basically wants a call or raise and not for anyone to fold.

The second opp, that raised to 5400, 3-bets to try and isolate the initial raiser. They do two things here that are noteworthy.
1) they make a legal raise, which allows the initial raiser to shove
2) they do not over-shove. If the opp wasn't confident with thier hand, they'd shove too, to not only isolate the first opp, but get anyone else out of the pot, by maximizing their fold equity.
The 2nd opp should know that the original raiser is pot-committed and would only be making that type of raise (instead of a shove) with a premium hand. By not re-shoving, if this opp knows what they're doing, then their hand should have good equity against the first opp's premium hand.

With both of these plays before you (and 5 more to act behind you), is QQ worth putting your tourney life on the line, this close to the bubble? Yes, you want to be aggressive near the bubble, but with the ranges that the other opps are projecting (I'd say 10's+ or AK from the first opp and an even better hand from the 2nd opp), while QQ is a great hand, it doesn't play very well against TWO hands from this range.

I really like the fold here, unless, you absolutely need more chips to get ITM, which I don't think you do. You're better off getting a profit from the tourney, then gambling for the rest of your chips, in order to chip-up for a deeper run in the tourney.

Second hand:
You're after the bubble, so you've already got a profit from the tourney, so now your whole mindset is to chip-up to start moving up in cash levels.
You've got less than 6BB, so you're looking for a place to shove. With a call, min-raise and call of the min-raise, there are already more chips in the pot than you have in your stack.
With AJ here, I absolutely like the shove. It would be better if you were isolated against one opponent preflop, but I think there are too many chips in the pot not to shove here.

You got 2 callers, but if you win the hand, you go from 4762 chips to 17186 (almost 4X your chip count before the hand).
I'd expect one of the opps here to have some kind of pocket pair and the other to have another pocket pair or an A with a better kicker.... I'd hope for the two pocket pairs. You actually were in better shape here than normal, because while one opp had a pocket pair, the other had an ace with a worse kicker.. putting you ahead of that opp.
Unfortunately, the pocket pair held, but getting your chips in here was the correct play.

I think you made two very good plays here. Keep it up

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 07:05 PM
(#3)
Sir JWK24,

you know what I'm happy about my big fold because I'm right.

because after the bubble I respectfully ask for opp#2 what's his hand because I said I made a big fold and just for kicks I want to know what he is 3betting for 5400.

He gladly said- AA

I'm right and your right also to say that it's a great fold in this spot.

I just wrote this now just to know your honest opinion first.

As you said, That's all we can do as a poker player. Making the right decisions everytime and hope for the best.

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 07:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
don't always believe what others say in chat about hands.... they won't tell you the truth very often.

Keep making the correct decisions is all that ANY poker player should want If you do that, then the other things ($$$$) will follow.

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:07 PM
(#5)
your definitely right at this one

I'm a liar myself

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com