Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Is this a bad beat?

Old
Is this a bad beat? - Thu Dec 22, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
This donk did this to me to this with junk hands. I was having a shocking tourney and somehow scraped past the first points bubble, and with my first pocket pair (88) of the tourney (on the 63rd hand) I raised, he shoved with Q4, I called and he did not improve, getting my stack up to over 5K. About an orbit later, this happens:

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to more appropriate forum JWK24 ***

This is absolutely a bad beat (and a really bad steal attempt by the opponent).

You were a very large favorite when the chips went in, were an even larger favorite after the flop and were extremely unlucky on the turn/river.

Calling a shove with AQ here, especially if you have a history that the opp will shove light to try and steal is the correct play.

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for moving it to the correct forum, I noticed you'd had a re-arranging and couldn't find it. Now I know where it is.

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 12:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
there should be a link for a day in the old forum (linking to the new one).

Keep making the correct plays and you'll do fine playing. You will get unlucky beats, but remember one thing...... you won't ever get a bad beat, if you didn't make the correct play in the first place.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com