Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Mental Acuity

Old
Mental Acuity - Fri Dec 23, 2011, 03:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Looking for some advice here.

When I play my sessions, I usually find that my mind is a little foggy. I'm rarely clear-headed and mentally sharp at any time of day. I imagine that this drives my ROI down because my mind is easier overloaded with info, slower to make decisions, less able to recall memories of villain behaviour, and weaker at choosing the right course of action when it's my turn to make a play. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for clearing my head and sharpening my thought processes so that I play better.

The only thing that I find works so far is a short burst of intensive physical activity before I play. I think I'm particularly good at playing when I'm on a runner's high, but it's hard to get a runner's high when I'm sitting in a chair, so that doesn't exactly happen often.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 03:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Are any of these a problem.

Are you getting enough sleep and rest?

Are you refueling your body properly?
Drink plenty of water so you dont become dehydrated, eat protein in your meals not big meals full of carbohydrates.

Have you any eye sight problems ?
This could affect you.

You might want to check out some articles written by performance coach Jared Tendler, he coaches golfers and poker players Dusty Schmidt being on of them. Do an internet search on Jared and you will find lots of free info that may help.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 03:55 AM
(#3)
Cool. Thanks. I'll look him up.

I generally get eight hours of sleep per night, but I'm horrible at maintaining a consistent sleep cycle, which is why I post here at all hours on the clock. I do go out of my way to eat my fair share of protein, but my diet isn't perfect, so maybe I should work on that. Maybe I can focus more on drinking water, although I doubt that's a problem. No eye sight problems.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post

When I play my sessions, I usually find that my mind is a little foggy. I'm rarely clear-headed and mentally sharp at any time of day. I imagine that this drives my ROI down because my mind is easier overloaded with info, slower to make decisions, less able to recall memories of villain behaviour, and weaker at choosing the right course of action when it's my turn to make a play. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for clearing my head and sharpening my thought processes so that I play better.

The only thing that I find works so far is a short burst of intensive physical activity before I play. I think I'm particularly good at playing when I'm on a runner's high, but it's hard to get a runner's high when I'm sitting in a chair, so that doesn't exactly happen often.

Try getting 30min of exercise a day, it'll help boost your endurance mentally and phsyically!

Here is a basic workout routine:

1. 5 min stretching
2. 5 min of push ups
3. 10 min of situps
4. 5 min of jumping jacks
5. 5 min of high knees

As for your diet eat a lot of protein rich food, also include fruits, 8 glasses of water(minimum a day) and multi vitamins(centrum) in to your diet, this will help give you the extra energy that you need for your day at the virtual felt.

8 hours of sleep is vital for a poker player, if you are feeling tired and not up to par do not play poker as it could possibly have a negative effect towards your overall play.

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 07:40 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
I generally get eight hours of sleep per night, but I'm horrible at maintaining a consistent sleep cycle, which is why I post here at all hours on the clock.
That could be it right there. I know when I have done shift work in the past, there were large periods of my life when I NEVER felt rested no matter how much sleep I got.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 07:49 AM
(#6)
@Cannon - I'll focus on the fruit, protein, water, and exercise plan and see how it goes. I already take Centrum, so that base is covered.

@Freckldgator - That's good to know. I'll stick to a sleep schedule over the next week and see how that goes. From what you said, this sounds like the likely cause of my problem.

I just figured I'd ask this because when I realized I've been mentally sluggish lately, I figured any improvement to my mind should increase the quality of my play. Hope this works!

Thanks!

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
I find that if I carb up b4 playing I have plenty of energy, (your body turns carbs into sugars that it uses for energy) then I snack on a good quality trail mix while playing keeps me energized and focused.. And they say that how much sleep you get, above all other determining factors,determins how long you'll live. 8-10 hrs. A day min. I thought that was very interesting when I heard it. Guess i'm dyin' young...

Last edited by mtnestegg; Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
The water is a great idea. I always had a glass of water by me when playing a session.

Not sure why everybody is saying to have a protien rich diet to play poker. I know some people call it a sport, but lol. Personally, I would avoid simple carbs before playing a session. You could try to limit simple carbs in general. I find I can think more clearly when avoiding them. That said, I like mtnestegg advice still. A snack bar might give a nice energy boost. Don't forget about your veggies too man!

I just got a book called 'The Zen Of Poker'. It seems to deal with a lot of the mental and metagame aspects of poker. Will post anything interesting I find regarding mental states. It is actually the reason I bought it. After playing live a few weeks ago I am concerned about how I was misreably unable to maintain a clear head.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Not sure why everybody is saying to have a protien rich diet to play poker. I know some people call it a sport, but lol.
lol

Will look forward to some zen info, then.

Very interesting, the whole sleep thing... I hadn't heard that it was that closely linked to death.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:

Tread mill with a laptop is my suggestion

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:32 PM
(#11)
Genius. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that.

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:10 AM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2010
I find certain non-prescription herbs help my concentration.

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:25 AM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
When I was trying to finish those 20 games in a week last week for the BOTP (I don't multitable well ), when I started to get a little fatigued, I started to notice it manifesting in terms of like impatience.

So i came up with this little list of instructions for myself ... kind of like I'm doing the thinking for myself ahead of time, in case I zone out in the moment sort of a deal? My instructions to myself sort of go like this:

Quote:
1. So you finally got a hand (pre or post-flop) - and somebody reraises
- stop and think - start with the hands that have you beat before you shove (because sometimes it might be harder to range if you're tired, and if you're excited to have a hand, etc)

2. Tone down the 'fancy' - if you make a hand, just raise to price people out, bank the chips and call it a day (because sometimes you might miss that 36K may have just gave somebody an open-ender)

3. Be extra careful of the people who slowplay (because if you forget and just blindly value bet your TPTK, it'll put your stack in a bad spot if you're forced to either call a reraise or fold)

4. Identify the people most likely to fold to a shove early on, so that if you become short, you don't wind up feeling like shoving into a pre-flop raiser with the first semi-decent hand you get is your only option.

Etc
I try to read through the list before I play, and then during a lull in the game ... but I still sometimes kind of zone out. Maybe I need to try eating that ham sandwich on the treadmill with the window open as well

Work in progress ... still experimenting too

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:59 PM
(#14)
Since: Apr 2011
As others has said diet, is important, B (1,2,3,6,12) vitamins, more B3,B6,B12 help with brain function & health as well as Vitamin C, iron (protein's) , magnesium, manganese (Important for health of brain and nervous system, and helps body to eliminate waste and toxins) & Zinc is very important for males (and there 2nd head/brain lol)

Stay Healthy by Supplying Whats Lacking in Your Diet
By David Coory
This book has been put together for New Zealanders by a New Zealander. The vital facts you will find in the pages ahead in plain simple language, are the results of the best medical research available to date. Theories and opinions have been avoided unless suppported by years of first hand experience. You will almost certainly discover from the food tables that your present diet is not giving you the full recommended amounts of some important vitamins and minerals essential for your life-long health. These same food tables show you which foods or supplements you can add to your diet to provide these missing nutrients. *Good condition - Pub.

(tried to find website but not found yet, be a lot other sites with Info though)
I read this book, very good read on Nutrition, and what foods( vitamins / minerals ), etc, u can get if your body's lacking in them. As most medical problems is diet, or lack of foods( vitamins / minerals )
all the best HAPPY NEW YEARS hicup

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com