Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

What could i have done better?

Old
What could i have done better? - Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011

Did i do something wrong or thats just the way it goes sometimes?

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I'd say that's the way it goes sometimes. I think you played it well. No need to risk over 100bb preflop when he'll only call you with a stronger range than AK can handle if you 4bet him. And when you don't hit, there's no need to get fancy and assume he's bluffing and call or raise him.

I like it.

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:05 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Pre flop, your open raise oop is a very standard amount.

When the villain 3bets you form the BB, with positional advantage throughout the hand this is perfectly fine to flat.

An additional benefit of a flat here is that you set up a beneficial stack to pot ratio of right around 4 going to the flop. This is good for you as a hit on your AK is going to result in you holding a top/top hand, and a low SPR makes it easier to commit on that sort of hand if the villain C-Bets or even jams.

Unfortunately, with any un-paired cards you will miss the flop about 2/3rds of the time. While a flat call to fit or fold pre flop is fine, facing an opponent this aggressive in the hand with what would be at best a 6 out semi bluff most of the time is too hazardous to your stack without a VERY specific read on the Villain.

That means with a flop miss, getting out is a good thing to do before you lose even more.

So your play here looks just fine to me, and you have to accept that a good portion of the time a miss will happen and you'll have to fold.

Good hand.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 10:21 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
You have invested more than 10% of your stack preflop with AK. AK is a good hand, but it is a drawing hand, especially in this spot. You should try to have a plan when you invest this much of your stack. There are some good videos here on commitment desicions (by TheLangolier) that I'm sure you will find valuable.

You haven't given us very much information regarding your play, or the play of your opponent. Is he loose? Is he tight? Has he been losing and is he now maybe tilting? This kind of information should make your commitment decisions easier.

Also, this information may make you consider min raising, or making it only 3x instead of 4x. Because if he has been very aggressive in reraising a lot, a open raise to 3x allows you to see the flop for less. In this case, if you'd made it .06 to go instead of .08, his reraise would have been to a happier amount, to around .20 instead of the .26. You could have invested less than 10% of your stack instead of more then 10%...

Folding after you have invested 10% of your stack is not something you want to do too often.

But in this hand, without any information as to how your opponent or how you yourself are playing, I would say that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 11:10 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I agree, without reads flatting is the optimal way to play this, and when you miss the flop folding is fine. With more information that could change of course.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
Thanks guys

Thanks for your thoughts on the hand. I cant say i remember how the villain was playing prior to this or anything. Thanks rule110 i agree i should have bet 3x rather then 4x. The reason i bet 4x is i usually do when im in early position just to put a little more pressure on anyone that thinks about calling.

Looking back on it im thinking he was a total maniac or had Q's, K's, or A's. Probably was not a maniac seeing as when people bet big at these stakes it usually means they have a hand. But maybe thats just what i would like to think so that it would seem that my fold was good, who knows :P.

See you at the tables

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:59 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
yes I would say you played it correctly

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com