Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1usd /45 sng, checking a flush from early position..

Old
Mon Dec 26, 2011, 07:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to appropriate forum JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 26, 2011, 07:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: you're in the BB with suited rags and check to see the flop for free, which is absolutely the correct play here.

flop: you flop about the best you could hope for, a flush. You get a small bet and a call before you and you make a pot-sized raise. Like that you raised and like the size of it. The lead better calls, which is not surprising, as that's the opp that you would most likely expect to call. I'd be putting the opp on an A, big heart, Q, KJ, K10, J10 or 22. They could have a higher flush, but if they had that, I'd expect them to 3-bet you here (to protect against a single larger heart).

turn: the turn pairs the board, which is not what you really want to see, becuase it puts possible full houses out there and if the opp has one, you're drawing dead. Leading here is definitely the way to go. If you check, the opp can rep the full house whether they have it or not and drive you out of the hand. Yes, the opp could raise you, but making a value bet here is the best option.

river: turn is another card that is not great for you, it does make a broadway straight for J10 (that you can beat), but puts another possible full house combo out there, as KQ is definitely in the opp's range.
Instead of shoving (which will severely limit the opp's calling range), I'm making a value bet on the river in the 900 chip range. If the opp raises over you, so be it, and call it.
This opp made a very bad call here, as they should have mucked on the river. 2 pair isn't going to win this hand very often (beat by trips, straight, flush, full house), so they should be folding here. An opp that calls your shove will be beating you almost every single time with either a larger flush or more likely a full house.

Also, you do not want to slow play a flopped low flush here because if you do and another heart hits, you only have a 9, so there is a good chance you may not have the best hand here. If you had the nut flush, then you can look to slowplay it a bit more, but only do that with the nut flush and not a smaller one.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Mon Dec 26, 2011, 06:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
The option to bet value on turn and not shove.

If the opposition raises when can I call, technically i think betting value at the turn would make it a bet fold if someone comes over me on the turn, but im sure in a lot of cases at this limit they are still beat with this line of play more than having me beat. I think because they are stupid, that with only a 3x bet and flat on the flop I can rule out them being higher level thinkers 90% of the time, who want to hand the players on the left. imo at this limit I would still be ahead even with the repeated board 3/4 of the time, so value bet would have to be bet fold but closer to potsised at the turn. I hate folding there.

At the river making a crying call, although he may slow play me with a) higher flush, b) repeaderd board/ catch river for book, c) made book on turn with flopped set/two pair holding the Q. how can i make this line of play and ever finish up with only calls, and almost certainly have to make the crying call so much of the time only to see myself beat?

Im just confused.
I'm also confused at this.

can't understand

what do you mean at the river making a crying call? /// then almost certainly have to make the crying call so much of the time only to see myself beat

please elaborate

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com