Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Joker Tour 5

Old
Joker Tour 5 - Mon Dec 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
This is the last of the middle of this game so next we will be heading towards the end. (52 hands left after last table here)

1st hand
Don't have much to ask of this but felt it was important to the conclusion of this game.
Popeye was tight and aggressive but unfortunately for him this was a bad spot to make his stand.

2nd hand
Was my 3x BB bet pre a good decision? I'm somewhat of a flip flopper when it comes to mid pocket pairs. In hindsight the post flop bet to me seems a bit over the top but garnered the results I was looking for. Any thoughts of whether a BB bet would have been suffice here?

3rd hand
This hand is immediately after the 2nd hand. Once again with hindsight being 20/20 I can only assume that Rat was chasing a flush with most likely a suited rag A.
The question I have for this hand is should I have bet less after the river in hopes of getting a few more chips off of him?

4th hand
Should I have bet more post flop with mid-pair? What could Rat of been chasing here or could he have had a low pocket pair?

5th hand
Somewhat like the 1st hand the player raises to almost half their stack. Am I correct to take this as a sign of a bluff or weak holding?

Last edited by joker41673; Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old
Mon Dec 26, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#2)
1st hand

Pre: you made a good 3bet size considering his stacks size, because he made a big raise which basically made him almost pot committed and your 3bet raise size is the best size to make him go all in.

I love this play. Good hand.

2nd hand

PRE: I think 3BB is the best way to go here considering UTG already limped and you want the blinds to get out already so that you can get head's up with the limper or win the pot right there.

if your going to bet 2BB only small blind might want to see the flop and your going 4 way with your middle pp which is not a good spot for you

postflop: The flop you want to see as there were no overcards. It's a good bet and they folded you won the pot risk free.

Again. Good Job.

3rd hand.

PRE: I don't like the limp with QTo. What you will do here postflop with 3 to 4 players assuming the small blind also comes to see the flop. If you have information that Fatboy is limping light and you want to play this hand in position I say I will raise here 2400 just to isolate Fatboy and hope that the blinds will get out of the way. Then take the pot postflop. That's the best line of play here.

Never limp in middle stages of the tournament. Don't put dead money in there. Teachers always say that to us.

You have 35+BB. You can be aggressive and attack the limpers.

Don't be the limper be the one who attack the limpers. This is the best way to accumulate chips risk free. They just want to see the flop and they will surely give up after the flop.

let's go back to your play. you already limped you hit TP both players checked you bet 1600 which is the perfect bet and the BB called.

Turn: 7 good card for you again a good bet if you consider him on a draw.

River: 5 not really good card for you because a straight draw is complete. opp check I think I like to check here because I don't like to get check raise All in and put me in a bad situation. you just have TP with Mid kicker so you don't need to make the pot big. With medicocre hand you must be satisfied with a small pot.

hand #4

PRE: your in the BB, it's ok to check here but if Rat is always limping why not steal his limp by raising 3BB, then take the pot away from him postflop.

you check which is also ok, then you hit MP but the problem here you bet 800 on a 2000 pot If I'm rat I'm going to 3bet you here cause your giving me a weak bet. Gay bet means weak hand just like you have MP no kicker at all and no draw.

Teacher told me if your going to tell a story make it believable. Here your telling a story which seems like a fairy tale. How can you have a strong hand. First your in the BB, your just here for free, 2nd your bet is so weak. This is Fairy tale. I will never believe your story that you got a strong hand.

Turn: the same weak bet means weak hand. Good for you your opp didn't get the story your telling here. 800 on a 3600 pot if your not having a monster hand I don't like the bet. This is not acceptable.

River: 800 on a 5200 pot. and your opp made the worst move if he floated 2 weak bet I'm going to 3bet you right here.This is the best way to get all the chips. Look at the scenario what will you do if i 3bet you here for 4000 which rat can do because he have chips. You will surely fold and you just wasted your chips.If your going to bet just bet hard and make yourself look strong that is enough to make them fold.

5th hand

PRE: I think you just have to get it all in AJ BTN against the CO with just 8 BB who might stealing. You need to put him All In right away no need to see the flop. Your losing a lot of value. Your opp already made a mistake by not pushing all in right away with just 8 BB.

in those 5 hands you are a lucky man you always seem to connect with the board and your opp seems to be kind enough to pay you off even with marginal hands. You need correct plays and luck in poker. Our Teacher told me as a poker player the only thing you can do is make the correct play in any given situation and if variance has other plan for you we can't blame ourselves for it.

****Note: I'm also a student I just want to know what are the problems of others so that I'll know what to do if I'm put in those situation such as yours. I'm not a professional hand analyzer. Please don't take me seriously. Our great Teachers are the best in the business. We should listen to them.

Last edited by marvinsytan; Tue Dec 27, 2011 at 02:22 AM..

Old
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 07:05 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
3rd hand.

PRE: I don't like the limp with QTo. What you will do here postflop with 3 to 4 players assuming the small blind also comes to see the flop. If you have information that Fatboy is limping light and you want to play this hand in position I say I will raise here 2400 just to isolate Fatboy and hope that the blinds will get out of the way. Then take the pot postflop. That's the best line of play here.
One of the key factors here is the 2nd hand. I had just won after raising pre followed by a half pot post flop bet. While playing tourneys I try to keep mixing up my aggression and passiveness in an attempt to confuse the other players. The less confirmed information you can get from my actions gives me an advantage in my opinion.

Never limp in middle stages of the tournament. Don't put dead money in there. Teachers always say that to us.

You have 35+BB. You can be aggressive and attack the limpers.

Don't be the limper be the one who attack the limpers. This is the best way to accumulate chips risk free. They just want to see the flop and they will surely give up after the flop.

let's go back to your play. you already limped you hit TP both players checked you bet 1600 which is the perfect bet and the BB called.

Turn: 7 good card for you again a good bet if you consider him on a draw.

River: 5 not really good card for you because a straight draw is complete. opp check I think I like to check here because I don't like to get check raise All in and put me in a bad situation. you just have TP with Mid kicker so you don't need to make the pot big. With medicocre hand you must be satisfied with a small pot.
I didn't put my opponent on the str8 draw because of the post flop call he made to my bet. Very unlikely that he was placing his chips for a two outer but hey we've all seen worse right?

hand #4

PRE: your in the BB, it's ok to check here but if Rat is always limping why not steal his limp by raising 3BB, then take the pot away from him postflop.
Rat was proving himself to be a good call station so I wanted to give him the impression that he was ahead even if he didn't catch the flop.

you check which is also ok, then you hit MP but the problem here you bet 800 on a 2000 pot If I'm rat I'm going to 3bet you here cause your giving me a weak bet. Gay bet means weak hand just like you have MP no kicker at all and no draw.
That was what I was hoping for was an indication of a stronger hand so I can let this go before it became costly.

Teacher told me if your going to tell a story make it believable. Here your telling a story which seems like a fairy tale. How can you have a strong hand. First your in the BB, your just here for free, 2nd your bet is so weak. This is Fairy tale. I will never believe your story that you got a strong hand.

Turn: the same weak bet means weak hand. Good for you your opp didn't get the story your telling here. 800 on a 3600 pot if your not having a monster hand I don't like the bet. This is not acceptable.

River: 800 on a 5200 pot. and your opp made the worst move if he floated 2 weak bet I'm going to 3bet you right here.This is the best way to get all the chips. Look at the scenario what will you do if i 3bet you here for 4000 which rat can do because he have chips. You will surely fold and you just wasted your chips.If your going to bet just bet hard and make yourself look strong that is enough to make them fold.
You are spot on here. This should have easily been a half pot bet and I'll have to keep a look out for this in my future tourneys.

5th hand

PRE: I think you just have to get it all in AJ BTN against the CO with just 8 BB who might stealing. You need to put him All In right away no need to see the flop. Your losing a lot of value. Your opp already made a mistake by not pushing all in right away with just 8 BB.
This confuses me because if the mistake was his for not going all-in pre then why not protect my stack and see the flop to get an indication of my strength before claiming the rest of his chips.

in those 5 hands you are a lucky man you always seem to connect with the board and your opp seems to be kind enough to pay you off even with marginal hands. You need correct plays and luck in poker. Our Teacher told me as a poker player the only thing you can do is make the correct play in any given situation and if variance has other plan for you we can't blame ourselves for it.

****Note: I'm also a student I just want to know what are the problems of others so that I'll know what to do if I'm put in those situation such as yours. I'm not a professional hand analyzer. Please don't take me seriously. Our great Teachers are the best in the business. We should listen to them.
We are all students of poker, even the trainers can find new things to learn and varying ways to interpret the limited info given in online games. It seems from your response that you haven't read the other posts of this tourney and would invite you to. There you can gain more info on the players involved. There should only be 2-3 more of these and I'll conclude them.

I felt that displaying hands from a single tourney and progress from the early-mid-late to final table is a good way to discuss adjustments that could be made to one's game. I know that I made a lot of mistakes throughout and got lucky a few more times than normal which is why I'm here posting.

To be quite honest here I don't even know what to be looking for when it comes to leaks. I've heard a few mentioned but have very little practice with actually spotting them.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 1: I actually don't like the 3-bet here. It's too small, make it enough to get the opp in and put the pressure on them.

hand 2: There's 2 ways to play this preflop, either to limp or raise. If you're going to raise, I'd have made it 2800, my std raise for this level. You need to make the raise to your std, so if 2400 is your std for this level, then it's ok.
You flop 3 unders (unusual for 88). When the two opps check to you, I'm absolutely making a value bet here and 1/2 pot seems about right (if there was a flush draw and 2 opps, I'd have raised more).

hand 3: you can limp here, as you've got position, but you could also raise here preflop too. Another one, with top pair and a mediocre kicker, I'm definitely value betting the flop when it's checked to me.
I like that you value betted the turn and with only one opp, 1/2 pot works to make a flush draw -EV for the opp. Also like the value bet on the river.

hand 4: checking pre is perfectly fine here with suited rags. On the flop, if you're going to lead out, you really need to make a std value bet. You value bet a higher % on the last 2 hands, so keep the % of the pot the same... to conceal your hand. When you change it up like this, it looks fishy. Same thing for the turn. The small bet on the turn looks fishy compared to the other 2 hands. Same thing for the river. It's a good thing they didn't call that and make you show, because your table image would have been shot.

hand 5: raising 1/2 their stack commits them to the pot. If you're going to play it, push them all in now, if not, then fold. I do NOT like the call here at all. The best play is to over-shove. That way anyone else that wants to get involved would also be risking their entire stack. Make the opp put the rest in before they can see if they hit something.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com