Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

oops

Old
oops - Mon Dec 26, 2011, 08:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

Nice to be on the other side off a bad beat for a change.

Old
Mon Dec 26, 2011, 08:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
**moved**

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: I'd have raised more to open (although after seeing the hand it wouldn't have mattered), as my std would have been to 2.5BB or 750. You then get a light 3-bet and a call (one of them, if not both are most likely ahead of you). You've got enough in the pot now that you might as well see the flop. You do have a hand with potential, even if it's probably behind now.

flop: I REALLY don't like the check here. If you're going to check top pair after this type of preflop action, then muck it to the 3-bet preflop, as it says to me that you didn't want to be in the hand in the first place. You may be ahead, may be behind and the opps could have a monster draw, so you need to be value betting here by leading, not letting the other opps control the action. If you value bet and get a raise and a re-raise, then you know that someone is on a royal draw (maybe even OE striaght flush/royal draw), has a set or an over pair..... if you bet and they both raise, you know you're not ahead and can much now.
If you're going to stay in the hand, then you need to shove (as you did), but in this situation against 2 opponents, KQ won't be ahead here very often.

As you said though, it's always good to be on the right side of one of these every so often.... but it also means that you didn't get your chips in good.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com