Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

JJ in bb, v's 87o ug+1 limper.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I would have only called preflop, but you definitely did not raise enough on the flop. You basically bet t45 in a pot of about t420. You need to charge more on every street. A one-pair hand is easy to outdraw, so if you bet small and price in your opponents, then they're correct to call, and you're theoretically losing money, because you're not allowing your opponents to make mistakes.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
River is a check/call imo. Or just a shove if you bet bigger to begin with and had little left behind.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: you get a min-raise, then a caller. With JJ, you can either call or 3-bet and really either can be the correct play. HOWEVER, if you 3-bet, you really need to be raising to about 200. The real small raise isn't really going to accomplish anything here and you want to have a marginal hand fold.

flop: with 330 in the pot, the initial min raiser min bets again. You really need to be making a value bet here to be sure to price out a straight draw or a flush draw (or if someone has a set or more problematic A2 for a straight, you should see a re-raise). You need to be raising to at least 250, if not even making a pot sized raise to 360. Raising to 75 doesn't accomplish anything, because even with a gutshot draw, you're pricing in the opponents, let alone a flush draw. If they have something like that, you want to give them a reason to get out of the hand (or make it a large -EV play for them to stay).

turn: the turn card misses. You need to make another value bet that will price out the opp for draws. It also needs to be in the 1/2 to 3/4 pot size to do this, since there are 2 opps.

river: the board pairs and completes the heart flush. I do NOT like the lead bet here at all. By betting passively (not pricing out draws), you could easily be beat and you have absolutely no clue as to whether or not you have the best hand. A check here is the best play and if the opp shoves (they already should have had their chips in if you bet more earlier, which would be the correct play), it's gotta be a fold.

This is exactly the scenario that I mentioned in the previous analysis. You played the hand to passively, let the opp have drawing odds and got drawn out on. If you keep playing these types of hands this passively, it will keep happening over and over to you.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:09 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post

I may still get it wrong for a little but i will make some adjustments to correct my pre and post flop aggresion and bet sizing. cheers.

The key is to be learning from every situation that you're in. If you keep doing this, you'll be a better player over time and that's what we all want to have happen for each and every one of us.... that is... unless you're sitting at my table.. LOL.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com