Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

TT on button, bluff catching c/o and c/o-1

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Without reads, I don't like calling down here, although I will play it like you did against the right villains (if they have a high Agg% and seem spewy at all). The reason I don't like the calldown is the turn bet. The villain goes from betting 33% of the pot to betting 60% of the pot, and right after a board three-flush completed. The upsizing is usually a bad sign, and even if you're ahead on the turn, you could still lose on the river.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think you got really lucky on this one.

preflop: since the opp std raised, it's fine to call and see the flop.

flop: With a pair on the board the opp that raised preflop makes a weak lead (33% of pot). If I were playing the hand, I'm raising right here. You'll then know where you're at in the hand by what the opponent does.

If the opp calls the flop, then you can bet or check behind on the turn if they check, or if they lead out again, you're most likely beat by a Q or JJ, KK, AA.

By calling down the entire hand, you have absolutely no clue whether you're ahead and should raise or to fold. You got extremely lucky here and if you continue to not take the initiative in hands and play passively, you're going to have opps continually drawing out on you, which is a losing long-term proposition.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you're playing a number of tables, I agree. Try playing a few less of them at a time and concentrating more on them (also be taking notes, as you'll see these players over and over and every little bit of information about the opps helps).

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'll make notes on any players that show ace/rag, or players that play any 2 suited, along with who the calling stations or maniacs are. Then later in the tourney, I'll start noting who plays passive/aggressive or sandbags big hands.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
sandbag = slowplays the nuts and won't bet it until the river.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:11 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
And def. note the limp folders, EP raise folders, as well as blind defenders (and not) also i'll note players that continuation bet then give up(when they miss) when called, as all of these tendencies are pretty liberaly expoitable. This with what others have put should help get you started in the right direction. GL out there.. MT

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Ya, screw the chat! Just keeo all tables on NOTES, click an avatar, and start typin'...abreviations are your friend...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com