Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AA sb 1st hand, board 7TT7.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
This is a pretty lame turn for you. Not because you're behind, because you're not. But because all the hands that were okay giving you some action on the flop are all scared to be drawing dead. Flop call after check/calling preflop looks like 88/99/98 and maybe some other pocket pairs. Probably best to check the turn and hope to maybe get some extra value from 99 on the river. Betting is fine too, but shoving isn't getting called by much worse (particularly since he can't have QQ/KK with this action)

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree. This is a bad turn card for you.

preflop: fine with good bet sizing

flop: you made a 1/2 pot value bet. You might have been able to get a bit more out of it with 2 opps in the hand (3/4 pot), but you got one opp to drop, which is a good thing, as AA plays better against one hand than two. The opp did not re-raise you, so I lessen the chance they have a 10, but a 10 is still in thier range.

turn: the board now has 2 pair. A caller to the flop bet will have either a straight draw, 10 or 7. Any 10 or 7 now has your AA crushed and the straight draws are going to be scared that they are drawing dead to a full house.
I don't like the shove here at all. A straight draw or pkt pair will not call it, while a 7 or 10 will. The only way this bet gets called is if you lose and I don't want all my chips being in the pot when I don't know if I have the best hand or not.
I'd either make a value bet of about 400 or check (hoping the river hits a straight draw).

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When you shove, the only hands that can call you are a 7, 10 or Ax (with an initial kicker that would have beat you if it played).
The opps will not be calling with anything worse than your hand here.

I'm NEVER making a crying call to maybe, at best, get 1/2 the pot.

If you are left with 500 chips from folding, you have 25BB.... which is PLENTY of chips to play with at this level.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi Imjigjig

I want to see your problem because I want to learn from other members problem hand but the moment i saw all the letters and numbers there just can't seem to concentrate

can you use your hand replayer?

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 10:37 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
Good hands early in a tourney = doomed

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com