Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Did I play my draws well?

Old
Did I play my draws well? - Wed Dec 28, 2011, 03:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

Was it the right move to flat call in position and to play the draws aggressively on flop?

Cheers

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
No, I think you should have 3b all in on the flop.

The guy is probably not folding I assume since he just check-raised more than half his stack, so your 3b shove is not a semi-bluff (there is no bluff component if he won't fold, in reality he may fold a small % of the time but it's probably minimal).

But you should 3B all in for value. You're in good equity shape vs his range with your combo draw.

If you just flat the check/raise, and he shoves the turn as we'd expect him to, you'll be getting better than 4-1 to call the turn shove based on the size of the pot and his shove size... you're not that big a dog with your combo draw so you have to call the turn as well. But if you get there and it scares him, he might find a fold with the weaker parts of his range on the turn. Since YOU have to play for stacks on the turn no matter what, make sure HE also has to... the only way to do that with 100% certainty is to get his stack in right on the flop before any potentially scary cards appear to give him cold feet. So by 3-betting all in right on the flop you maximize vs. his range by ensuring he can never get away when you get there.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 11:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
No, I think you should have 3b all in on the flop.

The guy is probably not folding I assume since he just check-raised more than half his stack, so your 3b shove is not a semi-bluff (there is no bluff component if he won't fold, in reality he may fold a small % of the time but it's probably minimal).

But you should 3B all in for value. You're in good equity shape vs his range with your combo draw.

If you just flat the check/raise, and he shoves the turn as we'd expect him to, you'll be getting better than 4-1 to call the turn shove based on the size of the pot and his shove size... you're not that big a dog with your combo draw so you have to call the turn as well. But if you get there and it scares him, he might find a fold with the weaker parts of his range on the turn. Since YOU have to play for stacks on the turn no matter what, make sure HE also has to... the only way to do that with 100% certainty is to get his stack in right on the flop before any potentially scary cards appear to give him cold feet. So by 3-betting all in right on the flop you maximize vs. his range by ensuring he can never get away when you get there.
Thanks for your comments. My 3bet on the flop is as good as allin as it covers his stack. Once he check raises I figured he is pot committed but unfortunately he folded even after putting 59% of his stack in the pot. The reason I posted the hand was to see if that was the right approach to extracted the maximum value as on the flop I have 57% equity against opp's top 15% range.

Cheers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com