Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

im committed can't fold my rockets-big$11

Old
im committed can't fold my rockets-big$11 - Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
what else can I say?

Best hand you could ever have

Did my std raise. no more limping with rockets UTG

worst scenario - 4 players now a bad beat is possible --very possible acdg to pokerstove against 3 random hands my chance is only 61%

Flop: yes, rainbow only a straight draw possibility. I will only lose to a set I hope they don't have that.

I think I bet big enough for a gutshot straight draw to fold

but villain had another idea, and yes no sweat he got it on the turn.

can I still get away? with 1714chips left 8.57BB

OR if you have it then you have it then nice hand, sir

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

if you can't win with the best hand, it's not you day to win the tournament

to be able to ease the pain, I should have been busted earlier

just need to look at it one more time

this is my double up hand

I thought maybe this is it.

but poker gods have other plan, kid maybe tommorow

ONE TIME BIG TIME

Last edited by marvinsytan; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Looks good to me. Unlucky he hit, but you're definitely committed and betting for value. Not sure what he's doing calling on the flop. He should just shove and you should snap call.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Yes, definately have to raise your rockets. Depends on the table if smaller rasies are the norm but I think you can raise a bit more. 2.19x is pretty small and once you have the caller the blinds are getting a pretty good price. We don't need to worry about raising an akward amount because of our stack size because we are obviously happy to commit preflop vs any action.

Once you get the 3 callers. I like the bet to clear the field a bit, unfortunately with the arkward preflop stack size of 15BBs any bet here pretty much commits us. We could bet a little bit smaller on the flop to ensure the 1 pair hands are still calling us, maybe 1200 or 1300.

I don't think it matters too much what we do on the turn. I think the bet on the turn is fine. We aren't folding anyway. Check call allows opponent to bluff maybe. But a bet might fold out 2 pair or set of 3's from a very cautious player.

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar010 View Post
Yes, definately have to raise your rockets. Depends on the table if smaller rasies are the norm but I think you can raise a bit more. 2.19x is pretty small and once you have the caller the blinds are getting a pretty good price. We don't need to worry about raising an akward amount because of our stack size because we are obviously happy to commit preflop vs any action.

Once you get the 3 callers. I like the bet to clear the field a bit, unfortunately with the arkward preflop stack size of 15BBs any bet here pretty much commits us. We could bet a little bit smaller on the flop to ensure the 1 pair hands are still calling us, maybe 1200 or 1300.

I don't think it matters too much what we do on the turn. I think the bet on the turn is fine. We aren't folding anyway. Check call allows opponent to bluff maybe. But a bet might fold out 2 pair or set of 3's from a very cautious player.
Question:

My standard bet at this point is 2.19x. I done this twice or thrice already before having this. Do you think with UTG AA I need to change my betting pattern and change it to 3BB.

I just thought ok I'll just keep doing what am I doing to not give them a hint of what I have.

your right, when someone called the blinds are definitely coming in with any suited or connector hands

Postflop:

your right again, 1200 to 1300 is enough, I remember this play vividly, I was so scared myself that I don't want them to call anymore. I just want them to please just go away and I know the only player who will stay is the drawing hand, TP with good kicker or worst better hands than mine if someone shoves over the top I'm dead but where else can I go?

I need improvement. Don't play scared. It's ok to get cracked. It it happens it happens so be it nothing we can do.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post

My standard bet at this point is 2.19x. I done this twice or thrice already before having this. Do you think with UTG AA I need to change my betting pattern and change it to 3BB.
this is a great example of why I don't recommend a smaller std raise preflop. You DO want to make a std raise with AA, or any opening hand, to conceal it. It's why I use 3BB until I get to 200/400, then I lower it to 2.5BB from there on.
Anything less earlier invites too much action from other players that will call due to it not costing them a sizable amount of chips.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:56 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
this is a great example of why I don't recommend a smaller std raise preflop. You DO want to make a std raise with AA, or any opening hand, to conceal it. It's why I use 3BB until I get to 200/400, then I lower it to 2.5BB from there on.
Anything less earlier invites too much action from other players that will call due to it not costing them a sizable amount of chips.
well said Teacher

i need to change my betting pattern

less than 200/400 3BB and 200/400 2.5BB no more no less

follow up question:

when should I stop raising and just go fold/shove in this betting pattern?

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It depends on the tourney. I try to use 10BB, but will up it to 15BB for a turbo. It'll also depend on how close I am to the $$ and how many shorter stacks there are than me.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
It depends on the tourney. I try to use 10BB, but will up it to 15BB for a turbo. It'll also depend on how close I am to the $$ and how many shorter stacks there are than me.
lessons learned

put in my poker mind

thank you Teacher

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
what else can I say?

Best hand you could ever have

Did my std raise. no more limping with rockets UTG

worst scenario - 4 players now a bad beat is possible --very possible acdg to pokerstove against 3 random hands my chance is only 61%

Flop: yes, rainbow only a straight draw possibility. I will only lose to a set I hope they don't have that.

I think I bet big enough for a gutshot straight draw to fold

but villain had another idea, and yes no sweat he got it on the turn.

can I still get away? with 1714chips left 8.57BB

OR if you have it then you have it then nice hand, sir

if you can't win with the best hand, it's not you day to win the tournament

to be able to ease the pain, I should have been busted earlier

just need to look at it one more time

this is my double up hand

I thought maybe this is it.

but poker gods have other plan, kid maybe tommorow

ONE TIME BIG TIME
ouch gl next time

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 10:34 PM
(#10)
Quote:
well said Teacher

i need to change my betting pattern

less than 200/400 3BB and 200/400 2.5BB no more no less

follow up question:

when should I stop raising and just go fold/shove in this betting pattern?
Yeah I agree with JWK. You do want to keep your raise size the same if possible.

Personally I start with 3x. I drop it to 2.5x around the 50/100 level.

Then I leave it at 2.5x till the table is short handed and all the stacks are short. Then I'll drop it to 2.34. Unless there are alot of loose calling stations around, then I'll leave it at 2.5x.

I think the benefit of dropping below 2.5x is the cheapness of making steals. If you aren't doing alot of stealing, I rather keep it at 2.5x

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:33 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar010 View Post
Yeah I agree with JWK. You do want to keep your raise size the same if possible.

Personally I start with 3x. I drop it to 2.5x around the 50/100 level.

Then I leave it at 2.5x till the table is short handed and all the stacks are short. Then I'll drop it to 2.34. Unless there are alot of loose calling stations around, then I'll leave it at 2.5x.

I think the benefit of dropping below 2.5x is the cheapness of making steals. If you aren't doing alot of stealing, I rather keep it at 2.5x
Thank you so much for coming back and answer my follow up questions very much appreciated

I think 50/100 we can go 2.5x already rather than wait for 200/400 before going down to 2.5x so as to save chips as much as possible.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com