Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

shove or wait for good hand-3.5R 180man

Old
shove or wait for good hand-3.5R 180man - Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
5min level

6 players to go to be in the money

shove and hope everyone folds to be able to sneak in the money

or wait for one more orbit or good hands patiently

it's open to me

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by marvinsytan; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'm assuming it was folded to you. You've got 2 at your table with a lower stack, if there are 6 overall below you, I'm mucking this easily. If was a suited connector or 1-gap, it makes shoving now a much better play, but with it being a 2-gap, I'd wait and find a hand to shove with.

I wouldn't want to shove from mid position with a 2-gap unless I was already ITM and ladder climbing, even then, I'd try to wait for a better hand or to be button/CO before shoving it. I'd be much happier shoving Ax than a suited 2-gap here.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
If it folds to you I really like a shove. Taking down the blinds will add 7200 to your stack and you're not in terrible shape if called with your top 11% hand.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by oriholic; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:12 PM
(#4)
[QUOTE=JWK24;321259]I'm assuming it was folded to you. You've got 2 at your table with a lower stack, if there are 6 overall below you, I'm mucking this easily. If was a suited connector or 1-gap, it makes shoving now a much better play, but with it being a 2-gap, I'd wait and find a hand to shove with.

follow up question:

yes it's open to me

if it's 1-gap or better suited connector, it's ok to shove in this kind of situation?

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:33 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd be much happier shoving a suited connector or 1-gap here, than a 2-gap. It gives you a better chance to hit the straight.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
(#6)
Thank You Teachers

lessons learned

gonna stored in my poker mind

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Q9s is actually better than 87s and any smaller zero-gappers...And better than ATo and the smaller offsuit aces as well.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 10:34 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
That's shove or fold here. Poker gets easy in this spot. Im not a fan waiting to get itm to start chipping up... usually. You need chips to get through mincash and win some real money. This is a good spot to shove and see what happens. Ask yourself "what hand am I really waiting for?"

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 11:05 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
I'm amazed you can post with Tapatalk. I can't even log in using it.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:08 AM
(#10)
now I'm confused

this is both ways depending on the player

shove is ok and wait a little bit is ok too

hmm.... I thought this is easy

but all of your advices are well noted and very much appreciated

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:14 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Q9s is actually better than 87s and any smaller zero-gappers...And better than ATo and the smaller offsuit aces as well.

Q9s----ATo and better than Ace rags off

just want more info about this

I thought during this fold/shove stages any Ax suited or not is your best shoving option just for stealing because you might get called by any 2 faces which I'm ahead unlike Q9s we are behind with any K's and A's

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:21 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
That's shove or fold here. Poker gets easy in this spot. Im not a fan waiting to get itm to start chipping up... usually. You need chips to get through mincash and win some real money. This is a good spot to shove and see what happens. Ask yourself "what hand am I really waiting for?"

but 6 players to go, and Turbo you don't want to wait first and get your investment first before you gamble.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 03:08 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
The big reason Ax is good is because it holds a blocker to AA. The other reason is you will always have a live card unless called by AA. You will almost always have at least 33% equity when called, since it will often be by some pocket pair or big ace. And yes sometimes you'll get called by a suited or even unsuited broadway hand in which case you're barely ahead.

Hands like Q9s usually have very good equity when called, as they are often flipping with two suited overs or flipping with two suited middles. Look at Q9s vs. 55 and Q9s vs. A5o for some interesting numbers (and yes, QTs and JTs are even better). Even against a couple overcards it's not in bad shape. The only worry is QQ+. While you have blockers to QQ you don't against AA and KK, and are in very bad shape against those hands.

Basically what this all amounts to is that BOTH are GREAT for shoving as a steal, since they have pretty solid equity if called.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 04:20 PM
(#14)
6 to the money and you arent trying to steal! It shouldn't even be in your thoughts with reshove stacks behind. Fold all day long!

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:39 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Reshove stacks? He's jamming 7 BBs. Hard to get restolen from if you're already all-in. Also, those stacks should hate calling a shove. This looks like a really standard jam spot.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:13 AM
(#16)
IMO folding your way til itm is a major leak in a Turbo sng. its a shove in this spot because it is a Turbo.

Ive top 3 these a few times and realize you will not be very profitable playing for min cashes.

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:18 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
shove shove shove, min cash means nothing, you want to put yourself in position to win it

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com