Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

How to deal with reckless players?

Old
How to deal with reckless players? - Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
I was playing a 45 player Sit and go 25c buy in tonight and got to a point where I was doing fairly well, I had doubled my starting stack, was one of the big stacks on my table and was making quite good calls. Then things started to go downhill.

One of the players said in chat that basically it was a 25c tourney and "what the hell" he started playing extremely recklessly and going all in clearing up the little pots. Now this usually doesn't bother me as I wait my time then take them when they get too cocky. However I had Ace / 10 off suit in my hand and had called, this guy then goes all in on me, another player calls him.

So I'm sitting here thinking my hand is fairly good but why risk it, Im fairly certain he has nothing but neither do i and i don't want to drop half my stack when at this point i was positioned about 10th or lower in the tournament and right now my goal is to improve my game to a level where I can consistently beat 7th place so I'm winning back prize money.

Anyway I fold out, I was playing fairly tight and I didn't want to take the risk, the cards come and i would have had 2 pair, the guy who called has Q J and gets nothing, the reckless guy has something like K 4 and ends up winning with a pair of kings.

The guy eventually tried it one too many times and busted out, but how do you deal with a player that is doing this? And was I right to fold the A 10 ?

Im curious because this player doing this really put me off my game tonight, there were quite a few hands I might have called on to see the flop as I was doing well but I had to tighten back up again because I felt I didn't want to loose money in situations I wasn't prepared to match his all in.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatableCat View Post
Im curious because this player doing this really put me off my game tonight, there were quite a few hands I might have called on to see the flop as I was doing well but I had to tighten back up again because I felt I didn't want to loose money in situations I wasn't prepared to match his all in.
That's the key phrase, you LET him put you off your game. Nothing he does in within your control, therefore it shouldn't affect you.

Yes, I know this is easier said than done, but you can't allow someone else's play to control you if you want to be a winning player.

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I agree with what Joy has said.

Its tempting to call off with trash as he is playing trash, but you already know he's calling or you have to call all in...so wait for that hand and go for it.

Dave has a video on playing different player types I'll search for it.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ith-Aggression

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...r-exploitation

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ice-by-Example

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
let them win the small ones, but when you get a hand, have them double you.

Players like this will give the chips back just as fast as they got them.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 07:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I play a lot of freerolls on another site and have to face this many times in every game.

1st I like it when they keep putting their chips out there for me to grab. It makes my job of taking them so much easier.

2nd In the situation that you described I will always fold unless I have a PP of tens (sometimes I raise this to JJ or QQ depending on what I see from the maniacs holdings when he has to show his hand) or better or AK suited or not. The most important aspect of this IMO is that the maniac had already got a caller and this is why I would fold except for the stated hands. If there was no other caller then yes I would have opened up to any two broadway cards including the ATo you had.

Key point is if the maniac gets a caller ahead of you or you are in an early position with the majority of the table left to act then it's a fold almost every time.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 07:59 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
Thanks for all the replies, I'll look at the video links more closely today now its not so late.

Thinking about it what annoyed me most about the situation probably wasn't that this guy was playing maniac, but more that he was getting lucky so often lol.

Im also going to try the 1 table sit & go games rather than the multi tables till I can improve my game some more.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 08:11 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
That's the key phrase, you LET him put you off your game. Nothing he does in within your control, therefore it shouldn't affect you.

Yes, I know this is easier said than done, but you can't allow someone else's play to control you if you want to be a winning player.

So true. I have come to realize:
What I control: ME
What I don't control: EVERYTHING ELSE

Holds true in non-poker life as well

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
[QUOTE=Im also going to try the 1 table sit & go games rather than the multi tables till I can improve my game some more.[/QUOTE]

IMO the .25c 45 man is the easiest game. Better then the STT.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com